Sign in to follow this  
calypso

Apologies to the purists but ...............

Although I am aware that the majority of 727s did not have an autothrottle, I would very much like to fit one as an option on my Captain Sim 727-100 and 200.

The aircraft.cfg is already showing the authrottle as enabled, but the default commands Shift/R (arm) and Ctrl/R (engage) do not work.

Any ideas, please?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

It's my understanding that you'd need an auto throttle gauge on the panel for it to work, which you could of course add fairly easily.

But as you note, it was/is unusual for a 727 to even have an auto throttle. As far as I know it would only be Valsan/Raisbeck modifications, aka Super 27s, which might have one. It was possible to add an auto throttle to an original 727 variant, but it apparently required so much tweaking that no major airlines considered it worth the cost.

In my TDS 727-200 I have installed the 737-400 autopilot as a popup and all functions works like a charm.

Managed to get a limited but useful auto throttle to work.

I set the arming to 0 and Ctrl/R will now hold my speed.

I normally prefer to fly without it, but I sometimes use it on finals to maintain my approach speeds.

for cruse I could understand, but that is the fun of landing, manually doing everything including throttles. Even the 777 that most carriers say keep the AT engaged I like to fly manually

Not sure how realistically the CS 727 flies, but 3000-4000 lbs of fuel flow (depending on weight and flap setting) will put you right on in the ballpark. This was a widely used technique for real Trisaurus drivers.

Autothrottles on 727s was very much an option from 1980 onward, mostly in conjunction with the PDCS (a prehistoric FMS):

https://www.flightglobal.com/FlightPDFArchive/1980/1980%20-%202774.PDF

PDCS (a prehistoric FMS):

I love the PDCS. I like the aircraft that are older, but not too old and have some cool stuff like INS's etc. The CS737 was pretty good too and had a PDCS. I should install that one again and take a closer look.