Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Dynamic Lighting - Huge FPS Killer, needs further optimizations

One thing I was excited about was this feature in the new P3D v4. But once I actually was able to use it and experience for myself in the sim, it literally kills my performance almost in half with this option enabled. I really hope LM will improve this feauture in the next update to make it more performance friendly so we can all finally enable this feature.

It looks beautiful with the new PMDG 747 and GSX. But sadly I have to disable this feature for the time being until LM can optimize it better.

• Upvote 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Umberto is right. In real heavy scenery like PMDG 747, KSFOHD and  FTX NCA with 4xSSAA and 'Dynamic Lighting' frame rate is only 10-12 fps (virtual cockpit) but with 2xSSAA and DL, I get 20-22 fps (VC) which is smooth enough for me.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Yes, you guys are right, I tried to switch from 4xSSAA to 4xMSAA and now I get around 16-17fps with dynamic lights on.

Which is better, 4xMSAA or 2xSSAA?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

10 minutes ago, captain420 said:

Yes, you guys are right, I tried to switch from 4xSSAA to 4xMSAA and now I get around 16-17fps with dynamic lights on.

Which is better, 4xMSAA or 2xSSAA?

SSAA has a sharpening effect on the entire image.  MSAA only affects the edges of objects.  In other words, textures do not receive any benefit from MSAA.  SSAA is *much* harder on your GPU than MSAA though.  If you run high enough screen resolution with similarly high texture resolution, you really shouldn't need SSAA.  At that point MSAA may not even be necessary.  Example: 4k screen resolution paired with 2k or even 4k textures.  This is the combination I choose.  Sim looks great all around.

• Upvote 1

Some form of AA is necessary with 4K, I tried none and i saw horrible jaggies all over the place. Which would yield better performance and give me good visuals overall? 2xSSAA or 4xMSAA?

6 minutes ago, captain420 said:

Some form of AA is necessary with 4K, I tried none and i saw horrible jaggies all over the place. Which would yield better performance and give me good visuals overall? 2xSSAA or 4xMSAA?

It's debatable.  Depends on a number of factors including screen size, visual acuity, personal sensitivity to jagged edges, and where exactly you observe aliasing in the first place.  Some objects are modeled with low polygon counts and will almost always exhibit aliasing when viewed at oblique angles.  Vegetation is a good example.  Power lines as well.  The diagonal pillar between windows in a cockpit it another common example.  

One of the biggest issues for me was, night or evening flying with city lights. Even with 4xSSAA in 4k the lights off in the distance have a bad shimmering effect with high autogen draw distances. Only 8xSSAA solves this but obviously it's a big hit on frames.

Still trying to find the right balance.

4xmsaa should be fine with 4k.

Dont know wth is going on with v4

3.4 was fine

The odd thing is, I get no FPS hit with 1000s and 1000s of dynamic lights in XP11. 

I wonder what's different about the implementation that makes it such a hard hit in P3D?

Thanks for this post.

By changing the graphics setting to 2xSSAA and FXAA to Off allows me to have dynamic lighting on (with the PMDG 747) and still have acceptable frame rates and smooth flying.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

6 minutes ago, mikeymike said:

Um sure there will be updates 

Just gotta  be patient

I remember cloud shadows being an FPS killer until LM improved it

2 hours ago, bonchie said:

The odd thing is, I get no FPS hit with 1000s and 1000s of dynamic lights in XP11. 

I wonder what's different about the implementation that makes it such a hard hit in P3D?

Completely different graphics engines that aren't even using the same basic API (DX11 vs. OpenGL), I wouldn't try to compare them like that.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

FWIW I don't see any FPS drop when turning on all landing lights with the PMDG 747. 

Its seems a good GPU is needed in P3Dv4 to use DL.

Im plagued with blurries in P3Dv3 but v4 is super clear and smooth with my humble 6700K and Titan Xp.

LM did a brilliant job with v4 and I hope I can load up the 777 with FS2Crew this weekend. 🤞

IM