Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bell206freak

Where can I find the best Helo for FS9???

I'm looking for the best FS2k4 Helo around (FDE, Avionics, interactive VC, etc). :-hah Aerosoft's Seahawk looks like it's it but I hope there's others around (I usually fly fixed wings)...Thanks... :-)

I DON'T know the answer to your question. I would love to fly a Helicopter in FS9, and I try FREQUENTLY. However, I can take off and fly....but I cannot LAND. I crash every time and I go up in a ball of flames.Please, someone, tell me how to LAND these things. I have been doing FS for many years, and I do very...very well with planes, but I cannot land a helicopter.

:-lol I'm having the same problem...They can't be this hard to land in real life...

The aerosoft seahawk has a great VC, but the airfile is reworked and unrealistic (dumbed down), Many airfiles are all based on the default 206 with some tweaks. It's the best to start and pratice on. I like Owens 206, better than the default and with a great VC.Best VC is without a doubt (IMO) the nemeth Ec-120 and best systems modeling in the DoDo sim payware with the HC 412 coming in second.Practice, practice, practice, LOL Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://www.calvirair.com/mcpics/mcdcvabanner.jpgCalVirAir International

There is a front page news item here at avsim regarding Bear's tribute to FS9. Hop over to the screenshot forum to see what he itemized as 20 helos he reckons are the best.Cheers!Graham

While you are on that site pick up Jordan Moore's Bell 412 which he has just completed. It has a realistic start sequence and flies much like the real thing.

Guest Calb

May I suggest a visit to http://members.shaw.ca/hoversafe/Hoversafe.htmIf you're willing to put some time and effort into it (as in the real world), I think our program will help.We're small but effective with over 6 years of experience in helping people learn to fly the FS helicopter.Cal (CYXX)

Michael can you give me some web links to the aircraft you mentioned here??? :-)

Guest TPT82

I highly recommend the DoDo Sim Advanced Real Start Bell 206B. I purchased it and love itl. It boasts an ultra realistic start up sequence. If you do not follow the checklist and start by the numbers you will fry the turbine and have to reset. It models all kinds of ugly realistic aerodynamic conditions, such as: Vortex Ring State, Loss of Tailrotor Effectivness, etc... I am not a helecopter pilot, so I cannot say for a fact how realistic the flight model is. However, I will say that I am convinced of it's accuracy.On the downside, if you live outside of Europe, the exchange rate makes the price a little steep. Also you will have to read the manual. You will have to reconfigure FS a little. The manual walks you through everything. You can download the manual here and make your decision: http://www.dodosim.com/enthus.html.Disclaimer: I am not associated with the developers in any way, shape, or form. I am just an enthusiastic, satisfied customer :9.If you have any questions, I will attempt to answer them. Good luck in your search.Nick:

Thanks so much guys for the help... :-beerchug It seems the default Bell has a great FDE if you have the MS Sidewinder in combination with CH's USB Peddles...I'm looking into all the Helo's suggested... :-wave Can someone please post some screenshots of the DoDo verions (Exterior/VC)???

I just found the best freeware Helo around (even Dodo is using it)....Owen Hewitt/FSD's rehash of the default Bell 206 located mostly on Flightsim.com. All the repaints available are awesome. I always thought that the default 206 had a decent air file but Owen's updates take it over the top. He redid the VC and external visual model and also added a TV Cam version for news Helicopters.I think I've found all I'm looking for with his model and it's freeware!!! It's cool Dodo is using Owen's model so most diffidently I'll have to check theirs out (I hope they added realistic VC night lighting because Owen's freeware version has the default lighting and Dodo is charging money for theirs). After playing around I found Hovercontrol's 412 lacking in many areas (Night time VC lighting, FDE, etc). Too much collective and the 412 yaws back and forth uncontrollably...Thanks again for the help guys; it looks like Owen has done the best models in FS2k4... :-)

Guest allcott

Speakng of Nemeth Brothers I can also recommend their Mil Mi-2 and Mi-17 helos. The bigger Mi-17 is more of a handful to fly but both have full systems modelling, brilliant external models and loads of repaints floating (hovering) around.I don't have the Mil Mi-24 from the same team but that also has a solid rep, apart from landing, so it's probably best to get your skills up on something else first!The trouble with helos in FS is unless you're doing something specific with them they're not really much good as VFR platforms (too busy flying the things) don't have the speed to cover the ground and really don't like IFR at all. Huge fun for a bimble around the airfield though!:)Allcott

Well there are some instances where Helo's are really cool... Say the flight from Nice France to Monaco which has no airfields but only Helecopter landing spots, the only way into the coolest scenery/city/location you ever would want to fly to. The only way to get into Monaco is by Helicopter, there's no airport near the place. The Manhattan and the great FS add-on offered is another great Helo stomping ground.I just thought I'd try something different from all the fixed wings I have in my library. I was surprised to find how good the default Bell flew (must have a stick/yoke and CH USB Peddles to really enjoy it because I hated Helos when I was using just a joystick)...

