Sign in to follow this  
xwinds

Getting error code 0x80004005 when extracting installers

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,

For the first time ever I'm getting this strange error code while extracting the files that's not allowing me to install the T7 & 747 updates! Any help would be huge!

 

Thanks,

Jay

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Jay, that was too brief to give one an idea of what you are trying to do.  I have to assume you have downloaded the latest 777 and 744 installers from your PMDG account, and you have uninstalled the versions you had.  There is no need to extract an installer that is contained in a zip container unless there are multiple files.  PMDG always uses a single file for the installer so Windows is perfectly capable of running the installer as it exists inside the zip container.  How are you trying to "extract" the "files."

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Dan, thanks for taking a moment to get back. 

Your right- I uninstalled previous versions and downloaded current ones.

I tried running the installer from the zip file and it fails. A message comes up saying the destination file could not be extracted...

This is a first for an extraction error, and it only occurs with these PMDG files. Other downloads have no issues.

Thanks again and best,

Jay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Either way, the installer is always extracted, no matter if you run it from the ZIP file or not (will be extracted to the Windows temp folder if run from inside the ZIP). 

Three possible scenarios:

1. ZIP file is corrupt, either by incomplete download or disruptive anti virus software. Re-Download and install with AV turned off.

2. It's a non-standard ZIP file, which is not compatible with the in-built Windows ZIP functionality. In that case use an alternate ZIP packer like 7zip (not sure why this would be the case, though)

3. Some other unknown influence, Windows Update maybe. 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey thanks for your help with this again Dan. I’ll look into it with this alternate Zip file extractor you recommended and revert with the outcome. Will most likely be toward end of the week. 

Thanks again & best,

 

Jay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, xwinds said:

Hey thanks for your help with this again Dan. I’ll look into it with this alternate Zip file extractor you recommended and revert with the outcome. Will most likely be toward end of the week. 

Thanks again & best,

 

Jay

I saw something yesterday in the PMDG Knowledge Base that is related to this but I couldn't find this topic so now that I have it back here you go: https://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a20/error-number-0x800c0005-during-install.aspx

I'm not sure how many users are even aware of the Knowledge Base, might be worthwhile to look there as part of troubleshooting.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 0:08 PM, downscc said:

I saw something yesterday in the PMDG Knowledge Base that is related to this but I couldn't find this topic so now that I have it back here you go: https://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a20/error-number-0x800c0005-during-install.aspx

I'm not sure how many users are even aware of the Knowledge Base, might be worthwhile to look there as part of troubleshooting.

Hi Dan, Once again thanks much for your help with this. I tried everything  even from the KB but its not working. However in the 7Zip program I do get a data error message while extracting the file. So I pretty much think the download link(s) in my account may be bad file(s).

It's frustrating as I don't have any of the PMDG products I purchased since I uninstalled everything before downloading and extracting the new files, and my wife deleted my FS Downloads folder in exasperation with all my desktop icons and it sux that I don't have any access to previous installers either!

But thanks again for all your help here, I'm hoping to get the attention from the PMDG Support staff here as my OC has also gone.

All the best,

 

Jay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, xwinds said:

But thanks again for all your help here, I'm hoping to get the attention from the PMDG Support staff here as my OC has also gone.

Go to PMDG Product Support, create a support account (which are separate from sales accounts) and open a support ticket.  http://support.precisionmanuals.com

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jay-

I'm not sure if this helps, but:  There is no such thing as "the download links from my account may be bad."  There is a single common source file that feeds the entire global distribution network so if there was a problem with the source file, we would have many many thousands of users reporting trouble.

The issue is most likely that you are running some kind of A/V (intentionally, or otherwise) that is trying to sniff and reassemble the file in real time, and leaving you with corruption.  The fact that this happened on two different source files alsobacks the suspicion that the issue is occurring during the download.

Another item to be careful of:  Extract the contents of the zip file to a temporary directory manually.  Don't let windows do it.  Under normal circumstances it shouldn't matter- but given that you are having trouble- it is worth taking extra precautions.

For anyone else reading this:  I've said many times over the past few months- If you have a third party A/V suite on your machine- you are wasting money and creating headaches.  Putting something like Norton on a computer is a bit like pouring water into the case while it is running.  Except that the water is transparent in how it damages your machine. 

