Sign in to follow this  
Rob Ainscough

Titan X Pascal improves FPS in XP11

Going from a Titan X to a Titan X Pascal, my expectations were low ... but pleasantly surprised to see a good increase in FPS and fewer long frames ... at my same test location/scenario went from 19 FPS forTitan X to 28 FPS for Titan X Pascal ... I guess it's true that Pascal does seem to work well with OpenGL.

Cheers, Rob.

• Upvote 1

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

That's good to know, but it might help if you post what resolution (and how many monitors) you're running, and how far you're pushing the settings.

I'm getting a minimum of 40 fps with a lowly GTX 970 on my rig with XP11 public beta 2. Sometimes it shoots up to 50-60 fps, but it's at least 40 fps over cities and other complex terrain. That's on a single 1920x1200 monitor, with X-Plane usually windowed a bit smaller so I can use Plan-G and other windowed utilities, and visual Visual Effects "High (HDR)." I'm also using HDv3 terrain mesh, with 32 gigs of RAM so that isn't causing any memory crunch.

I'm sure I could bump up some settings with a Pascal card. I'm waiting for the price of 1080's to come down. But for my setup, it will just be more eye candy settings. Frame rate is good here.

You where most likely GPU bound then. The original Titan isn't that fast anymore, around the same as a 970.

You where most likely GPU bound then. The original Titan isn't that fast anymore, around the same as a 970.

We're back again with NVIDIA's new Pascal-based Titan X graphics card, which has quite the leap in virtually every way over the Maxwell-based GeForce GTX Titan X. The original Titan X was made on the 28nm FinFET process with 3072 CUDA cores and its GPU clocked at 1.08GHz while the new Titan X is made on the exciting new 16nm FinFET process with 3584 CUDA cores and the GPU clocked at 1.53GHz. This offers around 60% more performance over the original Maxwell-based Titan X, and a pretty decent 20% or so leap over the current GeForce GTX 1080.

Wow... that's pretty nice. When I am going to buy a new PC I will be looking at this card. Or maybe the upcoming 1080 Ti. SLI has no use afaik so right now so this new Titan seems the one to get. If you are going for XP, that is.

I am holding out till I see what AMD has to offer with their ZEN CPU and the rumored Vega 10 card. Vega 10 is expected to come with 16GB HBM2 RAM with a bandwidth of 512GB/s !

Wow... that's pretty nice. When I am going to buy a new PC I will be looking at this card. Or maybe the upcoming 1080 Ti. SLI has no use afaik so right now so this new Titan seems the one to get. If you are going for XP, that is.

Jeroen I believe your hooked on XP11 - with good reason  :wink:

Jeroen I believe your hooked on XP11 - with good reason  :wink:

LOL Yeah, I am away from home for over a week and the only forum I follow on the other side of the world is this XP forum and I am looking forward to start up XP11 when I get home! I do not miss P3D at all and for now I have no reason to play that one anytime soon. So, yes, I guess I am hooked indeed. Time will tell for how long though.

LOL Yeah, I am away from home for over a week and the only forum I follow on the other side of the world is this XP forum and I am looking forward to start up XP11 when I get home! I do not miss P3D at all and for now I have no reason to play that one anytime soon. So, yes, I guess I am hooked indeed. Time will tell for how long though.

Needs some more high end aircraft payware that would be icing on the cake - That IXEG is pretty amazing wish they would make a 737-700/800    :wink:  did you see how easy it is to add a repaint drop the textures into livery folder and your done how cool is that

Oh yah 3 miles or 10 miles on final to runway spawn - yahoo and the recorder is so sweet

• Upvote 1

Interesting, I am waiting for the 1080ti to see how it performs in X-Plane 11 and will then decide.

Hi Rob

We have have not met but have seen many of your post on a lot of your benchmark testing.

I do testing in my line of work at my job but it also do it as a hobby of mine at home when building and making adjustment to my system. Sometime taken what I learn with me to work.

