Sign in to follow this  
ricka47

Orbx Acquires all of Vector

1 hour ago, shivers9 said:

Man....I think I am going to have to hire a professional software consultant before the P3d V4 conversion is done. I spent a good part of yesterday catching up on my reading about which route I should take for vector. I have pilots 2010 data so do I just need to update to the 2018 version and if I do will I need to get an future update to work with vector when released. Perhalps maybe I need the FS Global Ultimate NG superdooper gold version download from hell but if I do will I need an update to work with vector when it comes out. Now ORBX has bought the Pilot stuff and talk seems to indicate that the Pilot folks have been draggin their feet getting ready for V4. That could mean poor workmanship in all recent Pilot products? Is it time to just spend 29.00 USD or so and buy the Flight 1 Ultit Terrain product until ORBX can figure out where they are? This assumes that the Pilot 2010 mesh will work in V4 Of P3d. Anyone know?

I am using Pilot Mesh 2010 in P3Dv4 and will wait for a while before I spend money on the new mesh.  I have USA UTX and obviously it is supposed to work well with their GEXP3D project (FTX Global alternative).  UTX works fine with Global but there are areas where they want GEXP3D to be there.  There is no point in buying GEXP3D for textures only as they only have US and Europe in vector form with UTX product.  There is no UTX asia etc.  Spend more for less.

Wait till Vector is out - it could be out by end of this weekend (I know it is soon). 

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

John Venema has now clarified on the Orbx forums that Vector for v4 will be released "ASAP," and that by his earlier statement he simply meant that:

"Down the road we will likely split Vector and roll it into the various OLC regions to combine them as a single product, but that has not been confirmed yet - it's just the current thinking of the team."

Not really sure how that would work, but in any case I'm glad that Vector for v4 is coming sooner than we'd feared.

James

I am finally able to enjoy this product, I had to uninstall it in v2.5 pretty much instantly. It sure does add more immersion to the whole experience and I am finally happy that the interstates are not lit up like christmas trees in the rural areas, among other things.

The only thing that annoys me are the pauses on approach, what is it with this nonsense? I've got three approaching ORD last night. Did they say there are going to look into this at all? 

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

On ‎14‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 1:35 PM, FalconAF said:

I bought Vector well over a year ago but uninstalled it and went back to using my UTX.  There was just too many things wrong with it...VAS usage, inaccurate vector data, everything you would expect from an open source database that had not been made "ready for prime time" yet.  People would report the problems they found, and would get answers like, "I'll look at it when I get home from work" (from an actual forum post response).  The product has been around way too long to still have the kind of issues it has.  IMO, ORBX needed to take it over to maintain any credibility of the overall ORBX scenery franchise.  They couldn't just keep saying, "It's from a third-party developer we use, and we can't tell them what to do.....".

Anyhow, I'm not planning on buying ORBX new South America Open Landclass if I can't install Vector while STILL keeping my UTX installed for the US, Canada, and Europe.  ORBX needs to make Vector "modular" so the user can turn off the geographical areas they DON'T want to use it for.  UTX is still miles ahead in the same coverage areas as Vector.

Although I have most Orbx products installed, I never actually bought Orbx Vector on release because of the various problems associated with it and which seemed to keep regularly appearing on various forums. Instead, I have used UTX vector data with which I have been very pleased. As I have never used Orbx Vector, I can't personally compare the appearance using UTX vector data within Orbx scenery with that of Orbx Vector but a lot of people seem to comment that it is superior, so I too would want to continue using UTX for that reason and would not want to install a South America + Vector combination unless Vector was made modular as you suggest.

Bill

As some one who owns ORBX South America and Global Vector for about a week, I've noticed no issues.   Your Mileage May Vary. 

Mark Trainer

6 hours ago, mtrainer said:

As some one who owns ORBX South America and Global Vector for about a week, I've noticed no issues.   Your Mileage May Vary. 

Mark Trainer

That may be true for the South America geographic area.  But using Vector to replace UTX for the U.S., Canada, Europe, and Carribean areas that the UTX products cover would be a downgrade of vector quality in those areas.  That's no secret to anybody who knows where the database information used originated from, and whether it has been updated or "fixed" in the Global Vector product.

And here's the catch...those of us who bought the UTX products bought them LONG BEFORE (years before) Global Vector was ever available.  So until ORBX can get the UTX coverage areas of Global Vector up to the quality of the database used by UTX for UTX's areas, ORBX needs to let a user of Global Vector turn OFF areas UTX already covers.  It's ludicrous to say, "Buy our worldwide coverage product and install it, but if you do you will have to UNINSTALL any OTHER product of a HIGHER quality you may already own for some geographic areas."

I'd gladly use my already paid for Global Vector if I could turn OFF the U.S., Canada, Europe, and Carribean areas of it.  I'd gladly use Global Vector for the South America quality of the vector graphics it produced for OpenLC South America...but not the lower quality vector graphics for the US, Canada, Europe, and Carribean.  So I'm simply not buying any more ORBX OpenLC products until I can do that. 

Your Mileage May Vary for your personal choices too and other addons you own/use or not.

Rick Ryan