Bert Pieke

Alaska - The Inside Passage

Motivated by my recent Alaska trip, I could do an Inside Passage route next week.

Places we have all been, but very pretty nevertheless.

Suggest Ketchikan to Skagway, via Sitka.

PAKT-PAWG-PASI-PAJN-PAGY

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

329 NM overall, so 150+ knots should work.

The airports all handle Alaska Air 737s, as best I know..

I may give my TBM 850 a workout..

Ahhh.  This sounds like fun.  I would like to recommend that we add Johnson Petersburg to the itinerary: PAKT-PAWG-PAPG-PASI-PAJN-PAGY.

All but Skagway have 737 service by Alaska Airlines.  I don't think Skagway (PAGY) gets any big jets.  From Wikipedia: "There have been landings at this airport by small jet aircraft, but rarely."

So I will use the PMDG 737 for first five airports.

PAPG_1.jpg

PAPG_2.jpg

And will switch aircraft in Juneau to the super STOL DC-6B for final jaunt up to Skagway.

PAJN1.jpg

Sitka was my favorite place... a little bit out of the way maybe, but worth the flight..

Yup. Sitka is well worth the visit.  I ammended the list.  Did not mean to drop it.

Ron,

Nothing to anxious about, a week is plenty of time for you to become proficient on your new NGX.  :smile:

11 hours ago, jt_williams said:

Ahhh.  This sounds like fun.  I would like to recommend that we add Johnson Petersburg to the itinerary: PAKT-PAWG-PAPG-PASI-PAJN-PAGY.

All but Skagway have 737 service by Alaska Airlines.  I don't think Skagway (PAGY) gets any big jets.  From Wikipedia: "There have been landings at this airport by small jet aircraft, but rarely."

So I will use the PMDG 737 for first five airports.

PAPG_1.jpg

PAPG_2.jpg

And will use the switch in Juneau to the super STOL DC-6B for final jaunt up to Skagway.

PAJN1.jpg

Skagway is tiny. I live in the area and I've only ever seen light aircraft. You should look at Haines airport PAHN.  If flying larger consider Whitehorse CYXY. Its only a 100 miles from Skagway and can take 747's and its covered in Orbx SE Alaska.

I guess I am going to get my Phenom 300 serviced and fueled up, if I want to keep up with you crowd.. the TBM850 is not going to cut it :blush:

23 hours ago, YukonPete said:

Skagway is tiny. I live in the area and I've only ever seen light aircraft. You should look at Haines airport PAHN.  If flying larger consider Whitehorse CYXY. Its only a 100 miles from Skagway and can take 747's and its covered in Orbx SE Alaska.

You are right, we need to rethink Skagway.. either skip it, or switch into a Feeder Airline leg.

Nice trip suggestion.  What's the total estimate flight time? 2 hr give or take?