Sign in to follow this  
Gabe Dang

GNS 530 Knobs not functional

Hi everyone, bear with me here as this is my first time using a support forum and also downloading a payware gauge. Anyways I bought the Carenado PC12 just the other day and after realizing that the default gps and fms system is quite lacking, I did some research and bought the RXP GNS 530. I thought I followed the instructions as best I could but I just cannot get the smaller, inside knobs to work. The bigger, outside ones that change pages and change part of the radio frequencies seem to work just fine but without the inside ones, the gauge is hard to use. I'd also like to note that I've seen a number of youtube videos of people using the RXP GNS530 and the cursor that shows up when hovering over the knobs seem to have a color spectrum which is not something I see in my system. I'm not a super tech savvy person so relatively specific ideas for solutions would be very much appreciated. Sorry for the long post, but thank you in advance!

Gabe

Hi Gabe. 
Couple of recommendations.  There is a Configurator for the RXP GNS gauges.  To access it, load into the simulator an aircraft where you have setup your GNS530 and it successfully shows up in the panel.  Then you hold down the shift key and right click the top edge of the RXP GNS gauge.  That should bring up a vertical box along the left edge of your computer screen.  If it does not come up, then use the GNS 2D popup.  Sometimes an aircraft virtual cockpit panel influences the ability to access it.

When you get it into view it contains a lot of potential configuration settings.  The appropriate settings you need to choose may vary by aircraft.  It is among those settings that you can find an option to use the colored cursors you have seen in Youtube videos.  Scroll down in the Configurator until you find a heading named Advanced. Click to expand Advanced, then scroll down again.  There are several settings. You may need to drag the scrollbar down to find them.  One of the settings is Use Legacy Mouse Knobs.  Select it and you will then have the colored knob cursors you have seen.  Those cursors are from the first version of the gauges, but many users find them preferable through experience with version 1.  In either case you need to practice with your mouse pointer to find and use the outer and inner knobs.

There are other settings in the configurator you may need to play what-if with, especially with the Panel Instruments section of options.  There is an interface so to speak between each aircraft and the simulator, and interface between the GTN and the simulator.  What needs to be set may vary by aircraft as the add-on aircraft folks do not all take the same approach.  What you strive for is to get the GNS hooked up to the appropriate navigation instruments in the aircraft panel.  It will take some trial and error on an aircraft by aircraft basis.

If you are not experienced with a GNS GPS gauge I recommend you find and run the Garmin GNS trainer to learn its functions and operation.  Understand that the RXP GNS uses the Garmin Trainer, so it's not just RXP you have, so to use it effectively you need to learn the Garmin GNS. The Garmin Trainer on my system is located at:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\GNS400W-500W Trainer\Trainer\G530SIM.EXE

The location on your system may vary.

Hope this helps you get kick-started!

• Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Hi, 

The legacy GNS you might have seen in YT videos also displayed 'highlighted' knobs (greenish) when hovering the mouse. The Reality XP GNS V2 won't.

However, like Frank said, "Use Legacy Mouse Knobs" option enables left/right mouse buttons = CCW/CW rotations like in the legacy GNS. Otherwise when disabled, left mouse button clicks to the left/right side of the knob = CCW/CW rotations.

As for the trainer v3.3 which comes with our product, it default installs to "C:/Program Files (x86)/Garmin/GNS Trainer/GNS" but won't run standalone though.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 5:33 PM, Gabe Dang said:

Gabe

Hi Gabe,

Welcome aboard and good choice of first addons... For single engine turboprops - I think the PC-12 is about the best we've got... I spend a great deal of time flying it... I've got mine pretty tricked out with the RXP GTN750 and GNS530 plus the REX Wx Radar - makes for a very capable aircraft and a hoot to fly...

One free thing you may want to look into is Little NavMap - as it's a full featured flight planner than can export to the RXP gauges - makes little easier than spinning the knobs to input the flight plan...  

Snap from this weekend...

PC-12 Landing St. Barts

sv27mx.jpg

Regards,
Scott

• Upvote 1

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

2 hours ago, RXP said:

The legacy GNS you might have seen in YT videos also displayed 'highlighted' knobs (greenish) when hovering the mouse. The Reality XP GNS V2 won't.

Boy. I am trying to recall. Were the green highlighted knobs a characteristic of the legacy RXP GNS gauges? Or were they a characteristic of a specific aircraft model or two?  I seem to remember them in just some aircraft, not others.  From me that is a question, not an answer.

Not talking about the cursors.  I had green rings highlighting the outline of the outer knobs in at least some aircraft.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Suggest you enable the "Legacy Knobs" option to give you a colorful set of arrows when hovering over the knobs.

It is under "Advanced" and you have to scroll down to find the option..

I personally use the mouse wheel to turn the knobs.. works great, once you get used to it.

