Recommended Posts

Hey guys! It’s been a while since I’ve been on avsim! 

I recently purchased the Oculus Rift while it was on sale for Black Friday. One of the first things I did was run X-plane 11 with the flyinside demo. I was very impressed with how it all felt/looked. Except everything was noticeably more blurry than other native VR programs. I was a bit disappointed with the FPS I was getting too, however I am running a MSI Gtx 970sc so I can’t complain too much. I did some research and found out that the guys over at laminar are planning on bringing Native VR to X-plane after the 11.10 release. Also they said they were working on switching to the Vulcan API, which is very exciting for us summers that are struggling with low FPS. I haven’t really seen much info on where they are at with either of these things. Does anyone know when or if they will bring the native VR before the end of the year? There are only a few more weeks of 2017 so hopefully they will make it a Christmas present for us!  

Cpu: Intel Core i7 4770k haswell (quad core)  

Thanks for reading! Hopefully someone has some info because I want to get flyinside, but I don’t want to purchase it then have X-plane come out with native vr!  Good things come to those who wait😬

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

So a couple things I have noticed, with P3dv4 native VR vs FlyInside. First thing is the native VR is way more perfomance taxing in P3dv4 than FlyInside which if this is any indication of how X-plane would be it would be good to purchase FlyInside. That being said, my experience with X-plane is that when they roll out something it generally is pretty optimized. Word on the street is it may be released by Christmas, so if you can wait another couple weeks than do it. But FlyInside is a great program and has taken over my flight sim experience in both P3dv4 and X-plane. I just uninstalled P3dv4 because X-plane vr is second to non due to performance and flight dynamics in VR feels like the real thing to me! But everyone’s interpretation of flight is different and unique to the person. 

 

Happy flying.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I too am waiting and have heard that it could be before christmas.  A bit like waiting for my xplane 10 disks to arrive just in time for christmas, hard to believe that was 5 or more years ago!

 

   I am finding flyinside really good but I hope xplane can polish a couple things about it.  One thing I would like is for in game throttles to be able to be 'grabbed' with closing your hand rather than hovering a finger over it until it becomes sticky.

 

    It sounds like they have someone that is enthusiastic about VR and from that can come something good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JasonHarris said:

I too am waiting and have heard that it could be before christmas.  A bit like waiting for my xplane 10 disks to arrive just in time for christmas, hard to believe that was 5 or more years ago!

 

   I am finding flyinside really good but I hope xplane can polish a couple things about it.  One thing I would like is for in game throttles to be able to be 'grabbed' with closing your hand rather than hovering a finger over it until it becomes sticky.

 

    It sounds like they have someone that is enthusiastic about VR and from that can come something good.

 

See I don’t use my touches because while sitting at my desk I can’t see, to get the sensors placed in an area that the touches aren’t blocked by the desk when I lower my hands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, mrchrsrider said:

 

See I don’t use my touches because while sitting at my desk I can’t see, to get the sensors placed in an area that the touches aren’t blocked by the desk when I lower my hands.

Ah yes, good point.  It's easy to not think how other people do stuff when you do things another way :)

    I sit in a seat with s stick center mounted and throttle to the left and nothing around me so I can wave my hands all over the place and not touch anything.   I have found the controllers pretty sueful for things I dont have mapped or is easier to use with the controllers.    E.g. I dont fly heavies much so find using the aircraft throttle with controllers will be much easier than trying to map the funcitons to my TH throttle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found a video from a presentation at FS weekend 2017.  They basically said everything you guys just wrote! Hopefully they deliver because I can’t wait. 

 

skip to 52:23

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, JasonHarris said:

I too am waiting and have heard that it could be before christmas.  A bit like waiting for my xplane 10 disks to arrive just in time for christmas, hard to believe that was 5 or more years ago!

 

   I am finding flyinside really good but I hope xplane can polish a couple things about it.  One thing I would like is for in game throttles to be able to be 'grabbed' with closing your hand rather than hovering a finger over it until it becomes sticky.

 

    It sounds like they have someone that is enthusiastic about VR and from that can come something good.

Hi Jason,

Using the Just Flight Arrow III I can close my fist around the throttle and pull or push it. I can also grasp the flap lever and pull it up. If I just use a pointer finger I get the arc to but I can grasp and pull too. takes a bit of practice. I am using the 1.9 update of FlyInside. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, mrchrsrider said:

 

See I don’t use my touches because while sitting at my desk I can’t see, to get the sensors placed in an area that the touches aren’t blocked by the desk when I lower my hands.

Try putting at least one of your sensors,(cameras), up high above your desk. I have mine on a high shelve and then tilted down, that way if my hands go low, the touch controllers are still seen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, wb5okj said:

Try putting at least one of your sensors,(cameras), up high above your desk. I have mine on a high shelve and then tilted down, that way if my hands go low, the touch controllers are still seen. 

 

Oh this is a good idea. How high up have you noticed the desk doesn’t interfere with the controller? Thanks for the suggestion 

 

On 12/9/2017 at 3:42 AM, JasonHarris said:

Ah yes, good point.  It's easy to not think how other people do stuff when you do things another way :)

    I sit in a seat with s stick center mounted and throttle to the left and nothing around me so I can wave my hands all over the place and not touch anything.   I have found the controllers pretty sueful for things I dont have mapped or is easier to use with the controllers.    E.g. I dont fly heavies much so find using the aircraft throttle with controllers will be much easier than trying to map the funcitons to my TH throttle.

 

Thats the best part about flight sim and aviation in general is everyone has their personal style and it all works because flying is so subjective. And it’s fun to see how other pilots adjust their flying space. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, wb5okj said:

Hi Jason,

Using the Just Flight Arrow III I can close my fist around the throttle and pull or push it. I can also grasp the flap lever and pull it up. If I just use a pointer finger I get the arc to but I can grasp and pull too. takes a bit of practice. I am using the 1.9 update of FlyInside. 

Thanks for that, I see it's a recent update so will install and take a look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

Watching videos about VR without VR is....  argh!  

 

lol

Yes there is absolutely no way to get the VR experience other than having VR,I really don't get the posting in VR on YouTube, or one thing moving your head around looks good in VR and is great, but seeing it on a 2 dimensional, flat screen does no good. Of course I watch anyway and thanks to all of them that do it, I just wish they would put the flights up with a regular recording, if that makes any sense. :biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this