Sign in to follow this  
castarr

FSX-Steam "horrific" framerate drop when switching to 16x

hello folks,

Got a brand "spanking new" I7-7700K GTX-1070 Nividia Card and installed FSX-Steam

Initially, all seemed really nice..! I set framerate at 35 just to get an idea and after adding AI and some sceneries..i was still successful..then returning to FSX-Steam next day

I'd climb out of any airport.then switch to 16x simulation rate and the FPS went from 35..to 0.1...and would fluctuate..up to 1.1.(basically just stopped in midair) and never regained a 35...

Got any tips?  is there a workaround..?

Your input appreciated.!

Basically what you are doing is forcing all the scenery, aircraft systems, weather etc to skip 16x the speed and distance that it would flying at 1x rate.  What else would you expect?  I'm fairly certain that you could recover if you paused the sim and let everything catch up.

\Robert Hamlich/

Here's a tip: don't do that. Few, if any payware aircraft or aircraft of any complexity take kindly to that kind of treatment.

DJ

Ok..got a couple of replies.thank you.!..

I was successful in achieving the faster sim rate(16x) to fly long and/or short to medium distance early in the installation..granted I've added some payware scenery, but no payware aircraft

I've added AI Aircraft but not a massive amount..I was hoping this set up w/I7-7700K GTX 1070 without overclocking would allow FSX and or FSX-Steam to process..lots of "info" to run nice and smooth even w/16x simulation rate..((impatient I suppose, fly to London relatively quick..then fly other places in "my timely manner"))

I'm happy w/my purchase..of my pc..and happy with FSX-Steam...just curious to see..if Steam vs Box version (which allowed the 16x without much issue) was comparable..and since I am having issue with a 16x sim rate..in Steam.I was hoping to get a trick..to remedy..it....

Thanks for the advice.from my fellow simmers!

respectfully,

Chris

I suspect you're also going to have issues with the sim calculating any sharp turns with the FMC too, when it has to be calculating all the other stuff going on at 16 times the normal rate too, wind speeds, turbulence, loading in scenery, other AI traffic etc, etc.

Come to think of it, if your 747 or whatever is cruising at typical speeds at 38,000 feet, it'll be doing about 500 knots, plus any winds could make it be going over the ground at a much faster speed, as much as maybe 200 knots more if there is a hefty tailwind, so, 700 knots at 16 times normal sim speed, would mean your sim plane is going at 11,200 knots over the terrain, which is nearly Mach 17, so it's hardly surprising that the sim is gonna freak out.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Understood...

I suppose my "learning curve" with all the new stuff...will take plenty of patience..:-)

thank you..for replying!

Chris

Some of the aircraft I use in FSX:SE suffer from violent oscillations in pitch if I select 8x speed. Sometimes I use 4x , but rarely. For the most part I just save the flight and come back to it another time. This does give a particular problem with the freeware Piaggio Avanti I use in that it will cause a failure in the pressurisation system.

I think some of the study level aircraft may not save the panel state exactly either, but as yet I don't have any.

Edited by HighBypass
spelling

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Folks..i will continue to pursue...more tweaking and tricks..i may have bitten off more than I can chew...on this "high octane" I7-7700K w/Nividia GTX 1070

All I was hoping was hoping for was "nice smooth framerates and that ultimate fluidity..while flying the skies..no where near it at present...

To all my fellow fsx pilots...you are "honored"!

Respectfully,

Chris

As indicated above: More than 4x is asking for trouble.

If you want to quickly skip part of your flight, you may want to look at other solutions, e.g. moving your aircraft directly in the map view, or warping to a later waypoint (I use the feature built into PF3 ATC for this, but there is a stand-alone tool named "Quantum Leap" in the Avsim file library).

Of course you might want to drain some fuel after this to simulate the skipped part of the flight, and maybe adjust the clock :)