Sign in to follow this  
jadt

racing across the Pacific at Mach 1

okay ... just very favourable tailwinds enroute UAL892 to SFO.

24dlee0.jpg

GS 644 would be about M 1.0 at sea level.

GS644 would still be Mach .85 on at sea level, given the same wind. Mach goes off of TAS not GS.

• Upvote 1

My highest tailwind was this past winter on a PACOTS route from RJAA where I observed 173 kts on my tail....lovely.

Dan Downs KCRP

12 hours ago, downscc said:

My highest tailwind was this past winter on a PACOTS route from RJAA

Speed isn't everything :laugh:

Unfortunately, if you're flying to an airport with a morning curfew, you would probably spend all your time in a holding pattern waiting to land (RJAA included). Also, at congested airports, you're not always guaranteed a gate, so you may be waiting on the ground with most of your engines running until one becomes available.

Our flights to RJAA would make sure they wouldn't arrive too early, so you could spend a long time on the ground before engine startup. Over the years, II spent a few idle hours sitting on the nosewheel twiddling my thumbs until we were called into action (for pushback). I think the Japanese passengers must have gone into shock... They're used to trains and planes departing on the scheduled second.

John H Watson (retired 744/767 Avionics engineer)

1 hour ago, Qavion2 said:

Speed isn't everything :laugh:

Unfortunately, if you're flying to an airport with a morning curfew, you would probably spend all your time in a holding pattern waiting to land (RJAA included). Also, at congested airports, you're not always guaranteed a gate, so you may be waiting on the ground with most of your engines running until one becomes available.

Our flights to RJAA would make sure they wouldn't arrive too early, so you could spend a long time on the ground before engine startup. Over the years, II spent a few idle hours sitting on the nosewheel twiddling my thumbs until we were called into action (for pushback). I think the Japanese passengers must have gone into shock... They're used to trains and planes departing on the scheduled second.

at least they arrive on time ... :happy:

I love the fact I can cruise around at M0.90 on this bird with no issues most of the time. The 37.5degree wing sweep and the engines really help with this.

On vatsim I have been asked to state my mach a few times, I just calmly state M.9, don't usually get a followup question except for training controllers.

(Yes I realize that this is not realistic and M.85 would be more normal, but a) I dont actually have to pay for the fuel and b) I plan the flight at .9 on PFPX, so have enough fuel.)

EDIT: If weather is choppy I bring it back to .86 or so for buffet margin.