Sign in to follow this  
PaulGR

So I pretty much reached the peak of FSX performance

DX10 fixer, DX10 cloud shadows, Traffic (WOAI) at 70 (it gets adjusted by traffic manager to keep no more than 30 planes at the airport), rex texture direct + soft clouds, ORBX Global / Vector, AS16, FSFX packages.
Texture settings are balanced nicely and I'm ok with how things look. 8X AA settings in Fixer and Inspector.

PMDG 777 I get about 25-30 FPS in VC during landing no matter what time of the day/weather and 50 up exterior. VAS is under control, no more weird stuff going on. Just works. Well almost. Ccntrails. They kill my performance so bad it's not even funny. Worst case of it all I like to have contrails lol.

No matter what I try they simply don't want to comply.

Is P3D V4 my only option here? I got a 1080 arriving sometime next week and I'm thinking that maybe it is time. I will only buy 777 for it and wait for the QW to be released. Love those birds. ORBX is cross platform so birds and AS16 would have to be repurchased. 

Unless some of you have some magic trick up their sleeve to get contrails to work.

I'm running 4790K @ 4.7, GTX 970, 32RAM all SSD.

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

Just for clarification - PMDG T7 contrails or contrails in general? Not that i can help, just curious.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

1 hour ago, HighBypass said:

Just for clarification - PMDG T7 contrails or contrails in general? Not that i can help, just curious.

In general.
The only ones that I like how they look are the old REX contrails. But even with the the 777 Immersion FPS gets killed.

• Upvote 1

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

14 hours ago, PaulGR said:

PMDG 777 I get about 25-30 FPS in VC during landing no matter what time of the day/weather and 50 up exterior. VAS is under control, no more weird stuff going on. Just works. Well almost. Ccntrails. They kill my performance so bad it's not even funny. Worst case of it all I like to have contrails lol.

25 - 30 FPS is very good, What is your frame rate set to 60?  I tend to see drops when taken or landing from airports especially at city's where you see so much details around you

3 hours ago, EmpireKicking said:

25 - 30 FPS is very good, What is your frame rate set to 60?  I tend to see drops when taken or landing from airports especially at city's where you see so much details around you

Unlimited.
After a lot of tests it works best for me.

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

18 hours ago, PaulGR said:

I got a 1080 arriving sometime next week and I'm thinking that maybe it is time.

Unless you're currently GPU-bound, the 1080 won't give you a significant performance increase. However, it will allow you to use much higher levels of anti-aliasing which will make the image look better. What screen resolution are you using?

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

1 minute ago, vortex681 said:

Unless you're currently GPU-bound, the 1080 won't give you a significant performance increase. However, it will allow you to use much higher levels of anti-aliasing which will make the image look better. What screen resolution are you using?

1080 but moving to 1440 soon.

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

Just now, PaulGR said:

1080 but moving to 1440 soon.

The GTX 1080 is unlikely to make any difference at 1080p. It may make a small difference at 1440 but don't expect miracles - I also went from a 970 to a 1080 at 2560x1440. As I said in my last post, it all depends on whether or not you're GPU-bound.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

7 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

The GTX 1080 is unlikely to make any difference at 1080p. It may make a small difference at 1440 but don't expect miracles - I also went from a 970 to a 1080 at 2560x1440. As I said in my last post, it all depends on whether or not you're GPU-bound.

Time to start researching P3D I guess.
Thx.

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

Just now, PaulGR said:

Time to start researching P3D I guess.

Although it makes better use of the GPU, P3D is still pretty much CPU dependent and, like FSX, relies on good single-core performance. If you're not getting OOM errors, with your current add-ons there's not a massive amount to gain by going to P3D. It's worth noting that P3D will hit your pockets fairly hard, particularly as you'll need to replace your PMDG aircraft with compatible versions.

• Upvote 4

Well I found a solution 
I lowered clouds to 512 (not the best but I'll live), excluded particle conversion in Steve's fixer and now I can run 180 second contrails without performance loss. FSX still lives :)
I do have a problem with lights if anybody know a solution... Basically NO AI lights visible. They only appear few feet before planes are landing and beacon nowhere to be seen.

jryi6cm.jpg

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

You will not gain much with a bigger graphic card with FSX/FSX:SE. I went from a 960 GTX 2Gb to a 1060 GTX 6Gb because of X-Plane. And when I tried FSX:SE I did not see any
change in performance. Only thing was that I could turn up things in nvidia inspector. No more FPS.

It is CPU bound. If you thinking of changing plattform check out X-plane, there you gain hot graphic cards.
I did it on a boring weekend and I'm stuck with it now. First of all no other flightsim today can beat it's aerodynamics. As close to reality as possible. Just surf around and check videos and forums about it. If you know about the famous youtube star Captain K he have moved to X-Plane because it is outstanding as he says. I did not like the versions before 11, the scenery looked crazy but now from ver 11 it is based on Openstreet maps and the default is very good. Lots of freeware scenery/airports and many have very high quality. Almost level with payware and you can create airports like that yourself for free. Or fix some. It is also developed whole time, adding more stuff whole time. One of the latest things in aerodynamics is Downforce over wings.

One of first things I bought was IXEG 737 Classic(300) and it is at PMDG level and quality. But because of the superb aerodynamics it took me a lot of practice to fly the approach by hand
and do a nice flare. I just did not work to handle the plane as I did with PMDG 737, especially the flare. You are really flying. It is a true 64 bit using the GPU for the graphic work. And a lot of
things are totally dynamic, eg. change time of day minute by minute or hour by hour with a button in middle of the flight, cool. Night lightning is just WOW, check it.

Give it a try. There is a free demo version, limited area. And if you buy it just enter the code to activate it.
I have long time ago put P3D aside. It is just FSX with another name and far to expensive.

I have no relationship to Laminar and X-Plane, I just happen to love it and think that it is the next generation of flightsim. Still have some minor flaws but are getting better whole time, only
month between upgrades.

Per W Sweden

Interesting, so you have reached nirvana with FSX but are willing to trade it all in because f contrails, ha!

I think there is a 3rd-party program that offers contrails... maybe better on FPS?

I recall years back when FSX was released claims were made it would take a CPU running at 5GHz. to achieve decent results.  So we now have that capability.  Can anyone claim they can max out with 5GHz?  :biggrin:

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

56 minutes ago, Clutch Cargo said:

Interesting, so you have reached nirvana with FSX but are willing to trade it all in because f contrails, ha!

I think there is a 3rd-party program that offers contrails... maybe better on FPS?

I recall years back when FSX was released claims were made it would take a CPU running at 5GHz. to achieve decent results.  So we now have that capability.  Can anyone claim they can max out with 5GHz?  :biggrin:

I already fixed that.
All I had to do is exclude particle effects in Steve's fixer and voila. Now I have 3 minute long contrails galore without performance drop :)
One of the reasons I bought the 747 V3 yesterday while awaiting the -8. Not switching :)

hBGuPrK.jpg

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png