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Dan, Appreciate 

On 10/29/2017 at 6:41 PM, downscc said:

Go to PMDG Product Support, create a support account (which are separate from sales accounts) and open a support ticket.  http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Thanks Dan, I appreciate your help looking into this. 

All the best,

Jay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/29/2017 at 6:45 PM, rsrandazzo said:

Jay-

I'm not sure if this helps, but:  There is no such thing as "the download links from my account may be bad."  There is a single common source file that feeds the entire global distribution network so if there was a problem with the source file, we would have many many thousands of users reporting trouble.

The issue is most likely that you are running some kind of A/V (intentionally, or otherwise) that is trying to sniff and reassemble the file in real time, and leaving you with corruption.  The fact that this happened on two different source files alsobacks the suspicion that the issue is occurring during the download.

Another item to be careful of:  Extract the contents of the zip file to a temporary directory manually.  Don't let windows do it.  Under normal circumstances it shouldn't matter- but given that you are having trouble- it is worth taking extra precautions.

For anyone else reading this:  I've said many times over the past few months- If you have a third party A/V suite on your machine- you are wasting money and creating headaches.  Putting something like Norton on a computer is a bit like pouring water into the case while it is running.  Except that the water is transparent in how it damages your machine. 

 

Thanks for looking into this for me Robert. I don’t have any AV except the native Windows Defender. I turn that off during downloads.  It just occurred to me about the Windows Smart Screen. I’ll turn that off too and give it a try and revert. 

Like I previously mentioned- this the first time ever that I’m experiencing this issue and it baffles me.

Thanks again & best,

Jay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 6:45 PM, rsrandazzo said:

Jay-

I'm not sure if this helps, but:  There is no such thing as "the download links from my account may be bad."  There is a single common source file that feeds the entire global distribution network so if there was a problem with the source file, we would have many many thousands of users reporting trouble.

The issue is most likely that you are running some kind of A/V (intentionally, or otherwise) that is trying to sniff and reassemble the file in real time, and leaving you with corruption.  The fact that this happened on two different source files alsobacks the suspicion that the issue is occurring during the download.

Another item to be careful of:  Extract the contents of the zip file to a temporary directory manually.  Don't let windows do it.  Under normal circumstances it shouldn't matter- but given that you are having trouble- it is worth taking extra precautions.

For anyone else reading this:  I've said many times over the past few months- If you have a third party A/V suite on your machine- you are wasting money and creating headaches.  Putting something like Norton on a computer is a bit like pouring water into the case while it is running.  Except that the water is transparent in how it damages your machine. 

 

Okay Robert, it went through this time- I turned off everything and downloaded the files. The 747 installed without a hitch, but the T7 had issues. I just kept deleting and re-downloading till it came across clean. Thanks for your assistance.

All the best,

Jay

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, xwinds said:

I just kept deleting and re-downloading till it came across clean.

This definitely means you have something wrong on your system. Perhaps AV you didn't realize got installed, a download accelerator/manager, or even a virus can all corrupt downloads. Definitely have a look at your computer, as this is not a problem on our end.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To add to that, maybe also check up your storage devices. Random data corruption can also be caused by a failing hard drive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/1/2017 at 7:00 AM, scandinavian13 said:

This definitely means you have something wrong on your system. Perhaps AV you didn't realize got installed, a download accelerator/manager, or even a virus can all corrupt downloads. Definitely have a look at your computer, as this is not a problem on our end.

Thanks much, will do!

-Jay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, MorsAbAlto said:

To add to that, maybe also check up your storage devices. Random data corruption can also be caused by a failing hard drive.

Thanks, I have assigned an independent ssd for FSX. But will look into it this weekend. 

All the best,

Jay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also its worth bearing in mind that sometimes during an extraction process the files are temporarily extracted to a system directory on the C:\ drive. Might be worth making sure C:\ is clean and has plenty of space as well even if its not the final destination of the extraction.

Personally I've had a lot of downloads work fine lately from the internet from various sources but fail to extract / run properly due to overly interfering A/V software, which has been mentioned as a possible cause already from the various replies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this