Dreamflight767

Deleting & Re-install client

Greetings

When deleting and re-installing P3D's client, what effect does that have on add-ons?  Do I need to reinstall any of them; either aircraft or scenery?

Thank you. 

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Depends on how you installed them.  If the addons were installed with the addon.xml method, you need to do nothing. If they were installed directly into P3D, you may have to reinstall them.

Do not delete and reinstall the client - you must uninstall and reinstall the client.

Vic

• Upvote 1

Yes, I uninstalled client and reinstalled it.  Not "delete", poor choice of words on my part.

Thank you.

Hello,

if I'm allowed to kidnap this topic...I'm new to P3D! I made the switch only with v4's release. My Q are related to the ones of the OP.

I'm aware of the new XML AddOn structure but some AddOn's will not use it, like those that change ground textures, elevation data, vegetation, clouds, etc. (GEP3D, UTX, ORBX Trees HD, etc).

So what happens to those AddOn's when a new HF or Update comes out which req to uninstall parts of the current P3D installation?

Which part of the installer Client / Content / Scenery is changed by the mentioned AddOn's?

Thank you.

BR,

Gerald

If my memory serves me, from my v3.x experience, Orbx products had to be reinstalled because apparently the textures weren't being shown as they were previously...

Thie is from Lockheed:

"3rd Party Software (Add On's)  after a Client update

Completing a Client Update will mostly effect Utilities like Active Sky Next, Active Sky 2016, FSUIPC, Flight1 GTN 750\650, SODE, Chaseplane, Orbx ObjectFlow and EZdok Just to name a few.

In most cases Software Developers will be releasing Updates to there Programs\Utilities to coincide with the release of a new Client update"

• Upvote 1

With FTX products you can sometimes just resynch using FTX Central. Other products have their own control panels. You must look at each add on individually. For ease of reinstall, IMHO, put anything that CAN be installed outside the P3D folder into an add on xml.

With some, if you reinstall P3D into the same folder, you have to do nothing.

Vic

• Upvote 1

Hello

Just to expand a little on what Vic said

-----------

Regarding Orbx Scenery only 

Client:  Updating the Client component will require no further action really,  Just launch the FTX Control Panel, this action will check and verify the files 

-------

Content:  Updating the Content component will require you to do 2 things  (just to be on the safe side)

1) Force an update of the "Orbxlibs" by Deleting the version text file located below, it will look like this  FTX_AA_ORBXLIBS.TXT  

Prepar3D v4 ► ORBX ► User Documents ► Versions ► FTX_AA_ORBXLIBS.TXT

Launch the FTX Central control panel, this action will prompt you to reinstall\update Orbxlibs,  Click the blue box  (Bottom left corner)  

2)  Run the Migration Troubleshooter to Insure the Integrity of the Orbx Files, at the location below

Prepar3D v4 ► ORBX ► Troubleshooter ► Migration Troubleshooter.exe

-----------

Scenery: Updating the Scenery component will require you to Reinstall Orbx Global Base.  FTX trees does also overwrite default files but the FTX control Panel should verify \ modify these when launched.  As FTX trees is only a small download there is no harm to run the download again anyway

Also carry out step 1 and 2 from the above,  Force an Orbx libraries update and run the Migration Troubleshooter.exe

• Upvote 1

Thank you all for your help! To conclude what I have learned:

1. From ORBX I just have the Trees HD which I now understood lies in Scenery.

2. I think that GEP3D and UTX also do reside in Scenery. (Correct me if I'm wrong).

3. Other stuff that gets dynamicaly injected (clouds, SODE, camera apps,...) are mostly Client related...