gregmorin

[Resolved] FSDT & Flight Beam PD3V4 install

Recommended Posts

I have been actively simming since FS98. There is still a lot to learn when a new simulator is released. My objective was to get my FSDT and Flight Beam airports up and working in PD3V4 and remain working in PD3V3. I retrospect think the new system is fantastic. It allows you to have the airports working in both simulators with only one install on your hard drive. It sure saves space and it works well. However, I fumbled around for a long time and at least 4 install uninstall cycles before I hit on a few key points.

1. The new installer wants to install in a predetermined place on your "C" drive. A have a small 250 GB ssd for the operating system, a 1TB ssd for my flight simulator files and a 2TB hhd for storage and back up. No way I want scenery files on the "C" drive. The good news is that you browse to a location of your choosing. Please be careful in your selection because after you install the first airport ALL future installs will got the same place. The only way to change the location is to uninstall everything! Yes I experienced this. The installer will automatically move every FSDT and Flight Beam airport to this location as part of the first install process. For 20 years I have been installing everything inside the sim root folder, so I had to try that first no matter what the directions said. Not a good idea. The add on Manager in now installed F/Add on Manager.

2. The new installers installs to both simulators at the same time! My experience has been that you needed to run the installer for each simulator you had. You should leave both sims checked if you are going to continue using PD3V3 along side PD3V4, as I am. Again, I ran the installer twice for both sims at least once. It is not necessary.

3. You must unistall SODE first not matter how recent your version is. It is listed as SimObject Display Engine in the program section of the control manager in Windows 7.

4. You must download and install the new GSX installer. This is how the compatible SODE  will be installed. Failure to do so will cause everything to work fine in PD3V3 but nothing in PD3V4. You will see the trial mode started message and no buildings in PD3V4 if you do not install the GSX. You will be unable to successfully register your code for the airport in PD3V4. I know I tried numerous times. You can enter the code and press register but nothing happens. The reality is that if you have registered in one of the sims that is good for both. 

5. I recommend that you uninstall all your FSDT and Flight Beam airports from PD3V3 first. You are going to download the installers to get everything in PD3V4 working and I think it is cleaner to just have one install entry. The first time I tried and let the installed airports in PD3V3 be moved, I had to run two uninstall operations for each airport.

I hope this long post will help save somebody some time and frustration. I really think this is a better system, once you get it working.

Greg

 

 

Edited by Poppet
[Resolved]
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Cheers for this, I noticed this lastnight after 30mins playing around I called it night

I will have another go today

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, gregmorin said:

I hope this long post will help save somebody some time and frustration. I really think this is a better system, once you get it working.

Perfect timing in my case.  I've just finished the Orbx FTX Central 3.2 install into P3Dv4 and was contemplating my addon scenery strategy for FSDT/Flightbeam. Many thanks Greg.

Share this post


Link to post

Crap I only left V4 selected even though I will likely run V3 for a bit longer.  Will the installer have done anything to mess with my original installation in V3?  Or does it just mean that I will have each scenery installed twice.

Share this post


Link to post
57 minutes ago, gregmorin said:

I have been actively simming since FS98. There is still a lot to learn when a new simulator is released. My objective was to get my FSDT and Flight Beam airports up and working in PD3V4 and remain working in PD3V3. I retrospect think the new system is fantastic. It allows you to have the airports working in both simulators with only one install on your hard drive. It sure saves space and it works well. However, I fumbled around for a long time and at least 4 install uninstall cycles before I hit on a few key points.

1. The new installer wants to install in a predetermined place on your "C" drive. A have a small 250 GB ssd for the operating system, a 1TB ssd for my flight simulator files and a 2TB hhd for storage and back up. No way I want scenery files on the "C" drive. The good news is that you browse to a location of your choosing. Please be careful in your selection because after you install the first airport ALL future installs will got the same place. The only way to change the location is to uninstall everything! Yes I experienced this. The installer will automatically move every FSDT and Flight Beam airport to this location as part of the first install process. For 20 years I have been installing everything inside the sim root folder, so I had to try that first no matter what the directions said. Not a good idea. The add on Manager in now installed F/Add on Manager.

