Quink

FMS route waypoint verification

Recommended Posts

On page 40.0 of the Tutorial manual it outlines the steps to access the LS6R "STEP" prompt which allows one to "walk" through each enroute waypoint in the loaded flight plan. This pre-flight verification is a required item prior to departure at least on my former airline.  In Mike Ray's, who was one of the beta testers on our "Queen" and a former UAL 747-400 Captain's wonderful book, 747-400 PILOT HANDBOOK - SIMULATOR AND CHECKRIDE PROCEDURES, He outlines the same procedure but in greater detail on page 100.

I have tried both sets of steps and am totally unable to bring up the "STEP" prompt. Any advice from someone has been able to bring it up would be most appreciated.

As one who has been through enough RW check rides and Proficiency checks on the 747-400 I can not recommend Mike's above mentioned book highly enough.  I wish it had existed back in the days when I had to go play "You bet your job" twice a year.  If you're interested you can find this gem here.......

www.utem.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi,

You need to set the ND to plan mode (EFIS ND mode selector to PLN) then call the leg page on the CDU.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As they say in Australia, Budbud, "Been there, done that, Mate!"

1) Select PLN on the EFIS Control Unit

2) Once PLN is selected go to LEGS page

3) The prompt STEP should now be present in the lower right corner, LS6R,............but it's not!

Thanks, however, for the attempted help

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is in the place of STEP: ACTIVATE?

Not sure that it is related but have you already set the IRS to NAV when you check your leg page?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do the the following (yeah I know that's a 737, but it's the same on the 747). Note that it can go squiffy if you don't load your fancy jetliner from a default FS aeroplane:

7372_zpszbjhhire.jpg

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have to be using the Left CDU to step though the plan with the ND.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In LS6R RTE DATA is showing.  The flight was loaded as shown in The Tutorial Flight with the INS' running and as of now the flight plan has been loaded and activated and show, at the top of the LEGS page as ACT RTE 1 LEGS.  The three INS switches are in the NAV position with no error indication of any kind showing anywhere.

The airplane is sitting at the end of RW17R at KDEN almost ready for T/O.

Thanks for the "above and beyond" effort to help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To all of you thanks for your help!

downscc, "You done broke the code",

You must use the left CDU only to get the STEP prompt! In the latest edition of my major international airline's flight manual this verification procedure is specifically assigned to the First Officer prior to flight. I, logically, though mistakenly, assumed it would therefore be done on the F/O's CDU and thus I used that one.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UPDATE

I finally remembered how we used to be able to do this from the right seat so the F/O could do the required verification of the waypoints;

1) Select PLAN on the right hand EFIS.

2) On the right hand INSTRUMENT SOURCE selector panel place the NAV selector switch to

FMC L

3) On the right hand CDU select the LEGS page and there on the right side LS6R you will see the STEP prompt. 

Don't forget to turn the INSTRUMENT SOURCE SELECTOR back to NAV FMC R!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see why you would need to go through all this on a 747-400 (unless it's a PMDG-limitation). If you're sitting in the F/O's seat, as long as you are using the F/O's ND, the F/O's EFIS CP and the right CDU, you shouldn't have any problems.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember getting crazy few times and wondering..."why this doesn't work now and I know it worked before....?"....until I realized I am using right FMC....small thing that we sometimes don't pay attention....You get sidetracked with something, looking at the million switches and lights....Once I was unable to gain altitude for 10 min..... until I realized that I accidentally hit Gear down?! and did not notice....LOL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Qavion2 said:

I don't see why you would need to go through all this on a 747-400 (unless it's a PMDG-limitation). If you're sitting in the F/O's seat, as long as you are using the F/O's ND, the F/O's EFIS CP and the right CDU, you shouldn't have any problems.

 

Agree with John, you should be able to step through the Route using the right CDU without taking your NAV ISSS and going to FMC L, that is crazy, I will try it next time I have my platform open. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Quink said:

UPDATE

I finally remembered how we used to be able to do this from the right seat so the F/O could do the required verification of the waypoints;

1) Select PLAN on the right hand EFIS.

2) On the right hand INSTRUMENT SOURCE selector panel place the NAV selector switch to

FMC L

3) On the right hand CDU select the LEGS page and there on the right side LS6R you will see the STEP prompt. 

Don't forget to turn the INSTRUMENT SOURCE SELECTOR back to NAV FMC R!

 

You do not need to do this for the PMDG 747-400, it works identical on the FO side as it does on the Captains side as long as you have Plan Mode selected and are on the Legs page. You should not have to touch the NAV ISSS, that is what we would call negative training if you had to do that. PMDG works as the jet/real simulator does...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2017 at 4:16 PM, downscc said:

You have to be using the Left CDU to step though the plan with the ND.

Why, you can use either CDU???

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure, but that's how it works....as far as I know there is switch that you can change to FMC L or FMC R...(under MCP) your choice. I always keep on FMC L. However not sure how is in real machine but I belive  that PMDG made it accurately....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The switch you are referring to under the MCP is the FMC Master Switch. It determines which FMC provides information to the FCC's, EEC's, and NAV RADIOS. So, when you are in LNAV and VNAV, and the switch is in L, the AUTOPILOT is receiving left FMC DATA to fly the airplane in LNAV and VNAV, the A/T is using the Thrust Management Function of the Left FMC for VNAV, and the NAV radios are being auto tuned by the left FMC.

This switch has no effect on what is displayed on the  ND for stepping through the route on the legs page...

On 3/24/2017 at 9:58 AM, rwy23 said:

Not sure, but that's how it works....as far as I know there is switch that you can change to FMC L or FMC R...(under MCP) your choice. I always keep on FMC L. However not sure how is in real machine but I belive  that PMDG made it accurately....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/03/2017 at 1:58 AM, rwy23 said:

Not sure, but that's how it works....

Captain Al is telling you how the real aircraft works.

You don't need to touch the L/R FMC switch or the Instrument Source Switches. If you're sitting in the Captain's seat, simply use the Left CDU, Left EFIS Control Panel and Left ND to step through the route pages.  If you're sitting in the F/O's seat, use the Right CDU, the Right EFIS Control Panel  and the Right ND. You don't have to touch anything else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Captain_Al said:

The switch you are referring to under the MCP is the FMC Master Switch. It determines which FMC provides information to the FCC's, EEC's, and NAV RADIOS. So, when you are in LNAV and VNAV, and the switch is in L, the AUTOPILOT is receiving left FMC DATA to fly the airplane in LNAV and VNAV, the A/T is using the Thrust Management Function of the Left FMC for VNAV, and the NAV radios are being auto tuned by the left FMC.

This switch has no effect on what is displayed on the  ND for stepping through the route on the legs page...

 

Thanks...I didn't mean display I meant functionality....I actually never touch that...no need to play since I am the only driver, lol, but indeed, few times I tried stepping thru plan from right MCD and didn't work on my surprise so I was wondering..... sometimes,  flying you are paying attention to all displays but you miss obvious...LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now