Bert Pieke

Alaska - The Inside Passage

Motivated by my recent Alaska trip, I could do an Inside Passage route next week.

Places we have all been, but very pretty nevertheless.

Suggest Ketchikan to Skagway, via Sitka.

PAKT-PAWG-PASI-PAJN-PAGY

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

329 NM overall, so 150+ knots should work.

The airports all handle Alaska Air 737s, as best I know..

I may give my TBM 850 a workout..

Ahhh.  This sounds like fun.  I would like to recommend that we add Johnson Petersburg to the itinerary: PAKT-PAWG-PAPG-PASI-PAJN-PAGY.

All but Skagway have 737 service by Alaska Airlines.  I don't think Skagway (PAGY) gets any big jets.  From Wikipedia: "There have been landings at this airport by small jet aircraft, but rarely."

So I will use the PMDG 737 for first five airports.

PAPG_1.jpg

PAPG_2.jpg

And will switch aircraft in Juneau to the super STOL DC-6B for final jaunt up to Skagway.

PAJN1.jpg

Sitka was my favorite place... a little bit out of the way maybe, but worth the flight..

Yup. Sitka is well worth the visit.  I ammended the list.  Did not mean to drop it.

Ron,

Nothing to anxious about, a week is plenty of time for you to become proficient on your new NGX.  :smile:

11 hours ago, jt_williams said:

Ahhh.  This sounds like fun.  I would like to recommend that we add Johnson Petersburg to the itinerary: PAKT-PAWG-PAPG-PASI-PAJN-PAGY.

All but Skagway have 737 service by Alaska Airlines.  I don't think Skagway (PAGY) gets any big jets.  From Wikipedia: "There have been landings at this airport by small jet aircraft, but rarely."

So I will use the PMDG 737 for first five airports.

PAPG_1.jpg

PAPG_2.jpg

And will use the switch in Juneau to the super STOL DC-6B for final jaunt up to Skagway.

PAJN1.jpg

Skagway is tiny. I live in the area and I've only ever seen light aircraft. You should look at Haines airport PAHN.  If flying larger consider Whitehorse CYXY. Its only a 100 miles from Skagway and can take 747's and its covered in Orbx SE Alaska.

I guess I am going to get my Phenom 300 serviced and fueled up, if I want to keep up with you crowd.. the TBM850 is not going to cut it :blush:

23 hours ago, YukonPete said:

Skagway is tiny. I live in the area and I've only ever seen light aircraft. You should look at Haines airport PAHN.  If flying larger consider Whitehorse CYXY. Its only a 100 miles from Skagway and can take 747's and its covered in Orbx SE Alaska.

You are right, we need to rethink Skagway.. either skip it, or switch into a Feeder Airline leg.

Nice trip suggestion.  What's the total estimate flight time? 2 hr give or take?

OK, I think I have this sorted out.

We'll start in Ketchikan, in jets, and more or less follow the Alaska Airlines Milk Run route.

Instead of our planned landing in Skagway, we'll land in Haines and change to a regional feeder plane for the 15 mile run to Skagway.  An Otter or Kodiak might do the job.  Then, time permitting, we'll return to Haines, pick up our jet, and fly the final segment into Whitehorse, Yukon.

Flightplan:

PAKT-PAWG-PAPG-PASI-PAJN-PAHN-PAGY-PAHN-CYXY.

Particulars
Date and time: Saturday September 23, 2017, 18:00 UTC
Where: AVSIM RTWR Teamspeak - Casual Flights Channel
Teamspeak Server Address: ts.teamavsim.com
Cross-Platform Multiplayer: JoinFS
If you want to help others enjoy the multiplayer experience, don't forget to enter your aircraft details on the multiplayer spreadsheet (linked here). Your courtesy will save others a lot of time and effort. Thanks!

Thanks Ron,

From the .plg one can get some Skyvector. Or, just an overview plus all the charts that may be needed.

folding_map_1.gif?dl=1

P.S. The switchover for the PAHN-PAGY-PAHN leg, going to a regional is going be negated on this side, WX dependant. 10 heifers, happier than s__t , need to be delivered.   

P.S.S. Just through the grapevine, the loadsheet, just got changed (more poop). It has been been sold to a poor shmuck in Sitka. (JK ! Gotta read this! - Look at the pics!)