Sign in to follow this  
downscc

One Solution to Pauses/Long Frames

I've been chasing this down for weeks, it is those annoying pauses lasting 1-3 sec sometimes longer.  I initially thought it was the long frame "stutter" that happens when P3D is loading scenery objects but I ruled that out.  This turns out to have nothing to do with P3D setup and is a quirk with Windows Defender.

I noticed the pauses always had a significant increase in kernel activity on the CPU activity charts and a burst of activity on the I/O chart signifying SDD activity.  I finally tracked this down to the MsMpEng module, and with the help of Google I found that this is the Windows Defender engine and there were many many links in Google regarding this exact same problem.  Hopefully the fix is simply adding the C:\Program Files\Windows Defender folder to the exclusion list. Evidently, if Defender scans itself there is a burst in CPU activity that causes other running programs to slow down.  In P3D the effect is similar to a long frame.

I've only got an hour of testing for this fix but I'm hopeful I've eliminated those annoying pauses.

Dan Downs KCRP

I will be very interested in your results because I also have these pauses. 

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

That's why I have it turned off

scan.jpg

Just run malwarebites once every 2 weeks. Also delete that after you have used it, Just re DL when you need it.

DL>Run>Delete, repeat when even you feel the need!

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

You might want to add an exclusion to the P3D folder so it doesn't scan it. I run both MWB & WDefend but exclude my Sim drive in both. 

Regards,

Pivot

i9-10900k * 64Gb Ram * MSI RTX 4070 Ti Gaming X Trio * Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Headset * Win11 Home x64 * Oculus Rift-S * Tobii ET 5 * TM Warthog Combo, Honeycomb Alpha & Saitek Pro-Rudders

You might want to add an exclusion to the P3D folder so it doesn't scan it. I run both MWB & WDefend but exclude my Sim drive in both. 

This is already a normal practice, that of course everybody should strictly follow.

Cheers, Ed

I will be very interested in your results because I also have these pauses. 

Me too!.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

I have Kaspersky already for like 6-7 years on my machine, through both FSX and P3D, excluded all that is FS, and 0 problems... why not resort to a something professional, one of the top A/V on the market? Any reason not to?

I have Kaspersky already for like 6-7 years on my machine, through both FSX and P3D, excluded all that is FS, and 0 problems... why not resort to a something professional, one of the top A/V on the market? Any reason not to?

What I believe Dan is suggesting is that you should exclude the Windows Defender folder from your A/V scanning activity, whichever you use (Kapersky, Norton, ESET, Avira, etc.).

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Well, I think that only applies if Windows Defender is actually active... which it isn't if you have Kaspersky installed. It disabled Win. Defender through the windows policy.

Just finished a KIAH-PANC trip in N465MC Atlas Pax B744 block time 7+30. No pauses/long frames except as expected when AS Anchorage is loading scenery objects, which is expected.  None of the annoying pauses at random times during the session. Good news.

Dan Downs KCRP

Just finished a KIAH-PANC trip in N465MC Atlas Pax B744 block time 7+30. No pauses/long frames except as expected when AS Anchorage is loading scenery objects, which is expected.  None of the annoying pauses at random times during the session. Good news.

So what did you change, if anything?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

So what did you change, if anything?

gb.

Sometimes it's a good idea to read up!.

Cheers, Ed

Sometimes it's a good idea to read up!.

Opps.. sorry about that, brain snap. too many topics.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.