Sign in to follow this  
mattyshigh

Seriously considering going VR?

I currently have a i7 6700 and a Nvidia 1080. That spec on a rift can handle the 4K supersample... sort of....but slow frame rates on P3D v4 with ORBX trimmings. This is acceptable for the slow moving light aircraft I prefer to use. Even if I had the fastest processor / card combo money could buy I might just get that improved to 90 FPS at 4K.

To get true 8K VR would take multiple 1080TI / Titans running in SLI (which is always problematic). This is why they have opted to created the Pimax 8K which upscales a lower render to the 2x4k screens. Later the will make the Pimax 8K"X" which is built for true wallet busting 2 x 4K resolution.

The Pimax 8K  is more about displaying a true 1 to 1 ratio ( of current high end render to actual pixel) than pushing the boundaries of game render resolution. Obviously this is slightly complicated by the wide FOV which changes the render aspect.

While on that subject, its worth pointing out that while everyone is going bat word not allowed crazy about the wide FOV it should be remembered that one of the proven methods to combat VR sickness is to narrow field of view. The other is to keep frame rates high. Therefore if you add wide FOV + Slow framerates (due to high resolution) + fast motion = big white phone to god!

I would be the 1st to throw money at a high resolution headset. However, I am not convinced. Oculus / HTC + other big players could have easily done what Pimax are attempting and yet with all their research they have chosen not to do so. Therefore I have not joined the kickstarter party. My heart hopes are that the Pimax 8K will be brilliant, my head suspects it will be problematic. 

Thought I would feature and pin this topic for awhile as it contains a lot of very useful information regarding VR.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

On 14/11/2017 at 5:32 PM, flibberflops said:

I currently have a i7 6700 and a Nvidia 1080. That spec on a rift can handle the 4K supersample... sort of....but slow frame rates on P3D v4 with ORBX trimmings. This is acceptable for the slow moving light aircraft I prefer to use. Even if I had the fastest processor / card combo money could buy I might just get that improved to 90 FPS at 4K.

To get true 8K VR would take multiple 1080TI / Titans running in SLI (which is always problematic). This is why they have opted to created the Pimax 8K which upscales a lower render to the 2x4k screens. Later the will make the Pimax 8K"X" which is built for true wallet busting 2 x 4K resolution.

The Pimax 8K  is more about displaying a true 1 to 1 ratio ( of current high end render to actual pixel) than pushing the boundaries of game render resolution. Obviously this is slightly complicated by the wide FOV which changes the render aspect.

While on that subject, its worth pointing out that while everyone is going bat word not allowed crazy about the wide FOV it should be remembered that one of the proven methods to combat VR sickness is to narrow field of view. The other is to keep frame rates high. Therefore if you add wide FOV + Slow framerates (due to high resolution) + fast motion = big white phone to god!

I would be the 1st to throw money at a high resolution headset. However, I am not convinced. Oculus / HTC + other big players could have easily done what Pimax are attempting and yet with all their research they have chosen not to do so. Therefore I have not joined the kickstarter party. My heart hopes are that the Pimax 8K will be brilliant, my head suspects it will be problematic. 

I'm not sure current hardware is powerful enough for a Pimax 8K and P3D.  

A refined Pimax 4K with increased gyroscope axis and fresnel lenses to reduce lens edge blur (fresnel on the occulus apparently)

sounds a good improvement to me.

The Pimax 8K is really just a 4K from what I`ve understood.

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

17 hours ago, nigel day said:

I'm not sure current hardware is powerful enough for a Pimax 8K and P3D.  

A refined Pimax 4K with increased gyroscope axis and fresnel lenses to reduce lens edge blur (fresnel on the occulus apparently)

sounds a good improvement to me.

Tgcbraun is correct (and if you look at my previous posts).... "The Pimax 8K doesn't render at 8k... or even 2 x 4k. It renders at  2*2560×1440 and then upscales it to 2x4K."

I am already rendering P3D (using my rift)  higher resolution than the Pimax 8K so it shouldn't be an issue.

The Pimax 8K X model will accept the full UHD - 3840x2160 from your video card.

But one thing needs clarification, Pimax 8K has a driver that apparently accepts left eye at 2560x1440 (or for X 3840x2160) then the next video frame at 150->180fps accepts the right eye at 2560x1440 (...) in order to keep the requirement for bandwidth down. They call this Brainwarp - maybe it depends on our eye persistence. The best technical data - at least from their company - is on their Kickstarter page:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pimax8kvr/pimax-the-worlds-first-8k-vr-headset

I think that those of us who have been using Super Sampling at 1.5 or higher (GTX 1080 or equiv) should have enough bandwidth for Pimax 8K X.