2. The new installers installs to both simulators at the same time! My experience has been that you needed to run the installer for each simulator you had. You should leave both sims checked if you are going to continue using PD3V3 along side PD3V4, as I am. Again, I ran the installer twice for both sims at least once. It is not necessary.

3. You must unistall SODE first not matter how recent your version is. It is listed as SimObject Display Engine in the program section of the control manager in Windows 7.

4. You must download and install the new GSX installer. This is how the compatible SODE  will be installed. Failure to do so will cause everything to work fine in PD3V3 but nothing in PD3V4. You will see the trial mode started message and no buildings in PD3V4 if you do not install the GSX. You will be unable to successfully register your code for the airport in PD3V4. I know I tried numerous times. You can enter the code and press register but nothing happens. The reality is that if you have registered in one of the sims that is good for both. 

5. I recommend that you uninstall all your FSDT and Flight Beam airports from PD3V3 first. You are going to download the installers to get everything in PD3V4 working and I think it is cleaner to just have one install entry. The first time I tried and let the installed airports in PD3V3 be moved, I had to run two uninstall operations for each airport.

I hope this long post will help save somebody some time and frustration. I really think this is a better system, once you get it working.

Greg

 

 

Thanks now i know what i did wrong

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, sfgiants13 said:

Crap I only left V4 selected even though I will likely run V3 for a bit longer.  Will the installer have done anything to mess with my original installation in V3?  Or does it just mean that I will have each scenery installed twice.

I do not think it hurts anything to have the original file in PD3V3. If you notice issues just uninstall and re-install.

Greg

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, 331BK said:

Thanks now i know what i did wrong

You are welcome.

Greg

Share this post


Link to post
49 minutes ago, downscc said:

Perfect timing in my case.  I've just finished the Orbx FTX Central 3.2 install into P3Dv4 and was contemplating my addon scenery strategy for FSDT/Flightbeam. Many thanks Greg.

You are welcome Dan. thanks for all you do for our hobby.

Greg

Share this post


Link to post
52 minutes ago, jeansy said:

Cheers for this, I noticed this lastnight after 30mins playing around I called it night

I will have another go today

Good luck Matt! I love your repaints!

Thanks for all you do.

Greg

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, gregmorin said:

I have been actively simming since FS98. There is still a lot to learn when a new simulator is released. My objective was to get my FSDT and Flight Beam airports up and working in PD3V4 and remain working in PD3V3.

Just one question: based on your experience, could I leave my P3Dv3.4 installation as it is, in the same drive and within the sim (old method), and proceed to install the FSDT and FB airports in P3Dv4 with the new installers and new method outside the main sim folder?. I'm not bothering too much about leaving P3Dv3 files untouched and duplicated, just because I'll uninstall P3Dv3 some time soon.

Thanks for your clarification.

Cheers, Ed

 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, edpatino said:

Just one question: based on your experience, could I leave my P3Dv3.4 installation as it is, in the same drive and within the sim (old method), and proceed to install the FSDT and FB airports in P3Dv4 with the new installers and new method outside the main sim folder?. I'm not bothering too much about leaving P3Dv3 files untouched and duplicated, just because I'll uninstall P3Dv3 some time soon.

Thanks for your clarification.

Cheers, Ed

 

Ed

No this would not work. FSDT will move all your PD3V3.4 to the new location when you install the first airport to PD3V4. You have no choice in this. However the PD3V3.4 airports will work just as well when they are moved.

Greg

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, gregmorin said:

Ed

No this would not work. FSDT will move all your PD3V3.4 to the new location when you install the first airport to PD3V4. You have no choice in this. However the PD3V3.4 airports will work just as well when they are moved.

Greg

Ok, Greg, thanks. I see this as quite restrictive. You know that the ordering of the layers in your scenery.cfg is quite important when you have priorities of one layer vs other, and I see this has not been taken into consideration and to me difficult to understand that it was detected during the tests (if FSDT made any). Were you succesful in moving your layers up/down as well after installing the sceneries or you're Ok with this?.

As per other threads here at Avsim, seems that there is no way (up to now) to reorder your layers after you move your FSDT sceneries. To me, FSDT makes always difficult even the most easy stuff. Now FSDT says that this is a LM problem!.