Thanks for running that test with the Titan X Pascal. I don't want my wife to see this but that is the card I planning to get.

Two year ago I bride her with the tea shirt that came with the Titan Black that I have now, in order to the get the card. I don't think I am going to be able get away with that, but since we are getting a new car that will be my excuse, will see.  :smile:

Anyway, I have not loaded the X plane beta 11 yet but still on 10.50 or 51, I had reach the limits on the TITAN Black with 6 gigs of memory use up on some scenario. 

I even overclock the TITAN Black it with 70 mhz gpu clock offset and 500 mhz memory offset and performs very well. Although I don't have to run at level of performance all the time. I keep the ambient temp below 75 deg when running a flight with the outside air. Although it is an unusual setup for most people, however its cold here so I take advantage of it for extreme overclocking. 

One test I perform is use is any aircraft and go to KLGA facing Manhattan and watch the load pickup on the CPU and GPU. 

Very interesting results.

Thanks again

Bob

What driver version are you on Rob?

I recently discovered that the DPC latency issues with the earlier drivers don't seem to have been resolved in the latest driver either. Seems a bit better, but still the driver causing most latency on my system, with a water cooled Titan XP.

That said - turning off thread optimization in Nvidia control panel gives a far better performance in XP 10/11:D

We're back again with NVIDIA's new Pascal-based Titan X graphics card, which has quite the leap in virtually every way over the Maxwell-based GeForce GTX Titan X. The original Titan X was made on the 28nm FinFET process with 3072 CUDA cores and its GPU clocked at 1.08GHz while the new Titan X is made on the exciting new 16nm FinFET process with 3584 CUDA cores and the GPU clocked at 1.53GHz. This offers around 60% more performance over the original Maxwell-based Titan X, and a pretty decent 20% or so leap over the current GeForce GTX 1080.

Exactly.

The old Titan X must have been a bottleneck then. Considering that reflection and object density are CPU bound all of us are bottlenecked by our CPU's and considering that the performance per year is negligible don't expect this to change anytime soon. When I upgraded from my old i7 2600k 4.5GHz the performance gain was not really that much different a considering that my old CPU was a few generations behind. 

Man, this has been setting my head in a spin. Just ordered a 21:9 screen and I am beginning to ponder an upgrade to my graphics card as well. First, I was kind of eyeing the 1080GTX. But it seems the TI might me just around the corner. 

But then I stumbled over this. Maybe I should go full crazy and order a Titan? 

I'm quite happy with the GTX1080 which drives my sim at 4480x1080 resolution. Of course if you have a 4x monitor and have funds to spare go for it.

That's good to know, but it might help if you post what resolution (and how many monitors) you're running, and how far you're pushing the settings. ...

For my needs I just needed to know the relative change on my system going from Titan X to Titan X Pascal.  Wasn't really trying to compare with other systems ... but if you'd like specifics:

Time: 10:27am 

Aircraft: Carenado S500 Shrike

Graphics Settings ...

- Visual Effects: Max

- Texture Quality: Max

- Number of World Objects: High

- Reflection Detail: Medium

- Anti Aliasing: 2XSSA+FXAA

- Shadows: On

- Resolution: 3840 x 2160 (8,294,400 pixels)

- FOV: 70

Weather: xEnviro - Rain/fog/overcast (real world weather)

xEnviro Settings ...

- Min RVR = 0

- Min Ceiling = 0

- Max Turbulence = 100

- Braking action = OFF

- Windshear = ON

- ThunderStorms = ON

- Weather update = 15 min

- Clouds ...

- Max Visible range = 160 Km

- Min Visible range = 1 km

- Detail range = 30 km

- Reflections range = 30 km

- Shadow range = 30 km (bug currently no cloud shadows showing in XP11)

- Cloud Brightness = 100

- Clouds crossfade speed = 100%

- Atmosphere settings ...