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

On 02/12/2017 at 4:11 PM, flibberflops said:

Tgcbraun is correct (and if you look at my previous posts).... "The Pimax 8K doesn't render at 8k... or even 2 x 4k. It renders at  2*2560×1440 and then upscales it to 2x4K."

I am already rendering P3D (using my rift)  higher resolution than the Pimax 8K so it shouldn't be an issue.

I'm curious as to what would be the advantage of a Pimax "8K" if you can use your rift at a higher resolution through rendering / supersampling?

Thanks

This is just an vague analogy for explanation purposes. However, imagine you have got yourself a 1080p film...

Playing on the rift is like watching it on a 720p TV. The input to the screen is 1080p but the screen is only 720p. Strangly enough this will look better quality than watching a 720p film on a 720p screen.

Playing it on the Pimax will be like watching a 1080p film on a 4K TV.

Obviously for the best quality you will want a 4k film played on a 4k TV. As previously mentioned there will be a Pimax 8KX (note the "X") that will be made some time after the normal pimax 8k. This will be true two x 4k... and yes it will need a big kickass pc.

I think it is not compatible with P3D V4.1 native VR, but I`ve heard that you could use Flyinside latest beta with WMR devices. Please give us your feedback when you test it. :)

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

On 10/29/2017 at 3:22 PM, swiesma said:

Exactly why I returned my Rift. 

Just got my HP VR1000-100 Headset & controllers. The impression & the experience is immersive. I abounded the idea of constructing & investing in a full size home base Cockpit, with VR you really do not need for this. my $$$$ will go to Force feedback Yoke $ Pedals  

However, we all need to be aware that VR is in its infancy and constantly evolving in a fast pace. so some patience is A must,.

I currently struggling with lot of stuttering and blurriness, I'm pretty much sure it is a matter of fine tuning

I do not use the controllers,  I have only limited access to my real (GoFlight) instrument & real (DesktopAviator) G530 GPS, I knew were they fiscally are, so I can sense them with my figures, which is not perfect, but works fine with the C172 & the B58.

Currently no access to my Tablet & ForeFligh.

IMHO,The interesting & the most challenging part of VR is the integration with the Real World, so we can benefit & utilize both 

I'm ready for the VR challenge, will never go or invest in anything else but VR    

Cheers

Bought hp vr at $200.00 and playing fsx with flyside works fine with Nividia card driver version 385.28..  I did try it with FS2 and think it better than fsx, but Xplane best one for it but takes longest to load. 

Just VR headsets 1440p resolution most realistic for my wallet and more resreach towards shaving weight off the vr headsets and get rid of cords as time goes on.  The problem with cords they bend and wear out with head movements with time and some headsets designs like HP has detachable cord and acer does not.

The weight of vr headsets needs to reduced for it to be used for extended period of time as no need give myself pressure headache.  

Its 2018 the technology is still early and improvements like FCC approves wireless recharging is one small step in technology. 

Have two desktop and going to slipt one for FSX and other for European and American truck simulator.

Just took older mobo h61 with i5 3570 and added usb 3.0 for wmr this one going to be Euro Truck machine tested it out works just fine and other machine I7 4790k for fs2 and fsx.

Hello, I am TOTALLY new to all this ,and being very old, am confused . I have some flying experience and am only interested in realistic flight sim (ie no interest in playing games). I would very much appreciate some advice on hardware . I had thought of VR and was going towards spending £3000 -4000 on a PC and Oculus.  I notice the concerns about VR having low resolution and perhaps feeling uncomfortable after a short time, so a large monitor would be a sensible addition . However I am also tempted instead to go for a gaming laptop (Asus Zephyrus?) which has the power to easily cope with VR and would be more socially acceptable at other times  (I could have a quick -non VR -flight at the coffee table while wife watching tv). Obviously this would mean accepting a small screen....is that a compromise too far ?  Any thoughts ?

On 6-2-2018 at 10:56 PM, Old git said:

Hello, I am TOTALLY new to all this

Are you new to flight simming in general or just the VR aspect of it?

If it's the latter than i can tell you it was surprisingly easy to switch from 2D to VR.

If it's the first, well then it's quite impossible to advise. I can imagine it must be quite confusing for a starter today having to make a choice in first simulator. You'll just have to start with something and see how it goes. Rumour has it FlyInside will release its own VR dedicated flightsim soon. Perhaps wait for that release?

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

I use Oculus Rift and I CAN'T fly without it!!!

ROG MAXIMUS X HERO, Intel Core i7 8700K, 32 GB's 3200 RAM, Gigabyte RTX3080,