Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Can't contain my feelings for Prepa3dv4

Believe me, Dave, you will get the hang of it rather quickly.  The set up is the small bit of challenge.  The Graphics menu will be an area you will play with until you get the exact mix of candy that's right for you.  There are so many great tips on this forum and YouTube that make the whole experience fun and quite educational.

The real fun part is you're now using a product that has a bright, and very optimistic future.  FSX investing is futile and rather senseless at this point since it has no future.  That was my main reason for switching, and now it has become really enjoyable again.

Stan

1 hour ago, trainut123 said:

well chaps read all your comments took the plunge this morning, still wadding through it  what i see is great , cant quite get controls figered but ill keep trying when i can get sorted ill add all my orbx stuff, even with all sliders at bare min looks better than my old fsx    dave

Just resisit the urge to "tweak" like you did in FSX. Many of the old FSX tweaks are built in now and the others are not needed. Accept the defaults for now and adjust the sliders as you go. Work for the best balance between visuals and performance.

Vic

• Upvote 3

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

AGREED!

I no longer depend on Nvidia Inspector or the myriad of tweaks FSX needed (like a crutch) just to stand up.

Stan

10 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

Just resisit the urge to "tweak" like you did in FSX. Many of the old FSX tweaks are built in now and the others are not needed. Accept the defaults for now and adjust the sliders as you go. Work for the best balance between visuals and performance.

Vic

Best advise. Very true.

On 9/30/2017 at 8:51 AM, vgbaron said:

Vic

Agreed.. some of the rules are different as well..

In FSX, limited fps worked best for me, in P3D, unlimited.. :cool:

• Upvote 1

Bert

On 29.9.2017 at 2:36 AM, spilok said:

I just can't contain my feelings for this wonderful program:  Prepar3dv4.  Being a simmer for well over 25 years, I thought there was no light at the end of the FSX tunnel   Microsoft stopped upgrading and supporting this product, and I felt real despair for my most important hobby and love............

I love your post, dear Stan - very well said!  Thanks for sharing your excitement with us.

Best regards to all of you, dear simming brothers

PS: Is there a better hobby than ours :biggrin: ?

• Upvote 1

On 9/28/2017 at 6:36 PM, spilok said:

I just can't contain my feelings for this wonderful program:  Prepar3dv4.  Being a simmer for well over 25 years, I thought there was no light at the end of the FSX tunnel   Microsoft stopped upgrading and supporting this product, and I felt real despair for my most important hobby and love.  Rarely does a day go by that I don't fly somewhere in simulation.  I have learned so very much about aviation, and spent untold dollars enhancing this important part of my life.  I've invested in superb state of the art computers through Jetline Systems (built specifically for this simulation), and added every possible scenery/aircraft addon that I could with out exceeding my disc space.  Flying became so frustrating and burdensome after all the OOM's and CTD errors, that I was pessimistic about my future with something that I loved so much.

Stan

Well said Stan!  I doubt that I will ever run FSX again.

Bill

• Upvote 1

Bill  N7IBG     

On 9/30/2017 at 11:51 AM, vgbaron said:

Just resist the urge to "tweak" like you did in FSX.

Except for PTA...

Russ

Master Sergeant, U.S. Air Force, Retired

Former T-33A Crew Chief

Former B-1B Crew Chief / Flightline Maintenance Expediter

Former Learjet Corp. Quality Inspector

Formerly Young (😩)

Yes.  The "excitement" continues.  If you are concerned about spending your hard earned money.....WHY would you spend another dime on FSX? You know it's going to eventually dry up because it's not being supported.  You know that as all this wonderful candy and addons come out , that it's only a recipe for more OOM's.  What's the point?  That's the conclusion I came to. It's hard to earn money today, and its even harder to spend it if it is spent for a bankrupt system.  It's better spent on a sim that has a future, Yes?

Stan

• Upvote 1

Can't argue with that Stan.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I am a man of few words and fewer postings, but I have been running V4 alongside V3 and rarely fire up V3 now; as my chosen add-ons have been upgraded, V4 has been my go-to sim, and I'd expect that to accelerate - especially now that Aerosoft have made EGLL V4 compatible.

My hardware is not cutting edge anymore; an all-SSD Alienware 17 with i7 4930 Extreme, 32gb and GTX880 is not exactly state of the art, but EGLL looks great and with AI traffic and a few bells and whistles I get a fluid experience at 30 fps.

I have already abandoned FSX, and I would imagine that within a few weeks/months I'll have uninstalled P3D V3 too.

P3D has matured nicely with V4 and I'm now looking forward to 4.1 and future iterations.

Dave 

• Upvote 1

I only recently got into flight simming. Started with FSX:SE, and really enjoyed it, but very quickly started experiencing OOMs, which put a big damper on the whole thing. I tried the XPlane 11 demo, and while it easily looks the best of all the sims, the flight dynamics made that a non-starter. I grabbed FSW on sale, but almost immediately afterward realized that since I'm in the Navy, and routinely do "nautical training" I could get the academic version of P3D V4.

I haven't looked back since.  Not a single OOM, and I can load pretty much any add-on I want.  I only hit the limits of my PC's performance after getting ORBX San Diego and pushing all the sliders to the right.

Oh, and First Post!

2 hours ago, TrabantDave said:

within a few weeks/months I'll have uninstalled P3D V3

Dear, in few words.. Please, keep one sim in 32 bits... to be able to retrieve some addons you like a lot !... Who never shall be upgrated... For expl: some of Milviz or... ( perhaps?)

Coming from a v4 addict ;-)

2 hours ago, _Gladius_ said:

Oh, and First Post!

Congrats with that and welcome to the AVSIM forum! :happy:

And btw, I also can hardly contain my feelings for P3Dv4. Loving it. Just bought Orbx's Germany North and South (after flying for years in FTX Norway) and it's great. Loving every minute of it. My GA flights are getting longer and longer which makes it clear I am not getting bored with P3D v4. :happy: