Sign in to follow this  
mog

DM BAC 1-11

3 hours ago, charliearon said:

Here comes the "dumb" question....does sound= in the aircraft.cfg say the name of the sound folder?

I renamed that downloaded engine sound+APU sound folder to just plain SOUND.

"Sound=" -> FSX looks for the sound.cfg in [Aircraft folder]\sound

"Sound=abc" -> FSX looks for the sound.cfg in [Aircraft folder]\sound.abc

If [Aircraft folder]\sound\sound.cfg contains

[fltsim]
alias=DMFS Shared Files\BAC 1-11 Sound + APU

"DMFS Shared Files\BAC 1-11 Sound + APU" is the next place where FSX will look for a sound.cfg. If that sound.cfg contains the proper data, FSX will use it to play engine sounds.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

OK First charliearon, the not so dumb question, sound=   says just that in both Aircraft .cfg files, I tried renaming the DMFS folder BAC 1-11 Sound + APU to just sound but it made no difference, I also altered the sound folders in both A/C sound folders to match, i.e. alias=DMFS Shared Files\sound, but that didn't work either.

Right, volviberista, both the BAC 1-11 500 folder and the BAC 1-11 500 hush-kits folder both have sound folders which have a sound.cfg inside with the legend that you quoted and the main sound file is in DMFS Shared Files marked BAC 1-11 Sound + APU, there is a .cfg file and 16 sounds there.

Thanks for the input guys,

mog

Hi Bjoern,

Yes all that is true, all those files are in place as you outlined but for some reason FSX can't see the BAC 1-11 Sound + APU folder, it can see the other two, Documentation and VC, although having said that there are a couple of icons on the shift\7 which don't seem to do anything, the picture of an aircraft and the one next to it which looks like a speaker, but they are not important at the moment.

mog

OK All,

It's WORKING!!!!!, I bit the bullet and did the upgrade and it now works, of course this has generated a couple of new questions, ( Oh God! I hear you mutter!) one is what do the two icons immediately to the right of the CS icon do? and this may be semantics but surely the Isolation valve has to be open for air to work, it's a long time since I worked on these beasts but I thought the flow was ... engine - Isolation Valve - PRSOV - system, or am I wrong?

Any which way my thanks to all of you for your patience, and your advice, it doesn't matter what anyone says the most responsive place in the FS world for advice is this website.

many thanks

mog

Glad you got it working.  It really is a fun plane to fly.  I'm old school, analog man.  Love the older stuff!

David Norman Paul

4 hours ago, mog said:

I bit the bullet and did the upgrade and it now works, of course this has generated a couple of new questions, ( Oh God! I hear you mutter!) one is what do the two icons immediately to the right of the CS icon do? and this may be semantics but surely the Isolation valve has to be open for air to work, it's a long time since I worked on these beasts but I thought the flow was ... engine - Isolation Valve - PRSOV - system, or am I wrong?

For the icons, check DM's original documentation.

Systems accuracy depends on available information and if there isn't any, the author will make assumptions.

Just one more question, in the upgrade there are three sound .cfg files, one marked original ( which is the one I have used) and two others from Benoit Plamandon, where or rather how are these installed?, I assume they instead of the original, do I put both in the sound folder?

The 1-11 was the first fixed wing A/C I worked on in any depth, first for BCal then for Dan Air, nobody who heard the beast start would ever forget the howl of the Rootes Blower, you could here it for miles!

mog

Thanks Bjoern, I'll give them a go.

Great video, I expect those people running away claimed for loss of hearing later in life, none of them are wearing ear defenders silly buggers!

It was a powerful old beast, they used the Spey in the UK version of the Phantom and I believe had to modify the intake because it was too powerful for the basic design, I did a ground run on one 1-11 when i was at Dans, and unnoticed by me the brake pressure decayed, and in spite of being on the detuner with large chocks set in the ground when we went to max chat on both, the bloody thing leapt the chocks, luckily I managed to stop before we hit the hangar! there were skid marks right across the pan, but not as big as the ones in my pants!

mog 

• Upvote 1

What I find most amazing about the 1-11 is that they could have stayed in service beyond 2002 if it hadn't been for the new noise regulations.

Anyway, I might be motivated enough to fix the isolation valve thingy. Anything else (minor!) that needsd a realism bump?

22 hours ago, Bjoern said:

What I find most amazing about the 1-11 is that they could have stayed in service beyond 2002 if it hadn't been for the new noise regulations.

As could the VC10's which were actually noisier than Concorde on the take-off run!!!

There was a Stage III hush kit developed that would've allowed them to remain in service after 2003 (they were already hushkitted for Stage II) but I think the costs were prohibitive. There were also proposals to re-engine them with Tays (from the Fokker 100) on the table but no one took it up.

As it happens the 1-11 stayed in service until 2012 with ETPS as they are military and thus exempt from noise regulations, much like the VC10 was during it's RAF transport and tanker career. Northrop Grumman had a couple of 1-11s as flying test beds and these may still be wirthworthy.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Ok All,

It is working But!  I seem to have lost the Nav. lights? and the wing lights ?, and, when viewed from the rear outside, if the ailerons are moved left and right  the spoilers don't seem to raise and lower they just flicker as do the ailerons?

Any ideas?

mog

Hi again Bjoern,

Both engines running hyds. on.

If I remove the modified one that worked (see previous) and install the original one that didn't, I get nav. lights, of course I'm back to square one with nothing else working! Reinstalling the modified one gets everything working again minus lights, odd I seem to have nose/ turn off and landing lights but no nav wing or U/C bay lights.

mog