Sign in to follow this  
Navigator43

Hyperthreading V4.1

Good day simmers! I’m just curious to know if anyone here is leaving HT on with V4.1. Reason asking is that when I switched it off with V4 I noticed a performance increase. Now with 4.1 I don’t really see a big difference only it’s still not as smooth with HT on. Any input? i7 4790k Asus Strix 1080

Angus Rowlands: i7 8700 RTX Asus Strix 2080, 16 GB RAM

4 minutes ago, simbol said:

I leave mine enabled, but I have OC my i6700k CPU to 4.6 GHZ

S.

Ok cool wish I could OC my 4790k but I’m not sure how to do it and the local PC store doesn’t want to help me because they don’t want any part of it. I got a h100i cooler. Got all the stuff just not sure what I’m at lol. Anyhow to stay on the subject I guess I’ll leave it enabled seems best 

Just now, aushie said:

Ok cool wish I could OC my 4790k but I’m not sure how to do it and the local PC store doesn’t want to help me because they don’t want any part of it. I got a h100i cooler. Got all the stuff just not sure what I’m at lol. Anyhow to stay on the subject I guess I’ll leave it enabled seems best 

What motherboard you have? OC is not as difficult as it sound!

S.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, simbol said:

What motherboard you have? OC is not as difficult as it sound!

S.

Asus Z97 A

I leave it enabled, but set the affinity mask so that that there is nothing on Logical Core 1. i.e. all other cores use hyperthreading, for maximum throughput, but not degrading the most important thread on Core 0.

I OC my 4790K as well but leave HT off as HT on will produce too much heat. Better to have higher clocks and less heat!

• Upvote 2

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

47 minutes ago, srce said:

I leave it enabled, but set the affinity mask so that that there is nothing on Logical Core 1. i.e. all other cores use hyperthreading, for maximum throughput, but not degrading the most important thread on Core 0.

What setting do you use in AF to achieve this? 

Here's what Beau from LM had to say about threading in the recent Reddit AMA:

Beau: Every release features more multicore threading to improve performance. Overall, Prepar3D is already threaded in some of the most important areas. Still, we continue to improve on this as we progress with optimizing the baseline. For example, in Prepar3D v4, the functions that draw maps for gauges were threaded out. So, while we continue to look for ways to improve, Prepar3D has already made some significant progress compared to previous releases.

I leave hyperthreading on, and overclock as much as I can without visible smoke appearing.

• Upvote 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

13 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

Here's what Beau from LM had to say about threading in the recent Reddit AMA:

Beau: Every release features more multicore threading to improve performance. Overall, Prepar3D is already threaded in some of the most important areas. Still, we continue to improve on this as we progress with optimizing the baseline. For example, in Prepar3D v4, the functions that draw maps for gauges were threaded out. So, while we continue to look for ways to improve, Prepar3D has already made some significant progress compared to previous releases.

I leave hyperthreading on, and overclock as much as I can without visible smoke appearing.

So basically the LM team leave it on!

• Upvote 1

What i've done: leaving HT on, refrain from fiddling around with AM in the Prepar3D config and moving processes of other sofware and add-ons via "Processlasso" away from Cores 0,1,2 and 3. Works good so far.

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

1 hour ago, Cargostorm said:

I OC my 4790K as well but leave HT off as HT on will produce too much heat. Better to have higher clocks and less heat!

I wonder why still people existing in this myth... IF you experience heat issues, your overclock is not stable, point. Your HT on and off thingy simply illustrates that you overclocked your CPU too much, that's all.

• Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

5 minutes ago, AnkH said:

I wonder why still people existing in this myth... IF you experience heat issues, your overclock is not stable, point. Your HT on and off thingy simply illustrates that you overclocked your CPU too much, that's all.

What myth?
"Stable OC" depends on CPU, Mobo and RAM temperatures, right?
Leaving HT On does increase CPU temperature, that's a fact, not a myth.
So talking about "stable OC" when changing a main component max temperature makes no sense.

• Upvote 2

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.