Sign in to follow this  
Chowonwoo

Half standard rate turn???

Hello.

I learned about standard rate turn. But there is another thing I don't know- Half standard rate turn.

I have Question about half standard rate turn. 

We use half standard rate turn for maintain centerline on the runway?

Fast answer please!

I'm not sure what you're asking.

If you are flying on final approach you use whatever inputs you need to maintain the centreline.

Half standard rate turns are usually used for manoeuvring (ie holding, procedure turns, timed turns (no gyro) by faster aircraft where a full rate 1 turn would require an excessive bank angle.

But again, on final approach - just fly the aeroplane.

I believe half standard rate turns are used on final during a GCA or Surveillance  Approach .

Vic green

8 minutes ago, PATCO LCH said:

I believe half standard rate turns are used on final during a GCA or Surveillance  Approach .

Winner Winner ..Chicken Dinner!

Sheldon "Bill" Williams

2 hours ago, PATCO LCH said:

No gyro GCA.  It's been a while. :smile:

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

3 hours ago, Bluestar said:

No gyro GCA.  It's been a while. :smile:

blaustern

Naw, just three and a half decades.

Vic green

14 hours ago, PATCO LCH said:

Naw, just three and a half decades.

Along with timed a approach from a hold, DF steers from a FSS (when a FSS was located about every where) and the occasional request from an approach control asking if you could accept an ASR approach for controller training. Any PPL I trained did a DF steer and all instrument students did a least one ASR approach partial panel. My one and only timed approach from a hold for the ILS at KLAN in the non radar days and I was in the stack with brand new rating. Maybe out dated but they all got you where you needed to be.

Gary Stewart