Looking for some advice please, 

I tried using my oldish 42 inch HD tv for my main monitor for FSX. While the size compared to my 24 inch real monitor was nice the level of detail is utterly abysmal, so bad that without zooming in you can't read any of the PFD. Has anyone on tired FSX on a 4k TV, if so what was the experience like? I fancy upgrading but I don't want to fork out unless I know its going to be worth it. 

Thanks for any advice. 

Many 4K 'TVs' are designed to function as computer monitors and also allow you to put them into modes which minimize input lag so they're decent for gaming.

I am curious what brand of HD TV you tried? I have two Sony Bravias which when hooked up directly via HDMI to my computer, downscale the image to something awful like 640X480 - completely unusable. I am convinced it's some sort of video copy protection that Sony has lurking in their firmware (though I've never been able to verify this). However, when I use an intermediary to plug my PC HDMI into, in particular, a sound bar, then plug that device into the Sony TV, it works quite well.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

bgyuk,

I cannot help you here, but I do have a reasonably similar problem.  I have a 60inch 1080p LED tv as my main screen. I use this for my virtual cockpit. I can however, read my dials albeit not incredibly clearly. I too would like to upgrade to 4k but I think I would run into the same problem that I assume you MAY run into. That would be a fairly dramatic loss of FPS. and for you, maybe some OOMs. I am running FS2004 with 6 monitors but all are 1080 or similar. Whilst my frame rates are good to excellent most of the time (I do get down to about 20FPS at heavy airports) I believe going to 4k may well drop the bottom out of it.

In that vein I would love to know if the 4k as opposed to 1080p 

is really going to have any dramatic effect on our FPS and/or smoothness

Cheers 

Tony Chilcott

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Many use a 4k TV, including myself. See the hardware forum.

It's great btw, everything is so crisp and sharp, including gauges, you almost don't even need to use anti-aliasing.

I use a samsung 8500 65 inch tv as a PC monitor and for P3D 4.1.

It looks wonderful, and I really enjoy the combination of this size and 4k resolution.

I use an old 2600k processor overclocked to 4.2 Ghz and a 1080Ti with most settings set pretty high.

To be fair I don´t use any special airport scenery as I don´t really care about that but I do use orbx general

enhancements. I set the fps to 30, vsync on and it holds in most situations on the pmdg 747.

Amazing how the 2600k holds up, it´s still going strong for me.

A 4K TV is a great option as a monitor for simming--I use a dedicated 55 inch Samsung JS8500 here for P3D (v3.4 and v4.1)...but it's not the best solution for FSX, ahd here's why:

The catch with FSX is that the CPU is doing much (most) of the rendering work rather than the GPU, so it's going to hit the frame rate pretty hard having to compose all those huge 4K frames.  Running in DX10 "preview" with DX10 Fixer will help, but only to a point.  I have run FSX on my TV by turning scaling off and dialing the resolution down to something less that the full 3840x2160 (e.g. 3440 x 1440) and accepted the border around the smaller (but still fairly large) screen area.  That works to get my MD-11 flying in FSX on occasion, but most of my flying is in P3D where DX11 and powerful graphics processor(s) can deal with composing and antialiasing 8 megapixel video frames.

If I were going to run FSX as my primary sim, I'd probably go with a 21:9 monitor like the Dell UW3415 rather than a 4K TV...the screen area is still pretty large, but the pixel count is less than 60% of the 4K image.

So use caution, FSX is going to struggle at 4K unless you have a cutting edge CPU and dial some settings back.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case