J van E

Bought PTA: I was afraid this would happen

Recommended Posts

Ok, so after all the raving reviews I decided to buy PTA after all. I am still running 4.0 so no problems there. I also read about the great preset call Thopat so I also downloaded that one. Then I fired up P3D and just as I thought things looked terrible, just as in the screenshots I saw. Very oversaturated colors and things are way too DARK! I can't even see the details of my A2A Comanche cockpit anymore! It's all BLACK! And it does NOT like like the sun is shining for the first time, as everyone says: it looks way too dark and totally unrealistic! It looks as if my monitor is braking down! Terrible. Yikes. I turned brightness up and while it helped to bring back a little bit of detail it mainly made things look worse.

Now I absolutely hate tweaking (since leaving FSX behind) so I was hoping someone here would show me a preset that would make the sun shine as promised (my test flights was on a sunny summer's day with just a few clouds) and that would also make things look REALISTIC instead of totally ****. Any ideas anyone?

EDIT
And could it be PTA hurts performance?

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi,

 

There are several presets avialable.
Try this posting: 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Would recommend Pilot Pete's PTA Preset have a look at this mate, it ain't bad and not too saturated etc he's gone for realism. No need for reshade either. Fly Safe.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, Egbert Drenth said:

Hi,

 

There are several presets avialable.
Try this posting:

Had a look at that topic in the meantime but 1. there hardly are any presets you can download and 2. the ones I could download still look way too dark.

4 minutes ago, Wingloader said:

Would recommend Pilot Pete's PTA Preset have a look at this mate, it ain't bad and not too saturated etc he's gone for realism. No need for reshade either. Fly Safe.

Thanks, I will have a look at that one!

Share this post


Link to post

Hi,

First of all, you need to wait for PTA update for P3D v4.1. It should be released today.

As for me, I am using Envtex and their PTA absolute preset (viersion with more haze). Coupled with AS16 and ASCA it gives me the best, realistic experience.

If you decide to use it, don't forget to adjust your HDR settings for the recommended ones. Many PTA presets have those recommendations.

Anyways... since you don't like tweaking... welcome back in hell :biggrin:

Good luck

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Yeh sure Pete will update his Preset once PTA compatibility  for P3D 4.1 is released. :happy:

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, J van E said:

Ok, so after all the raving reviews I decided to buy PTA after all. I am still running 4.0 so no problems there. I also read about the great preset call Thopat so I also downloaded that one. Then I fired up P3D and just as I thought things looked terrible, just as in the screenshots I saw. Very oversaturated colors and things are way too DARK! I can't even see the details of my A2A Comanche cockpit anymore! It's all BLACK! And it does NOT like like the sun is shining for the first time, as everyone says: it looks way too dark and totally unrealistic! It looks as if my monitor is braking down! Terrible. Yikes. I turned brightness up and while it helped to bring back a little bit of detail it mainly made things look worse.

Now I absolutely hate tweaking (since leaving FSX behind) so I was hoping someone here would show me a preset that would make the sun shine as promised (my test flights was on a sunny summer's day with just a few clouds) and that would also make things look REALISTIC instead of totally ****. Any ideas anyone?

EDIT
And could it be PTA hurts performance?

You need to take a chill pill. :biggrin:

REX has several PTA presets. Maybe there's one that you will like.

Once you start playing with the PTA settings you will be able to set up the sim the way you like it.

An updated version is set to be released today.

Share this post


Link to post

Well he is not happy and he is reaching for help, hopefully he will get the desired results after following the useful comments from other experienced PTA users.

Regards,
Simbol

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, twojastara said:

First of all, you need to wait for PTA update for P3D v4.1. It should be released today.

Don't have 4.1 installed yet. :wink:

3 minutes ago, Wingloader said:

Yeh sure Pete will update his Preset once PTA compatibility  for P3D 4.1 is released. :happy:

Tried Pete's preset: still terribly dark and saturated. Changing the HDR settings (which he didn't give on the file) doesn't help.

3 minutes ago, DJJose said:

You need to take a chill pill. :biggrin:

REX has several PTA presets. Maybe there's one that you will like.

Maybe yes, LOL but I just bought the addon hoping that I would be AMAZED as everyone else seems to be but so far I don't understand why everyone is so happy with it.

I will have a look at the REX preset altough I don't use REX.

1 minute ago, Sethos1988 said:

Bit more drama and you could have your own TV show.

