mog

DM BAC 1-11

Hi All,

I have recently downloaded onto FSX David Maltby's excellent BAC 1-11, the only problem is it only partially works. I get the A/C at the airport of my choice but there are no sounds, ok not quite true I get the U/C warning beep, but precious little else. I have reinstalled it twice now, following the guide on DM's website but to no avail. The Daft thing is I also downloaded it to my copy of FS9 and it all seems to be ok there. I'm running this on win7.

Any ideas people?

mog 

• Upvote 1

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Thought that was FS2004 only? Could be wrong though.

Not specifically related to the DM 1-11, but on the subject of an FSX BAC 1-11, it's worth noting that the FSX/P3D Just Flight BAC 1-11 is about to get its long-awaited revised and tweaked FDE patch (supposedly in about a week or so according to a post on the JF forums yesterday), so if you were holding off on getting that one because of the slightly iffy handling of the 500 variant, then the issue may be about to be resolved.

I don't recall where I found it, but there is an FSX patch for the DM 111 that makes it work flawlessly and even better then the Justflight version.

Patch is by Bjoern Kesten, available here

I really like Dave Maltby's models, particularly his Trident.  Pity his VC-10 never got a virtual cockpit.

It will work fine in FSX even without Bjoern's awesome mods package.   There are some things that need to be edited because the folder structure is different between FSX/FS9.   Can't remember exactly what, but I'm pretty sure the sounds problem requires an edit to the  DM_1-11_sound file in the panel folder. 

6 hours ago, lzamm said:

Patch is by Bjoern Kesten, available here

I really like Dave Maltby's models, particularly his Trident.  Pity his VC-10 never got a virtual cockpit.

The Trident is one of my favorites, too.   I was lucky to get to fly on the real thing when I was a child.  It was the aircraft you usually got on the "shuttle" between EGLL and EGPF.  I even flew as an unaccompanied minor on the Trident when I was 10 years old!

**EDIT**  Haha, I just remembered that we talked about all this in PMs a few years ago!

Note that the FSX update requires an installation of the FS2004 1-11 aircraft packages to work. You won't need all packs, just the base pack for the sounds and whatever aircraft pack you want/need for the textures.

OK Gents thanks very much, I have downloaded the update but until I can get the basic A/C working in FSX I was Hanging back. I've done all the tweaks suggested in DM's website to the sound folders etc. but still no luck, there was a suggestion that each Texture folder should have a texture.cfg. file in it so I created one matching the one I found on CBFS.com but that didn't work either. It's most odd all the textures are there but the thing won't work, the apu won't start, and there are no outside sounds either, it must be something to do with the sound files but I'm hanged if I can find it.

mog

I downloaded and installed this aircraft.  The apu starts and runs sounding like a jet engine. Sounds good both inside and outside the aircraft.

2 hours ago, charliearon said:

The apu starts and runs sounding like a jet engine.

That's because it's defined as a (third) jet engine in the FS9 release.

Well clearly I'm doing something wrong, I appear to have the sounds working that are in the sound folders of the Panel VC folder, but none of the sounds in the BAC 1-11 Sound + APU folder, yet the VC cockpit works fine! as do all the external views, so the problem seems to be with the connection between the A/C folders and the BAC 1-11 Sound + APU folder in DMFS, I've tried rewriting the link in the sound folders of the A/C folders to read the full address, SimObjects\Airplanes\DMFS Shared files\BAC 1-11 Sound + APU, but that didn't work either, I'm already going bald and tearing my hair out over this isn't helping!!

mog

Here comes the "dumb" question....does sound= in the aircraft.cfg say the name of the sound folder?

I renamed that downloaded engine sound+APU sound folder to just plain SOUND.

In the main aircraft folder you should have sound.cfg which contains this entry

[fltsim]
alias=DMFS Shared Files\BAC 1-11 Sound + APU

And that should be where the "working" sound.cfg file will be.

3 hours ago, charliearon said:

Here comes the "dumb" question....does sound= in the aircraft.cfg say the name of the sound folder?