If you have trouble with the interface, pop up the GNS window and operate the gauge there.

Bert

Hi everyone, thanks for all the advice. I've gotten the legacy knobs to work. However I am still having an issue where in the VC, only the outside knobs seem to work. And then when I pull up the 2D panel only the inside knob works. In an ideal world I'd like to be able to control the whole system from just the VC. 

Thanks again!

5 hours ago, fppilot said:

Boy. I am trying to recall. Were the green highlighted knobs a characteristic of the legacy RXP GNS gauges?

Yes it was in the legacy GNS, IIRC the very first version released with the non-waas Garmin trainer (16bits). We've felt it was no longer needed for the GNS V2, not only because it displays with HIDPI graphics, but also because we nearly all use higher resolution screens nowadays.

@Gabe Dang As-is, it is hard to give you directions, in that I'm not sure if for example the 3D gauge has its own 3D knobs protruding (GNS screen only), or if you've added the GNS V2 gauge and its bezel to the panel? Is there a chance you could post a screenshot or two?

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

37 minutes ago, Gabe Dang said:

Hi everyone, thanks for all the advice. I've gotten the legacy knobs to work. However I am still having an issue where in the VC, only the outside knobs seem to work. And then when I pull up the 2D panel only the inside knob works. In an ideal world I'd like to be able to control the whole system from just the VC. 

Thanks again!

OK, this makes no sense... maybe there are issues in the VC, but in the 2d panel, both knobs should work... Try again.. maybe you are not in the right position with your mouse pointer.. :happy:

• Upvote 1

Bert

Here I attached a link showing my panel in the VC and in the 2D mode @RXP

https://drive.google.com/open?id=18QoOqoZs4a7A-tOXiyIqpyC65AMJ2IOr

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17LXhK17ekcSnVEyHCEgaQ5b-TTzEWxzG/view?usp=sharing

@Bert Pieke I agree that its strange to have that issue with the 2D panel. However, I just attempted it again and no matter where I put my mouse pointer, whether it be over the inside knob or outside knob, I only ever moves the inside one when I'm in 2D. Maybe those screenshots above will give you a better understanding. I appreciate your patience and help.

What happens 

43 minutes ago, Gabe Dang said:

I agree that its strange to have that issue with the 2D panel. However, I just attempted it again and no matter where I put my mouse pointer, whether it be over the inside knob or outside knob, I only ever moves the inside one when I'm in 2D. Maybe those screenshots above will give you a better understanding. I appreciate your patience and help.

See what happens if you run the Garmin Trainer as a stand-alone.  At least that should give you a feel for the knobs.  To help find and run the trainer please go back to my first reply, which is the first reply to your original post at the start of this topic.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

2 hours ago, Gabe Dang said:

Here I attached a link showing my panel in the VC and in the 2D mode @RXP

https://drive.google.com/open?id=18QoOqoZs4a7A-tOXiyIqpyC65AMJ2IOr

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17LXhK17ekcSnVEyHCEgaQ5b-TTzEWxzG/view?usp=sharing

@Bert Pieke I agree that its strange to have that issue with the 2D panel. However, I just attempted it again and no matter where I put my mouse pointer, whether it be over the inside knob or outside knob, I only ever moves the inside one when I'm in 2D. Maybe those screenshots above will give you a better understanding. I appreciate your patience and help.

Something is not right... both GNS units show the same frequencies.. or not.. I cannot tell.

The top one should be COM1/NAV1 and the lower one COM2/NAV2.

I assume the top one is RXP and the lower one Carenado, or not? 

Did you use the Carenado rxp option to install the upper GNS or did you use the rxp substitution option?

I would use the Carenado rxp option which gives you one rxp gns and one Carenado gns.

Bert

So I tried the oldest trick in the book and just did a full uninstall of the PC12 and the RXP and sure enough I finally got everything to work. All of the knobs and everything seem functional. That said I then tried to use the trainer just to get to know the system better, and I couldn't seem to get a single button to turn on the gauge. It's not a major issue as I got the real gauge to work but it's just unfortunate that the trainer isn't doing anything.

7 hours ago, Gabe Dang said:

So I tried the oldest trick in the book and just did a full uninstall of the PC12 and the RXP and sure enough I finally got everything to work

Great! Now you can enjoy!

Frank Patton
ASUS 

10 hours ago, Gabe Dang said:

So I tried the oldest trick in the book and just did a full uninstall of the PC12 and the RXP and sure enough I finally got everything to work. All of the knobs and everything seem functional. That said I then tried to use the trainer just to get to know the system better, and I couldn't seem to get a single button to turn on the gauge. It's not a major issue as I got the real gauge to work but it's just unfortunate that the trainer isn't doing anything.

In the Trainer, you cannot turn the knobs, only click to the right and click to the left..

Bert