Sign in to follow this  
FlightSimEd

What resources do you use to pass FAA tests? Who offers the best training?

Wondering what company (or companies) do you think has the best resources for training to pass FAA tests? Why?

• Upvote 1

When I was studying for my PPL exam (written, oral and flight) I kept things simple and instead of going with a formal test prep course (i.e. King or Sportys), I just used the following books to study for them (these are in addition to the FAA's Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge and Airplane Flying Handbook that I read throughout my instruction):

- Gleim Private Pilot FAA Knowledge Test (book that included all known FAA questions at the time)

- Private Oral Exam Guide (by Michael D Hayes)

- Private Pilot For Airplane Single-Engine Land and Sea Practical Test Standards

In addition, I got myself a copy of Rod Machado's Private Pilot Handbook, which covered the same material as the FAA's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, but was less dry, and seemed to delve a little deeper into the subject matter than the official FAA handbook.

If you're a good book-learner, this should be about all you need (assuming you're talking about a private pilot license), although I have heard both the King and Sportys courses are good as well.

Hope this helps,

Jeff

• Upvote 2

Sheppard air hands down.

Why?

Because you get super high scores with them and if you get less than a 90, you get your money back.

• Upvote 1

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

Before the knowledge questions were made public many years ago we just studied with the FAA publications, FAR's, AIM. Everything you need to know was there.The testing areas were located in the local GADO (FSDO) office with glass walls and usually an inspector occasionally observing the testing area. My how things have changed, you walked in with pencil, paper, E6B, a plotter and what was between your ears.

• Upvote 2

Gary Stewart

I get using test prep packages, but I think too many folks use them as a crutch.  By that I mean they help you pass the test but they typically don't really help you understand the material.  If you understand the material the tests are easy.  So my advice, focus on getting the most out of ground school whatever instructional format you choose.

• Upvote 1

Hi Folks,

Using whatever canned package seems to work well - Sporty's, Gleim, or King - pick your poison... When I was doing well on my exams there - finished up with a three day course at American Flyers - as a final review - since I had to travel a bit - gave me three days in a hotel without distractions to study for the exam as well... You have the option to take the test on Sunday with them before your leave - worked great for me... LOL -  it was funny or scary - when in class with other students you realize just how little most of them know...

Regards,

Scott 

• Upvote 2

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

For simply passing the test: Shepard Air.. hands down.

For actually learning the material: It comes down to your personal learning style. I've had students have success with King, Sporty's, Gleim and Jepp. Have also had students who weren't self-learners and needed the traditional "ground school".

I'd recommend sampling some of the bigger name products out there before going all in with one of their packages (they're quite an investment).

• Upvote 1

7900X OC @ 4.8GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X299 Professional | 2 x EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (SLI) | 32GB G.Skill DDR4 2800

9 hours ago, CW46 said:

Before the knowledge questions were made public many years ago we just studied with the FAA publications, FAR's, AIM. Everything you need to know was there.The testing areas were located in the local GADO (FSDO) office with glass walls and usually an inspector occasionally observing the testing area. My how things have changed, you walked in with pencil, paper, E6B, a plotter and what was between your ears.

It's much more efficient now...

• Upvote 1

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

This is all very helpful. Thank you to those who responded so far. Always looking for additional insight as well. :-)

If you are flying Part 61 and doing your own ground school, King School hands down. The online videos are kept up to date and you can always go back to watch them over and over if needed, and to refresh anytime after you receive your rating. Part 141 Shepard Air. hope this helps.