Kuragiman

Proper Way of Requesting a Different runway?

6 posts in this topic

I am a World Traffic user and route designer.   I make Airport Operations files always for my airports.    Quite often, on long flights, by the time I get to the destination the weather has changed and the AI are using the flow profile I programmed file the weather scenario at hand.  This quite often ends up being the opposite runway I  filed with my flight plan.   What is the correct method of requesting a different approach runway?   The way suggested in the SayIt prompt didn't do anything.  The controller just told me to keep descending via the Star but when he handed me over to approach no runway change was given.  They still had me landing opposite way of traffic.    I then tried changing the Approach type and refiling.  While this update the flight plan and the moving map display.. the controller still told me to land on the opposite runway.

Is there a way to get the controller to issue you a different runway that I missed in the manual while on an IFR flight?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

There are 2 ways to address this.

The most straight forward way is to request vectors to the ILS (or other approach type) for runway xx. 

The other way would be to uncheck the Force Pilot Runway Selection option after you take off and then when P2A calculates the Arrival procedure it will ignore what's in your flight plan and give you the runway aligned with the winds.  This obviously would require a possible reprogramming of the FMC mid flight, but is probably the most realistic way to get the Arrival approach assignments.  So for more experienced pilots, this is probably the way to go.

4 hours ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

There are 2 ways to address this.

The most straight forward way is to request vectors to the ILS (or other approach type) for runway xx. 

The other way would be to uncheck the Force Pilot Runway Selection option after you take off and then when P2A calculates the Arrival procedure it will ignore what's in your flight plan and give you the runway aligned with the winds.  This obviously would require a possible reprogramming of the FMC mid flight, but is probably the most realistic way to get the Arrival approach assignments.  So for more experienced pilots, this is probably the way to go.

Hi Dave,

P2A is always filling the arrival runway and approach on the flight plan when I click "file" (I dunno why). Even with it doing that, if I uncheck the Force Pilot runway after take off it will give another runway if the wind changed?

You can uncheck Auto Load Recommended Procedures and the Flight Plan will not be filled in.  However, you will need to update the flight plan when the procedures are assigned if you want the moving map to contain the correct route to fly. 

For most users, leaving that option checked is a good idea to simplify the flight.

If Force Pilot Runway Selection is not checked, then before giving the expected approach information nearing the Arrival airport, a new look at recommended procedures is done and the runway might change.  Once that is done, the arrival procedures and runway are "locked".

Yeah.   That seems the way to go.  That is the realistic way.   I have no problem changing the FMC in mid flight.  Its what they do.  I'll give it a shot on my next flight.