Navigator43

Hyperthreading V4.1

Recommended Posts

Good day simmers! I’m just curious to know if anyone here is leaving HT on with V4.1. Reason asking is that when I switched it off with V4 I noticed a performance increase. Now with 4.1 I don’t really see a big difference only it’s still not as smooth with HT on. Any input? i7 4790k Asus Strix 1080

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I leave mine enabled, but I have OC my i6700k CPU to 4.6 GHZ

S.

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, simbol said:

I leave mine enabled, but I have OC my i6700k CPU to 4.6 GHZ

S.

Ok cool wish I could OC my 4790k but I’m not sure how to do it and the local PC store doesn’t want to help me because they don’t want any part of it. I got a h100i cooler. Got all the stuff just not sure what I’m at lol. Anyhow to stay on the subject I guess I’ll leave it enabled seems best 

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, aushie said:

Ok cool wish I could OC my 4790k but I’m not sure how to do it and the local PC store doesn’t want to help me because they don’t want any part of it. I got a h100i cooler. Got all the stuff just not sure what I’m at lol. Anyhow to stay on the subject I guess I’ll leave it enabled seems best 

What motherboard you have? OC is not as difficult as it sound!

S.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, simbol said:

What motherboard you have? OC is not as difficult as it sound!

S.

Asus Z97 A

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, aushie said:

Asus Z97 A

Here you go, have fun!

Simbol

Share this post


Link to post

I leave it enabled, but set the affinity mask so that that there is nothing on Logical Core 1. i.e. all other cores use hyperthreading, for maximum throughput, but not degrading the most important thread on Core 0.

Share this post


Link to post

I OC my 4790K as well but leave HT off as HT on will produce too much heat. Better to have higher clocks and less heat!

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
47 minutes ago, srce said:

I leave it enabled, but set the affinity mask so that that there is nothing on Logical Core 1. i.e. all other cores use hyperthreading, for maximum throughput, but not degrading the most important thread on Core 0.

What setting do you use in AF to achieve this? 

Share this post


Link to post

Here's what Beau from LM had to say about threading in the recent Reddit AMA:

Beau: Every release features more multicore threading to improve performance. Overall, Prepar3D is already threaded in some of the most important areas. Still, we continue to improve on this as we progress with optimizing the baseline. For example, in Prepar3D v4, the functions that draw maps for gauges were threaded out. So, while we continue to look for ways to improve, Prepar3D has already made some significant progress compared to previous releases.

I leave hyperthreading on, and overclock as much as I can without visible smoke appearing.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

Here's what Beau from LM had to say about threading in the recent Reddit AMA:

Beau: Every release features more multicore threading to improve performance. Overall, Prepar3D is already threaded in some of the most important areas. Still, we continue to improve on this as we progress with optimizing the baseline. For example, in Prepar3D v4, the functions that draw maps for gauges were threaded out. So, while we continue to look for ways to improve, Prepar3D has already made some significant progress compared to previous releases.

I leave hyperthreading on, and overclock as much as I can without visible smoke appearing.

So basically the LM team leave it on!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

What i've done: leaving HT on, refrain from fiddling around with AM in the Prepar3D config and moving processes of other sofware and add-ons via "Processlasso" away from Cores 0,1,2 and 3. Works good so far.

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Cargostorm said:

I OC my 4790K as well but leave HT off as HT on will produce too much heat. Better to have higher clocks and less heat!

I wonder why still people existing in this myth... IF you experience heat issues, your overclock is not stable, point. Your HT on and off thingy simply illustrates that you overclocked your CPU too much, that's all.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, AnkH said:

I wonder why still people existing in this myth... IF you experience heat issues, your overclock is not stable, point. Your HT on and off thingy simply illustrates that you overclocked your CPU too much, that's all.

What myth?
"Stable OC" depends on CPU, Mobo and RAM temperatures, right?
Leaving HT On does increase CPU temperature, that's a fact, not a myth.
So talking about "stable OC" when changing a main component max temperature makes no sense.
 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.