If you just want to try something fun and unique in the helicopter genre, hop on over to http://www.munchbros.com and take a look at their Rotorway Exec. It isn't big on Avionics, but it's beautiful in the sky and a great tribute to this homebuilt aircraft.-John

And when you think you have chopper flying down pat install the Chicago Crazy Race file " cgxrace.zip" and try your hand at that. It's old scenery but works well in FS9. Just unpack the file and install. It contains a file "pilots" which I imagine is a video of the race which I couldn't get to work but the main file contains all the information of the race course and the scenery. Gary

Guest fruitfly

>I DON'T know the answer to your question. I would love to fly>a Helicopter in FS9, and I try FREQUENTLY. However, I can>take off and fly....but I cannot LAND. I crash every time and>I go up in a ball of flames.>Please, someone, tell me how to LAND these things. I have been>doing FS for many years, and I do very...very well with>planes, but I cannot land a helicopter.> Decrease realism from 100 to 99 or 98 (just a click or two to the left) and that will DRASTICALLY improve handling. That's obviously a bug.And the best thing is the decrease in realism is so small you won't notice it when flying planes so you won't have to change the settings every time when switching from fixed wing to rotor and vice versa.http://www.fspassengers.com/images/banner/sig/sdc8.jpg

Guest Bell206freak

Quote:+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Can someone please post some screenshots of the DoDo verions(Exterior/VC)???+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Well, by and large, the DoDoSim JetRanger uses the exact same visual model (exterior and interior) as the freeware Owen Hewitt default JetRanger overhaul.I have some captures that I Have here that were used as promo shots for my Mount St. Helens Scenery Packagr release last year, and there's one that's a promo shot for an upcoming scenery package release I am currently working on. They all highlight the excellent visual quality and detail Owen Hewitt spent on his JetRanger.JRO_Flyover_2.JPGThis is the paint scheme (photoreal textures fully applied) of the helicopter used to ferry tourists to the crater of Mount St. Helens from the Hoffstadt Bluffs Visitor Center.MSH_Scen_N636ES_Doors_opened.jpgThe same helicopter, in a screengrab at Hoffstadt Bluffs, with the doors open.KOIN_1.jpgA photoreal repaint of KOIN TV Channel 6's early 1980s helicopter (Portland, OR). This was based on a series of photographs in a book about the eruption of Mount St. Helens published in 1980 by the KOIN TV "Newsroom6"(as their newscasts were known by at the time) staff.And now for some Virtual Cockpit shots.MSH_Scen_N636ES_Virtual_Cockpit_detail.jpgTaken while in-flight towards Mount St. Helens after takeoff from Hoffstadt Bluffs.Sanderson_Airport_Entry.jpgA wide-angle screengrab of the VC taken from a hover infront of the entrance sign for Sanderson Field (I have since replaced that sign with another total photoreal replacement of the new sign the Port of Shelton installed at this spot. (see below)Sanderson_Field_Aviation_Park.jpgIMHO, the Owen Hewitt JetRanger is the best helicopter ever for Flight Simulator, and is the main helicopter I fly in Flight Simulator. (and yes, I am a lifelong fan of the JetRanger series).Addendum: The fully photoreal interior texture kit (i.e. photoreal doors, window post, etc) is an SAR Scenery Design and Repaint Studios exclusive, and has been licensed for use to others. The default Owen Hewitt JetRanger package did not come with them.

Thanks for posting the screenshots. However, one request for future reference (and this applies to all)--unless you are posting screenshots to support a user having a problem in the sim, please place any screenshots posted in response to a request in the screenshots forum and link back to the post in the MSFS forum thread.Unless we're strict in enforcing that rule things can go sour very quickly in terms of this forum becoming flooded with screenshots. It's better for bandwidth reasons and for ease of reading here that we keep such shots where they belong. Thanks in advance for future cooperation in this matter--however, I will let the screenshots you've already posted stay in this thread since you posted them with a sincere effort respond to a user request.Thanks and Regards,John

Thanks for the shots Bell206freak and sorry for the trouble. Can you post some night time VC shots of the Dodo bird in the screenshot's forum??? :-shy If the DoDo bird has some great night lighting I'm going to have to get that aircraft... I'm starting to see that the boys at FSD aren't too much into VC night lighting...

Is that making the Helo more realistic to fly or just dumbing down the FDE which is unrealistic and therefore unacceptable??? :-hmmm I'm starting to get the hang of the default Bell/Owen Hewit's 206. You just have to be very careful and keep her level when coming down.

Guest Bell206freak

Well, Owen Hewitt no longer does work with FSD I think, and at the time the JetRanger that he did was a request with a time limit IIRC.There's an incredible demand for an expansion pack on his JetRanger (i.e. wire strike, float skids, low skids, etc), but he has turned down those requests