Thanks again, Ed

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, edpatino said:

Were you succesful in moving your layers up/down as well after installing the sceneries or you're Ok with this?.

Ed,

The FSDT & Flight Beam airports do not show in the scenery cfg. You can not move the layers. Am I ok with this? I want the airports in PD3V4 so there is no choice.

Greg

Edited by gregmorin
typo

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, gregmorin said:

Ed,

The FSDT & Flight Beam airports do not show in the scenery cfg. You can not move the layers. Am I ok with this? I want the airports in PD3V4 so there is no choice.

Greg

Hi Greg, clear enough. Thanks for sharing your experience. I'll probably phase out the installation of FSDT airports into P3Dv4 until I uninstall P3Dv3.4 in several weeks, after several addons get updated to be compatible with P3Dv4.

Cheers, Ed

Share this post


Link to post

Before I started the FSDT/Flightbeam adventure, I had installed all my Orbx products (I have most of the regions, airports aren't ready yet) and I noted they went to the top of the scenery library. Fair enough, I hadn't set an insertion point yet so i added one airport from the P3Dv3\Addons directoy (my home base KCRP available in AVSIM) and set that to the top of the library.  Then I followed Greg's method to install all the FSDT/Flightbeam airports with the new installers.  I have all but KCLT.  All went as planned with entries made by the installer to the addon document folders and the scenery/texture files in my SSD D: drive.  I notice that although addons are not in the scenery.cfg file, they do appear when you open the World > Scenery Library menu item and they appear above my manually added KCRP and all the Orbx. So it appears as there is a proper order to things.

Now am I contemplating how to best install Pilot's FS Global NG mesh and I believe that this will be manual entries to the scenery.cfg to ensure proper placement.  I cannot find anything yet in the SDK that provides an ability to force a layer number with the add-on.xml.

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, downscc said:

Before I started the FSDT/Flightbeam adventure

hahahaha, good definition!.

Cheers, Ed

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, downscc said:

Before I started the FSDT/Flightbeam adventure, I had installed all my Orbx products (I have most of the regions, airports aren't ready yet) and I noted they went to the top of the scenery library. Fair enough, I hadn't set an insertion point yet so i added one airport from the P3Dv3\Addons directoy (my home base KCRP available in AVSIM) and set that to the top of the library.  Then I followed Greg's method to install all the FSDT/Flightbeam airports with the new installers.  I have all but KCLT.  All went as planned with entries made by the installer to the addon document folders and the scenery/texture files in my SSD D: drive.  I notice that although addons are not in the scenery.cfg file, they do appear when you open the World > Scenery Library menu item and they appear above my manually added KCRP and all the Orbx. So it appears as there is a proper order to things.

Now am I contemplating how to best install Pilot's FS Global NG mesh and I believe that this will be manual entries to the scenery.cfg to ensure proper placement.  I cannot find anything yet in the SDK that provides an ability to force a layer number with the add-on.xml.

Hi Doug, the SDK isn't of much help, I agree. For the FreeMeshX I ended up adding the layers manually. But I may end up using the XML "layer"  entry as per the SDK. I wrote a post about this here: https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/511395-installing-add-ons-in-v4/?do=findComment&comment=3635920

Maybe it will help in what you're trying to accomplish.

 

cheers

-E

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, downscc said:

Now am I contemplating how to best install Pilot's FS Global NG mesh and I believe that this will be manual entries to the scenery.cfg to ensure proper placement.  I cannot find anything yet in the SDK that provides an ability to force a layer number with the add-on.xml.

Do you still have your NG mesh installed in its own folder? (FSGU_NG) If so, insert the first DVD from the FS Global Ultimate set and run the installer. It will ask if you want to look for an update - answer "yes". It will download an updated P3D Version 4-aware installer, which will then run. You will go through the same steps as if your were installing for the first time, including entering your user ID and password for the Pilot's web site. Once you do that, it should automatically load your product key. In the next step, you will be asked if your want to do a full install, or just update the scenery layers. Choose the latter. It will automatically insert all of the Global NG entries in the scenery.cfg file in the proper location - (right after the 1107 Base scenery, which should be Area 098) . The update takes about three seconds, and once the scenery.cfg is updated, you will have all your high res terrain mesh.

