Sign in to follow this  
TexasGary

HUD Fading In & Out

I am using W10 with P3D V3.4, the PMDG 738NGX, AS 2016, TrackIR, and the latest version of FSUIPC. I recently noticed a weird issue with the HUD. In clear skies the HUD works fine. But while going thru clouds, the HUD display kind of "fades" in and out (i.e. goes from normal brightness to very dim and back). Its like the HUD is actually outside the aircraft passing thru the clouds. I tried switching from auto to manual mode, turning the brightness up all the way, and zooming my POV in and out, but that didn't help. Any ideas on this one?

Thanks.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Any ideas on this one?

The way AS2016 simulates the vapor on the windshield can interfere with the HUD. I can't remember what the setting is to turn that function off, but I think you are able to.

Any ideas on this one?

In AS16 options, untick cloud motion effect and see if that makes any difference. I believe that is what Kyle Rodgers is writing about.

Thanks guys.  I unchecked both of these and that seems to have fixed it.  These are really cool effects, but not worth interfering with the HUD.

I think it is only the wing fade effect that causes this. You should be able to switch the cloud motion effect back on.

What is the wing fade effect anyhow? I only recently turned the cloud motion effect on after SP1 but do have the wing fade on as well. I've been doing a lot of LIFR and BCAT1 landings just for this effect but I can't see that it's doing anything? What is the purpose??

I do really like the cloud effect though. I had it work so well today and it's cool at night since you can't see anyhow lol. The landing lights illuminate the cloud some and it's nice.