Sign in to follow this  
Guest MattNW

holy addon $$ purchases!

I was curious how much I've roughly spent on add-ons for FS2004. Here's the ugly tally:Aeroworx B200 King Air $29.95 Eaglesoft Cit II $19.99 Dream Fleet C177 $22.95 Dreamfleet C727 $34.95 DreamFleet A36 $26.95 FS Water $19.99 LDS 767 $40.00 Meridian $30.00 US Roads $30.00 Ultimate Terrain $34.95 BEV $48.00 RXP 430 $30.00 RXP 530 $30.00 FSD Seneca $25.00 PIC A320 $30.00 PSS A320 $23.00 PMDG 737/600/700/800/900 $70.00 Real Air Spit $32.99 Real Air Scout $30.00 Real Air Decathalon $30.00 Real Air SF260 $40.00 FS Genesis $40.00 FlyTampa San Diego $21.50 Emma Field $30.00 Active Sky $37.99 TOTAL $808.21 What a disgrace! I could have done a serious upgrade for that amount of money! Out of all of those I only use at most 2 or 3 of the planes - I won't say which ones for fear of a flame war. Per hours of usage, my best investments have been the mesh and landclass, and lately ActiveSky.Oh well, for FSX, I'll try to put a lid on the addon spending. Good luck, right? What with the PMDG enhancements on the way as well as lord knows what else...Sorry, had to vent ;-0

Guest United

Craig, Craig, Craig......here's more Kool-Aid, just drink and all will be fine ! LOL ..... I've put sooooooo much $$$ into Addon's, I think I might have been able to lease a Level-D Simulator for 6 months.....OK, maybe that's an exaggeration, but it feels like that doesn't it ! I love Addon's and with a few exceptions, I am addicted to most of software companies turning out addons to my precious hobby ! ........now, you'll excuse me while I go drink more KoolAidRandy Jura, KPDX

From a fellow addon junkie, you didn't mention two monitors, new chair, trackr4, CH stuff, prescription computer glasses (this is a godsend, but $150 I have spent), speakers ($450) special desk and wiring, new keyboard and mouse, printer(s), and who knows whatelse.......could have spent on booze and women like in earlier years, but I don't wake up with a headache or (?), so I think it is a bargain, but you are all correct, this can be an enjoyable rathole if you let it!! B42L8

Ah, funny thread... gives me a good chuckle. But look at it this way guys, you're the reason this hobby keeps advancing - pushing the envelope. So keep BUYING! Ha!:D

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

engravity fms...1500. should i mention the other 30-40 addons?

I think I roughly spent about $3000 (1 year time ago from now) on all addons + computer hardware, including making my PC silent (watercooling). Sheesh... I hope MY girlfriend is not reading!

Guest jboweruk

I stopped counting when I hit the

This is a really interesting thread............For myself, there is no better advertising than reading Simmers' reports on Avsim. Reading the post's is the reason I have bought add-ons, purely and simply, most have tempted me into submission and out as popped the credit card for buying because I have been stongly influenced by a great posting.I even bought all the aircraft depicted in 'Jeff Greth's' video's because of the way he displayed them.Problem is as the thread starter has stated, we in wanting the latest excellent payware tend to not get long enough to get into previous simulations because the quality of new add-ons is so good and wanting them. I wonder if anyone else has this opinion?We all live in this fantastic interesting and absorbing hobby where the benchmark is moving forward in leaps and bounds. I am grateful to all software suppliers of flightsims for making this possible.Dave T. .........On the Devon Riviera and active 'FlightSim User's Group' member at http://www.flightsimgrpuk.free-online.co.uk/http://www.captainsim.com/user/dl/c130/c130_captain.gifhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest Dakota

That's why started my Flightsim budget where I only spend certain amount each month on add-ons. That way I won't break the bank with all the great stuff out there. It makes it so now I just choose the best ones that I really want and I can save more for my future comptuer. Course, I wonder how many add-ons I will be able to carry over to FSX and hope I don't have to break the bank again.

I refuse to add up my add-on purchases. But I agree that dollar for dollar - broad area items like mesh, landclass, textures and key utilities are the best investment.The biggest mistake I make - and I'm sure a lot of you also make the same mistake - is buying a product when it comes out."Oh, this is the greatest scenery ever!!!!! You've got to buy it today.""The most realistic airplane every in Flight Sim!!!"etc...I've got about a dozen airport sceneries - and seldom fly to those - maybe once a month, or once every two months.I TRY to curb my enthusiasm. I also TRY to wait and buy CD's only - avoiding the temptation to buy a download the day it comes out is a great money saver.Do I really, really need that airplane? I've got a hanger full of others which would take me a couple days to relearn to fly efficiently and effectively.However my biggest investment in FS is MY TIME. By any conservative estimate - I've got $20,000 worth of time invested in just my AI traffic - but it's nice.That said of my three main hobby interests - Flight Simulator is by far the CHEAPEST.My model railroad certainly has two to three times the amount of money as FS - I quit counting there after $20,000.My other desire - I don't have one yet - is a dirt track outlaw late model race car - those start at about $15,000 for a rolling chassis and motors run $25,000 and up.Keeping my wife aware of those numbers helps justify my relatively low cost hobby of Flight Simulator.

Craig,Why did you have to go do that? :(Now, I have seen it.. that figure is going to stick in my head for ever..I had something like .."$100-$200" etched in my head for addons. Now, my denial is blown to smithereens.LOL :)Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

It's kinda short list. You are missing out a lot of good stuff! :)I guess if it's done over the time it's not too bad. Try adding up the money spent on pizzas and movies in the past 5 years and see how much that comes to.Happy simming!Jason

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

I've spent around that much, but some of those addons are old. That isn't one year of purchases (at least for me), more like 4 or 5 years. I don't worry about the addons I use often, I get my money's worth out of those. The ones that get me are the ones I buy and don't use for whatever reason. I have put in some safety measures like others mentioned also:- I never, ever buy an addon the day it is released. Even if it is from one of the great vendors, I still hold off at least a day or two. For others, 2 weeks or more. It often has nothing to do with the quality of the addon, but how much time I will actually spend using it. Company X can make a spectacular version of Airplane Y, but if that plane doesn't fit the kind of flying I like to do, it will not get used. I stopped asking the question "is this a quality addon" and changed it to "will I get the use out of this". I've simply purchased too many airports in parts of the world I never fly, and airplanes that I don't have time to use to do it anymore. They are technically great addons, but they just aren't right for me. That saves me a lot of impulse buys that I don't end up using enough. - Research first - in addition to reading the forums here, I also check out the vendor's support forums before buying (when possible). If an addon doesn't have a support forum, or it is locked to the public, I factor that in to my "wait time" to buy.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

its not only the money, but the time. time to install new addons, to tweak the game like adding custom AI flight plans and repaints, etc. I just purchased an lcd hdtv and an xbox360 and a ps2 and I am happy right now playing those without getting aggrivated by crashes, low framerates, and spending 90% of my time tweaking rather than playing. I think FS9 will get a little bit more playtime but mainly I will wait until FSX for now...