Jellybaby

New Update

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

does version 7.41 run stable, give correct wind information on the arrival atis and respect airline parking codes when assigning a gate? I didn't achieve this in former versions of vox7 which I is the main reason for me why I still use version 6.52 which I consider the most stable and bug-free version. Thanks for your help.

draci

ATIS winds are hardly ever right and parking codes is a free for all. It runs fairly stable but definitely needs some work done on it to improve some functions. 

Parking codes are determined by the airport bgl file. Commonly, stock airports are completely out of date but even gate assignments at 3rd party airports may not be up to date. Further, many flight sim airports ignore cargo carriers so there are never enough cargo parking spots to service big jets like 747s. Thus, they end up at passenger gates. The only way to check this is with ADE.

What's the issue with VOXATC ATIS winds? Mine match up against the 122.0 ATIS info  provided by ASN. Maybe there's a bug that you've uncovered.

I only fly to payware airports and they have the latest AFCAD available. Example, my FSDT KLAX has all airlines at all gates. United is almost never parked at the right terminal (T7) and there is usually four or five different airlines at Terminal 4, where AA is suppose to be. 

As for the ATIS, it seems to almost always use the departure weather as the destination weather on ATIS, however, when being vectored in, they will give me a different runway assignment (usually the opposite of what is being broadcast). 

One other thing that bothers is me is the runway assignments for departures. It seems the software doesn't take into account multiple runways for departures. It sucks being on the north side of LAX and having to taxi to the south side. The only way to get around this is to ask for 24L instead of 25R. 

I suppose I should ask. What AI traffic package are you using? And what traffic level is set in VOXATC?

I use custom AI I have built over the years, continuing to update as flightplans drop from AIG. I put my traffic level at 60% on VOX.

I have run into some anomalies at certain payware airports. Whenever planes line up on certain runways, they turn either 90 or 180 degrees and then take off. I have default AFCADs from the payware install, and everything works just fine whenever I don't use VOX. I've yet to see any solutions for it also. 

That's what I use also (AIG flight plans and freeware models).

60% traffic levels in VOXATC are extremely high and will "flood" most stock airports. The stock airports are not designed to handle that many aircraft and it will lead to the symptoms that you describe. Try reducing the traffic level to 30 to 40%.

What I have done in addition is to methodically edit my favorite stock airports with ADE, to correct the gate airline codes and provide more gates. It's tedious but no more tedious than using AIG flight plans.

I fly almost exclusively to payware airports though (FSDT, FlightBeam, FlyTampa,) and they already come with correct AFCADs so I shouldn't have to fix it. Whenver I don't run VOX and just run in game AI traffic, everything works just fine. Airlines at correct terminals, multiple runway use, correct taxi so I know it is the software, just don't understand why it doesn't read the AFCADs when placing traffic. I run the indexer after every change I make so I am at a loss honestly. I make do with it because it is great software and brings a sense of reality to desk flying. 

3 hours ago, b757 said:

I fly almost exclusively to payware airports though (FSDT, FlightBeam, FlyTampa,) and they already come with correct AFCADs so I shouldn't have to fix it. Whenver I don't run VOX and just run in game AI traffic, everything works just fine. Airlines at correct terminals, multiple runway use, correct taxi so I know it is the software, just don't understand why it doesn't read the AFCADs when placing traffic. I run the indexer after every change I make so I am at a loss honestly. I make do with it because it is great software and brings a sense of reality to desk flying. 

Let's see if we can figure out what's happening because VOXATC does place the airlines at their correct gates for me. You have Flightbeam KIAD which I also have and it works correctly for me.  I also have a bunch of FB, FDST and FT airports, so we should be able to figure out what's going on. First turn down the VOXATC AI level to 30% and start up a flight at KIAD. I assume that your sim traffic settings are both set at 0%. The reason that I ask is that some people run %GA in the sim at some non-zero percentage because they don't think that VOXATC provides enough GA traffic. I'd also suggest that you download Little NavMap, as it will show you what AI aircraft are parked at each gate and what each gate's airline codes are. It will also show you what scenery  ADE files are installed for a given airport.

I will give this a try and will report back. I will try to get some screens to show the issues if I see them. 

One interesting "aside" regarding many of the AIG flight schedules... all the individual  flight plans within an AIG AI traffic BGL are set by default at a 1% activity level. In P3d, setting the commercial AI activity level slider to any nonzero value from 1 to 100% has the exact same effect.

However, VOXATC doesn't exactly work the same way as P3d since it interprets the AIG files in some mysterious manner, at least with regard to activity levels. That must be why the developer recommends using 30 to 40% activity level in the VOXATC settings.

Does that program edit the AFCADs in any way? I adjusted traffic density to 30 and had that program running and it seemed to at least fix some of the issue. I’m still seeing international airlines like ANA and Etihad at several terminals at IAD but airlines like AA, VX, UA seemed to be parked at the right terminals. I also checked DFW and it seemed to get the airlines correct also. I went to LAX and that was where it seemed to still be having problems. ASA is still parking at the international terminal along with the AA and UA terminals. I’m gonna do more testing, but at least it seems to be heading in the right direction. Now I just need to figure out how to get VOX to incorporate multi runway ops for T/O and landing. Thanks for helping with that. 

Nope. VOXATC doesn't either modify existing or add its own ADE files. Its Indexer parses what's in your scenery library and transfers the information verbatim to the VOXATC database. If there are conflicts either within an airport or among multiple versions of a third party airport, the Indexer gets totally confused. Every time a change is made to the scenery library, the Indexer must be rerun. Some of the time, I forget to do this and then I experience one of those flight sim "very descriptive initials" moments. That's why I use Little NavMap to check what's going on at a specific airport.

1 hour ago, b757 said:

Now I just need to figure out how to get VOX to incorporate multi runway ops for T/O and landing. Thanks for helping with that. 

I assume that AI aircraft at the airports in question do utilize multi-runway ops when using the P3d default ATC. Else, one has to use ADE to make that work at all:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/ade-crosswind-runways.433215/

As you know, the default ATC's ATIS annoyingly announces the use of all the "fake" runways and that's the clue that the "crosswind runway" modification has been made to the ADE file.

I'm trying to remember if I've ever seen the AI use multiple parallel runways both for landing when using VOXATC. I do recall the AI simultaneously using one parallel runway for takeoff and another for landing. 

• Upvote 1

I meant the Little Nav programs in regards to editing the AFCAD, but I assum it doesn’t. 

There have been several instances where I have been on approach and been assigned a different runway because there was another aircraft approach around the same time. I have shot parallel approaches at SFO and IAD, but it is pretty rare, which was why I increased the traffic percent to see if I could get it more often. One place I have yet to figure out what is going on is LAX. I can’t get planes to take off on 24R if they are on the north side. Almost always, they taxi to 25L. Only way I take off a different runways is if I ask the controller. And for DFW, they always taxi out to 35R or 17L so taxi times are like 10 min or more. I figure the only way to change that is to edit the AFCAD, but I don’t know how to do all that. I will just make do with the current setup and hope that future updates fix these minor problems. 

Little NavMap is donationware for creating flight plans in P3d and XP11. It doesn't modify anything in the scenery library.  It also can do real time tracking of your flight. In addition, it can show all the details about an airport. Airport Design Editor (ADE) is freeware and is used to modify ADE files (also referred to as AFCAD files)  that form the basis of P3d airports. ADE has a somewhat steep learning curve, but once one gets the hang of it, it is pretty easy to make changes to an ADE file.