I renamed that downloaded engine sound+APU sound folder to just plain SOUND.

"Sound=" -> FSX looks for the sound.cfg in [Aircraft folder]\sound

"Sound=abc" -> FSX looks for the sound.cfg in [Aircraft folder]\sound.abc

If [Aircraft folder]\sound\sound.cfg contains

[fltsim]
alias=DMFS Shared Files\BAC 1-11 Sound + APU

"DMFS Shared Files\BAC 1-11 Sound + APU" is the next place where FSX will look for a sound.cfg. If that sound.cfg contains the proper data, FSX will use it to play engine sounds.

OK First charliearon, the not so dumb question, sound=   says just that in both Aircraft .cfg files, I tried renaming the DMFS folder BAC 1-11 Sound + APU to just sound but it made no difference, I also altered the sound folders in both A/C sound folders to match, i.e. alias=DMFS Shared Files\sound, but that didn't work either.

Right, volviberista, both the BAC 1-11 500 folder and the BAC 1-11 500 hush-kits folder both have sound folders which have a sound.cfg inside with the legend that you quoted and the main sound file is in DMFS Shared Files marked BAC 1-11 Sound + APU, there is a .cfg file and 16 sounds there.

Thanks for the input guys,

mog

Hi Bjoern,

Yes all that is true, all those files are in place as you outlined but for some reason FSX can't see the BAC 1-11 Sound + APU folder, it can see the other two, Documentation and VC, although having said that there are a couple of icons on the shift\7 which don't seem to do anything, the picture of an aircraft and the one next to it which looks like a speaker, but they are not important at the moment.

mog

OK All,

It's WORKING!!!!!, I bit the bullet and did the upgrade and it now works, of course this has generated a couple of new questions, ( Oh God! I hear you mutter!) one is what do the two icons immediately to the right of the CS icon do? and this may be semantics but surely the Isolation valve has to be open for air to work, it's a long time since I worked on these beasts but I thought the flow was ... engine - Isolation Valve - PRSOV - system, or am I wrong?

Any which way my thanks to all of you for your patience, and your advice, it doesn't matter what anyone says the most responsive place in the FS world for advice is this website.

many thanks

mog

Glad you got it working.  It really is a fun plane to fly.  I'm old school, analog man.  Love the older stuff!

4 hours ago, mog said:

I bit the bullet and did the upgrade and it now works, of course this has generated a couple of new questions, ( Oh God! I hear you mutter!) one is what do the two icons immediately to the right of the CS icon do? and this may be semantics but surely the Isolation valve has to be open for air to work, it's a long time since I worked on these beasts but I thought the flow was ... engine - Isolation Valve - PRSOV - system, or am I wrong?

For the icons, check DM's original documentation.

Systems accuracy depends on available information and if there isn't any, the author will make assumptions.

Just one more question, in the upgrade there are three sound .cfg files, one marked original ( which is the one I have used) and two others from Benoit Plamandon, where or rather how are these installed?, I assume they instead of the original, do I put both in the sound folder?

The 1-11 was the first fixed wing A/C I worked on in any depth, first for BCal then for Dan Air, nobody who heard the beast start would ever forget the howl of the Rootes Blower, you could here it for miles!

mog

Thanks Bjoern, I'll give them a go.

Great video, I expect those people running away claimed for loss of hearing later in life, none of them are wearing ear defenders silly buggers!

It was a powerful old beast, they used the Spey in the UK version of the Phantom and I believe had to modify the intake because it was too powerful for the basic design, I did a ground run on one 1-11 when i was at Dans, and unnoticed by me the brake pressure decayed, and in spite of being on the detuner with large chocks set in the ground when we went to max chat on both, the bloody thing leapt the chocks, luckily I managed to stop before we hit the hangar! there were skid marks right across the pan, but not as big as the ones in my pants!

mog 

• Upvote 1

What I find most amazing about the 1-11 is that they could have stayed in service beyond 2002 if it hadn't been for the new noise regulations.

Anyway, I might be motivated enough to fix the isolation valve thingy. Anything else (minor!) that needsd a realism bump?