Sign in to follow this  
Noio

Recommendations for a flight simulation magazine

Could you please recommend me a flight simulator magazine?

I have consulted "PC Pilot". Don't know if there are others printed or on line magazines.

In addition, if you search "Computer Pilot" it seems to have stopped publishing numbers since some time ago. It's possible it has been transformed into "Flight" -a German magazine.

http://web.computerpilot.com/2013/01/the-first-steps-2/

There are other free magazines as "PC Pilots", published by pcpilotsirelad.com 

http://www.pcpilotsireland.com/pcflight/index.htm

Thanks!

Yes Computer Pilot "passsed' away sometime ago taking with it over half a years worth of my subscription.

Cheers

Steve Hall

I used to read PC Pilot and Computer Pilot but stopped wasting money on both as I can get all the same info and more for free reading Avsim and other flight sim related websites/forums.

Frankly I used to be a subscriber to many magazines related to aviation, simming, golf, skiing, cycling, and finance. I've since stopped buying any magazines and just read all the content for free on various forums and blogs. At one point I was spending around $30 to $40 a month on magazines before I realized I was wasting a lot of money.

• Upvote 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thank you for your comments. I really appreciate your opinions.

Despite nowadays it is very easy to have news on every development via Facebook, Tweeter, forums and email subscription, maybe printed or on line magazines allows to have some extent reviews on the latest add-ons.

But you know,there's something comforting about kicking back with printed pages in hand. These tablets bother my eyes after too much time.  I still take Flying , Airways, PC Pilot and still order books from Amazon. But then again I'm an old traditionalist.

Vic green

Youtube is a great source of sim related videos.  Many real flights are posted there from a pilot's POV.  I follow a Citation pilot on his travels, he posts from his flights regularly and you get a good idea of how ATC works with civil jet pilots.  With these videos I hardly sim anymore.

John

19 hours ago, PATCO LCH said:

But you know,there's something comforting about kicking back with printed pages in hand. These tablets bother my eyes after too much time.  I still take Flying , Airways, PC Pilot and still order books from Amazon. But then again I'm an old traditionalist.

AVSIM has some great reviews here of many products.  Don't have to squint to read.  Just open up the review and then hit the Ctrl + keys and the text gets very large and makes it easy to read.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

1 hour ago, Jim Young said:

AVSIM has some great reviews here of many products.  Don't have to squint to read.  Just open up the review and then hit the Ctrl + keys and the text gets very large and makes it easy to read.

Best regards,

Jim

I know. I spend more time on AVSIM then simming or much else. Too much time actually .

Vic green

43 minutes ago, PATCO LCH said:

I know. I spend more time on AVSIM then simming or much else. Too much time actually .

I'm the same actually. The amount of time I spend reading Avsim posts is probably two or three times more than the actual simming I do. Plus Avsim is available to read when sitting on the can, flying the sim isn't.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

i'm a new in AVSIM and impressed on how much enthusiasm is here. Thank you for all your comments.

It's true there are a lot of content on forums, youtube and developer websites. 

Nevertheless, the reason why I posted the topic was because, despite "PC Pilot", I would like to know if there are another similar magazines you could recommend.

Thank you another time for your opinions.

On 8/14/2017 at 1:40 PM, PATCO LCH said:

I agree with you Vic. Reading from a well produced magazine, like PCPilot, together with a coffee in hand is one of life's little joys. The only issue I have with Pcpilot now is that there are so many sim platforms available that the magazine content is spread to thinly to cover all the various platforms. This tends to reduce the content in the area of interest to me. Sure it is good to glance at what else is on offer but it is not quite the same. Once it just covered FS9 and FSX and maybe a combat sim but now there is just so much. Trying to read a magazine on an iPad is ok and it sure is convenient but nothing like reading the full size hard copy version.
By the way if you are a member of a public library then many online magazines (haven't found any sim ones yet) are free....at least they are here in NZ.

• Upvote 1

Cheers

Steve Hall