- Atmosphere = ON

- Rain Effect = ON

- Snow Effect = ON

- Lighting Effect = ON

- 2D rain drops = OFF (note ON reduces 2-3 FPS)

- 3D landing lights effect = ON

- 3D clouds passing effect = ON 

- Light scattering = ON

- Post Processing = OFF (note ON reduces 2 FPS, need latest 376.19 nVidia drivers or higher to avoid VC gray overlay)

- Sound = all at 100%

The original Titan is old - Feb 2013, Titan Black - Feb 2014, Titan X - March 2015, Titan X Pascal - Aug 2016 ... the 970 - Sept 2014 ... but just to be clear I went from two Titan X's to a single Titan X Pascal.

Oh no! The members in P3D forum will miss you.

He'll be back ... true flight simmers are always sniffing around other platforms to see what's new ... haha

Thanks for running that test with the Titan X Pascal. I don't want my wife to see this but that is the card I planning to get. ...

I have to buy something of similar value for my wife ... so all my PC upgrades actually cost 2X as much ... so this time she got a nice new iPad Pro 256 GB with pen, keyboard case, etc. 

What driver version are you on Rob?

I recently discovered that the DPC latency issues with the earlier drivers don't seem to have been resolved in the latest driver either. Seems a bit better, but still the driver causing most latency on my system, with a water cooled Titan XP.

That said - turning off thread optimization in Nvidia control panel gives a far better performance in XP 10/11:D

Using latest 376.19 I haven't tested for DPC latency - put I'll fire up performance monitor and take a look.  Thread optimization OFF produces about 1-2 FPS lower performance and increases long frame count ... apparently this setting appears to vary considerably from system to system.

Denco, on 10 Dec 2016 - 07:49 AM, said:
The old Titan X must have been a bottleneck then. Considering that reflection and object density are CPU bound all of us are bottlenecked by our CPU's and considering that the performance per year is negligible don't expect this to change anytime soon. 

I discovered that Process Explorer does NOT show accurate GPU usage results for OpenGL based apps/games/sims ... it stays at 100% GPU usage constantly.  Oddly EVGA Precision X OC for Titan X Pascal does show GPU usage in systray but not OSD ... (and EVGA Precision X OC doesn't support OpenGL) ... that value is around 40% GPU utilization.  

Denco, on 10 Dec 2016 - 09:50 AM, said:
I'm quite happy with the GTX1080 which drives my sim at 4480x1080 resolution. 

Yes, 4480 x 1080 is 4,838,400 pixels ... I'm running 3840 x 2160 so 8,294,400 pixels (almost 2X more pixels in a single 4K monitor).

Will upload video of my findings later.

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: Multi-Quote limits, grrr

For my needs I just needed to know the relative change on my system going from Titan X to Titan X Pascal.  Wasn't really trying to compare with other systems ... but if you'd like specifics:

{snip}

Graphics Settings ...

Thanks, I was wondering why I'm getting such higher frame rates on a GTX 970 (40fps+), and the answer would seem to be your much higher monitor resolution -- 3840x2160 vs, my 1920x1200, and the fact that you're on Max setting and I'm on High.

Otherwise I'm on the same settings. I'm guessing most of the difference is monitor resolution, since a move from High(HDR) to Max doesn't drastically affect my frame rate. I'm just keeping it on High so I can stay above the 40fps threshold.

Time: 10:27am 

Aircraft: Carenado S500 Shrike

Graphics Settings ...

Weather: xEnviro - Rain/fog/overcast (real world weather)

xEnviro Settings ...

- Min RVR = 0

- Min Ceiling = 0

- Max Turbulence = 100

- Braking action = OFF

- Windshear = ON

- ThunderStorms = ON

- Weather update = 15 min

- Clouds ...

- Max Visible range = 160 Km

- Min Visible range = 1 km

- Detail range = 30 km

- Reflections range = 30 km

- Shadow range = 30 km (bug currently no cloud shadows showing in XP11)

- Cloud Brightness = 100

- Clouds crossfade speed = 100%

- Atmosphere settings ...

