Sign in to follow this  
steve howlett

Earths population 7.5 billion approx?

just a thought i had the other day..

How many use Flight simulators .is it in the millions.of course there are people with no access to the internet and living in the rainforests and places like that.

just wondering how big our community really is.

steve

just a thought i had the other day..

How many use Flight simulators .is it in the millions.of course there are people with no access to the internet and living in the rainforests and places like that.

just wondering how big our community really is.

steve

Yeah, in my town of about 20,000 people, I have only met 1 other person who was a flight sim enthusiast. I have nothing against this, but he used X-Plane and I use FSX SE!  :Big Grin:

Next to Office, FS was MS's best selling product for many years. I expect that most folks got it, flew it a few times, and put it away. No one knows how many long time enthusiasts there are.

DJ

FS was MS's best selling product for many years.

DJ

FS was MS's best selling game product for many years.

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Probably the majority of flight simmers are not active online.

spacer.png

Another interesting thought is the average age of the flight sim community. I think it would be much much higher than the average age of the gaming community.

Hopefully there are enough young people coming into this hobby to ensure it's future.

Another interesting thought is the average age of the flight sim community. I think it would be much much higher than the average age of the gaming community.

Hopefully there are enough young people coming into this hobby to ensure it's future.

I'm only 14 and have been on X-Plance since age 12.... now i'm on FSX steam edition. I don;t know anyone else my age who has also been virtually flying since age 12.

I think the MS FS 'franchise is older than Windows. Goes back to DOS days. I don't think that there is any other 'game' in existence that has such a huge online community with respect to forums, add on developers etc.

Wonder if Bill Gates has ever seen what has been done with good old FSX. With today's scenery, airport and aircraft addons, not to mention the hardware, it has come such a long way and created an entire industry.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

I'm only 14 and have been on X-Plance since age 12.... now i'm on FSX steam edition. I don;t know anyone else my age who has also been virtually flying since age 12.

I started at 12 as well but back in 1983, I had an Apple 2e and we used to trade 5.5" Floppy Disks around the school yard with different games on them. One day I took home Flight Simulator 1 and I got hooked right away. I am 45 years old now and still active with it, I've had every release since the beginning.

I will never forget being 12 and how amazing I thought it was, even though FS1 is nothing like we have today

• Upvote 1

Matthew Kane

I started at 12 as well but back in 1983, I had an Apple 2e and we used to trade 5.5" Floppy Disks around the school yard with different games on them. One day I took home Flight Simulator 1 and I got hooked right away. I am 45 years old now and still active with it, I've had every release since the beginning.

I will never forget being 12 and how amazing I thought it was, even though FS1 is nothing like we have today

Wow, that's amazing! It's amazing to see how far technology has come... Even in the last 10 years

5 emo jis delet ed on this book burning site

Or

Howdy!

Good on you

Long live and prosper

Don't become a hermit...people matter

Chas

• Upvote 1

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

One other thing is definitely true about this community: it's a complete sausage fest.

That's made my day.. I saw a girl flying on vatsim the other day. First time ever.

14ppkc-6.png