In the case of something like mesh - which has to be layered into the scenery system in a very specific place, it is probably best to use the default installer which directly modifies scenery.cfg - rather than trying to make it work with the new system, which is more suitable for things like add-on airports.

Share this post


Link to post

Hi,

Anybody has this issue? Over at FSDT there are few people that having this problem too. I tried to follow virtuali instructions to troubleshoot it but still no luck.

Flightbeam sceneries are fine. I install with antivirus disable, run as administrator, and restarted the sim before installing. Tried uninstall all Flightbeam products and install again but still having problem with FSDT ones.

78ilg0R.jpg

 

Thank you,
Hoang Le

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, JRBarrett said:

Do you still have your NG mesh installed in its own folder? (FSGU_NG) If so, insert the first DVD from the FS Global Ultimate set and run the installer. It will ask if you want to look for an update - answer "yes". It will download an updated installer, which will then run. You will go through the same steps as if your were installing for the first time, including entering your user ID and password for the Pilot's web site. Once you do that, it should automatically load your product key. In the next step, you will be asked if your want to do a full install, or just update the scenery layers. Choose the latter. It will automatically insert all of the Global NG entries in the scenery.cfg file in the proper location - (right after the 1107 Base scenery, which should be Area 098) . The update takes about three seconds, and once the scenery.cfg is updated, you will have all your high res terrain mesh.

In the case of something like mesh - which has to be layered into the scenery system in a very specific place, it is probably best to use the default installer which directly modifies scenery.cfg - rather than trying to make it work with the new system, which is more suitable for things like add-on airports.

Thank you, Jim, that is exactly what I will do.  I was a little cautious about running the installer again because I didn't want to have to reinstall the FSGU_NG data I already have on my data SSD.  Excellent.  I will give that a try as soon as able.

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Hoang said:

Hi,

Anybody has this issue? Over at FSDT there are few people that having this problem too. I tried to follow virtuali instructions to troubleshoot it but still no luck.

Flightbeam sceneries are fine. I install with antivirus disable, run as administrator, and restarted the sim before installing. Tried uninstall all Flightbeam products and install again but still having problem with FSDT ones.

78ilg0R.jpg

 

Thank you,
Hoang Le

I had that a few times when I was installing several at a time.  I just waited for the installers to finish and then ran it again and it worked just fine.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, sfgiants13 said:

I had that a few times when I was installing several at a time.  I just waited for the installers to finish and then ran it again and it worked just fine.

Hi,
I only install one at a time, tried several times each airport but still having problem.
Thank you for your help so far,

Hoang Le

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/6/2017 at 9:13 PM, gregmorin said:

Ed

No this would not work. FSDT will move all your PD3V3.4 to the new location when you install the first airport to PD3V4. You have no choice in this. However the PD3V3.4 airports will work just as well when they are moved.

Greg

Hi Greg, checked this with Umberto at FSDT and he says to avoid modifying your existing P3Dv3.4 setup when you run the installer at the start you should have de-selected the option to install to P3Dv3, VERY simple, in its own words.

Just wanted to let you know.

Cheers, Ed

 

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, edpatino said:

Hi Greg, checked this with Umberto at FSDT and he says to avoid modifying your existing P3Dv3.4 setup when you run the installer at the start you should have de-selected the option to install to P3Dv3, VERY simple, in its own words.

Just wanted to let you know.

Cheers, Ed

 

Thanks Ed. That is the way I tried it first. I like my way better.

Greg

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, gregmorin said:

Thanks Ed. That is the way I tried it first. I like my way better.

Greg

Yes, I think we have different goals. Mine is to leave P3Dv3.4 installed until a good number of addons are updated to P3Dv4 (which I think will be sooner than later), but without any major changes on its files and file structures, that's why I couldn't understand why it would get modified by installing new things into P3Dv4.

Anyway, your OP is very useful and I'll use it as a guide to my P3Dv4 setup (including FSDT and SODE).

Thanks, Ed

 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now