- Atmosphere = ON

- Rain Effect = ON

- Snow Effect = ON

- Lighting Effect = ON

- 2D rain drops = OFF (note ON reduces 2-3 FPS)

- 3D landing lights effect = ON

- 3D clouds passing effect = ON 

- Light scattering = ON

- Post Processing = OFF (note ON reduces 2 FPS, need latest 376.19 nVidia drivers or higher to avoid VC gray overlay)

- Sound = all at 100%

The original Titan is old - Feb 2013, Titan Black - Feb 2014, Titan X - March 2015, Titan X Pascal - Aug 2016 ... the 970 - Sept 2014 ... but just to be clear I went from two Titan X's to a single Titan X Pascal.

He'll be back ... true flight simmers are always sniffing around other platforms to see what's new ... haha

I have to buy something of similar value for my wife ... so all my PC upgrades actually cost 2X as much ... so this time she got a nice new iPad Pro 256 GB with pen, keyboard case, etc. 

Using latest 376.19 I haven't tested for DPC latency - put I'll fire up performance monitor and take a look.  Thread optimization OFF produces about 1-2 FPS lower performance and increases long frame count ... apparently this setting appears to vary considerably from system to system.

Denco, on 10 Dec 2016 - 07:49 AM, said:

The old Titan X must have been a bottleneck then. Considering that reflection and object density are CPU bound all of us are bottlenecked by our CPU's and considering that the performance per year is negligible don't expect this to change anytime soon. 

I discovered that Process Explorer does NOT show accurate GPU usage results for OpenGL based apps/games/sims ... it stays at 100% GPU usage constantly.  Oddly EVGA Precision X OC for Titan X Pascal does show GPU usage in systray but not OSD ... (and EVGA Precision X OC doesn't support OpenGL) ... that value is around 40% GPU utilization.  

Denco, on 10 Dec 2016 - 09:50 AM, said:

I'm quite happy with the GTX1080 which drives my sim at 4480x1080 resolution. 

Yes, 4480 x 1080 is 4,838,400 pixels ... I'm running 3840 x 2160 so 8,294,400 pixels (almost 2X more pixels in a single 4K monitor).

Will upload video of my findings later.

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: Multi-Quote limits, grrr

Are you able to compare the 2 cards in VR?

Thanks

Jay

I overclocked the heck out of my Strix 1080 and got about 8 more fps in X11 from stock clocks. I think the 1080ti is in my future though and I will overclock it as well. 

If and when the GTX 1080 ti is released, it may be more cost-effective than the Titan X Pascal. But 2 gigs less VRAM and 10% fewer CUDA cores than the Titan X Pascal will position it in a similar fashion to the old GTX 980 ti.

All that means is if you waited to upgrade from a GTX 980, you will love it. But going from a GTX 1080 to a GTX 1080 ti there may not be as noticeable a jump in performance. And the guesstimated prices are around $800-900 US.

Yes of course my mistake, still SLI doesn't do anything in XP, good choice ditching the dual GPOU setup.

If and when the GTX 1080 ti is released, it may be more cost-effective than the Titan X Pascal. But 2 gigs less VRAM and 10% fewer CUDA cores than the Titan X Pascal will position it in a similar fashion to the old GTX 980 ti.

All that means is if you waited to upgrade from a GTX 980, you will love it. But going from a GTX 1080 to a GTX 1080 ti there may not be as noticeable a jump in performance. And the guesstimated prices are around $800-900 US.

Let us hope that it is only $800. I went from 27fps to 32fps in P3D by overclocking the stock 1080 so I am sure there will be at least another 5 or so fps jump going from that to a stock 1080ti.

Hi there Rob!

Have you watercooled that Pascal, or are you running it with stock fans?

I'm lloking at this baby as well for my new build - if I can get hold of one. They're few and far between. Seems to me that SLI for flight simming just isn't worth it in terms of extra $$ vs. performance, so I'd rather invest in a TItan card.

I have not yet decided about my screen solution, so it might affect my choice down the line. I'm considering a triple monitor setup with a SpaceArm Multi Monitor Mount.