That is my final goal, yes LOL But anyway, I don't see any harm in posting my honest opinion here. I was expecting a lot from PTA but so far is hasn't paid off. On the contrary.

1 minute ago, simbol said:

Well he is not happy and he is reaching for help, hopefully he will get the desired results after following the useful comments from other experienced PTA users.

Regards,
Simbol

Thank you. :happy:

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Or be "the leader of the free world".

:biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post

hello,

the simplest solution to beat darkness is search for light :P 

in P3D you do that by going to the lighting tab/options and increase the brightness till you like it !

The problem with these presets is that its not 'one size fits all' , simply because almost every one has different monitors ,TVs etc, therefore different looking outputs.

many times we need to make minor adjustments to the brightness,saturation,bloom sliders.

Note : ALL this is assuming you have HDR lighting enabled .

 

Kind regards,

jaffer

Share this post


Link to post

Before PTA I had URP. I then got PTA and set it up and found things were dark. I disabled URP and found that really brightened things up. If you have URP as well try removing it and see if that improves the brightness.

Share this post


Link to post

Everyone is happy with PTA because it makes P3D v4 look amazing. I have not updated to 4.1 because I'm waiting for the PTA update to be released. That's how much of a difference it makes.

Share this post


Link to post

I am sure, I cannot fly withouth Reshade!

After you start using Shaders to improve your simulator you cannot stop :biggrin:.

S.

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, jafferhussain11 said:

hello,

the simplest solution to beat darkness is search for light :P 

in P3D you do that by going to the lighting tab/options and increase the brightness till you like it !

The problem with these presets is that its not 'one size fits all' , simply because almost every one has different monitors ,TVs etc, therefore different looking outputs.

many times we need to make minor adjustments to the brightness,saturation,bloom sliders.

Note : ALL this is assuming you have HDR lighting enabled .

 

Kind regards,

jaffer

Thanks for the tip but as I said turning up brightness only makes things look worse here... And Yes, HDR is on.

15 minutes ago, Matthew James de Bohun said:

Before PTA I had URP. I then got PTA and set it up and found things were dark. I disabled URP and found that really brightened things up. If you have URP as well try removing it and see if that improves the brightness.

Don't have URP but thanks for the heads up!

11 minutes ago, DJJose said:

Everyone is happy with PTA because it makes P3D v4 look amazing. I have not updated to 4.1 because I'm waiting for the PTA update to be released. That's how much of a difference it makes.

It's post like these that made me buy PTA and it's posts like these that makes me thing what is going wrong here. :happy: As it is now I am ready to update to 4.1 so I can't use PTA anymore LOL Look amazing...? Now THAT amazes me. It may look amazing in a way but it sure doesn't look realistic.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, J van E said:

 things are way too DARK! I can't even see the details of my A2A Comanche cockpit anymore! It's all BLACK!

Thopat has the contrast ramped up

In Pta go to contrast tuning on the left near the bottom and set the default value of 0.5

Higher values increase contrast, that's one of the reasons it's so dark. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Wingloader said:

Would recommend Pilot Pete's PTA Preset have a look at this mate, it ain't bad and not too saturated etc he's gone for realism. No need for reshade either. Fly Safe.

 

Thanks for the link. I just applied this and loving it. 

Share this post


Link to post

I was in the same situation. I got PTA and had trouble finding a preset I really liked.

I then gave URP a go and haven't looked back at PTA since. I use URP skies and shaders high contrast without reshade and the recommended HDR settings. Don't use the sun mod since I have that from ENVTEX together with clouds.

Really happy with this setup!

Share this post


Link to post

 

26 minutes ago, branks737 said:

Thanks for the link. I just applied this and loving it. 

Glad to hear it, it's not bad me thinks, not too in ya face either so to speak, has a good realism kind of edge to it.  :happy:

Share this post


Link to post

Just try tweaking the values yourself - most of them have screenshots that show you pretty much exactly what the effect will be. That's how I've ended up with a preset that I'm very happy with (I went for realism rather than heavy over saturated colours), and it only took me a little bit of trial and error.

Share this post


Link to post

There are ton of people with presets.  A little searching would have saved you some headache.  

And yes after applying the preset you'll have adjust the lighting settings the person who created the preset to match in P3D.  

Thopat

URP

Adam_NZ

REX

ENVTEX

Matt Davies

are the most well known for their presets.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, WebMaximus said:

then gave URP a go

What's URP?

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now