Sign in to follow this  
dvlourie

Updating Frequencies in FSX

I have been using FSX for many years and recently starting flying in the real world with a Piper Archer. I have an iPad I use in the plane and also at home connected to my simulator using bluetooth. Real world frequencies are gotten thru Garmin Pilot which is updated frequently and compared to sectional charts quite accurate. So, here is the problem. I believe FSX "hard-coded" the frequencies for many airports and they are not accurate. I know I can just click on ATC and let FSX pick the frequency but since I use Saitek's Radio Panel it would be nice to be able to update the program. I hope I have explained what I am looking for and if anyone has any ideas, I thank you in advance.

Bert, thanks for the response and the great find! But...I am looking for a way to change the coded frequency for AWOS/ATIS in some local airports here in Illinois? For example:

KVYS in the real world uses 120.025 as the ATIS but FSX uses 118.25?? I know I have a large wish list but I am hoping to find a way to update the frequencies in FSX? Any thoughts?

Guest tymk

Unfortunately, there's no easy way to do that "in bulk", as the frequencies are contained in individual AFCAD files that need to be decompiled, modified using a tool like ADE and then recompiled. I've used this method for some of the fields I frequently use, but it's by no means a straighforward process...

Wow!  That sounded great.. until I read "fsAerodata includes the capability to drive and simulate SIDs and STAR procedures with the default GPS units (on Prepar3D only)."

As I'm a FSX only user that limits its usefulness to me.

Bummer

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

Thanks everyone for the comments. I thought that ADE might work. I will try tomorrow evening. I used ADE to "re-create" KVYS and other area GA airports that I fly to. Thanks again.

That you manually tune and use ATIS/AWOS is very admirable.

If you ever fly "real world", please do not use FSX (MS or Steam)

as a data base, or any of the other dozen data sites sites that

instruct they are not for use in real world flight planning.

A $100,000 simulator cannot compete with real world FSS (Flight Service Station).

Sims don't give briefings, PIREPS, TFRs or NOTAMS.

Watch Jason file a flight plan real world:

During the briefing, he doesn't, but he could ask for frequency confirmations.

Don't forget to inform FSS you have arrived at your destination, or they will start

searching for you.

N99WB

That you manually tune and use ATIS/AWOS is very admirable.

If you ever fly "real world", please do not use FSX (MS or Steam)

as a data base, or any of the other dozen data sites sites that

instruct they are not for use in real world flight planning.

A $100,000 simulator cannot compete with real world FSS (Flight Service Station).

Sims don't give briefings, PIREPS, TFRs or NOTAMS.

n99wb,

I could agree more about the fact that a sim cannot compare to real world flying. Jason is a great CFI and I have followed him for a long time. I have been using a sim for many year (almost 20) and when I started real world training, I immediately noticed the differences - mainly the "feel" of the real world airplane. But, I will say that flying on a sim, my time of training (and cost) was greatly reduced! FSX with some special add-ons along with PilotEdge comes pretty close. Here in Illinois, weather this time of the year doesn't always allow for flying, so using the sim keeps me sharp and ready a great day in the sky!