Sign in to follow this  
SoloPilot

Help on finding more addons?

I am curious, what are some free or cheap FSX addons that could enhance my overall experience? I already have the PMDG 737, 747, 777, TOPCAT, PrecipitFX, GSX, and several airport addons. I mostly do airline flying and would like to know how to enhance that experience. For example, I heard of an addon that simulates your life as an airline pilot, so you get dispatched to an airport and you start up at the airport that you left off from (I can’t remember the name of that addon, please help). 

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

With that lot you're a perfect candidate to go get yourself on to Vatsim or IVAO and join a VA (Virtual Airline)

Do your research as they vary greatly in terms of your rank, hours flown, reporting flights, etc.

There's a sub forum here on Avsim devoted to VA's.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/forum/146-va-world/

1 hour ago, SoloPilot said:

For example, I heard of an addon that simulates your life as an airline pilot, so you get dispatched to an airport and you start up at the airport that you left off from (I can’t remember the name of that addon, please help). 

For that i recommend FScaptain!

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

You need a good weather engine. AS2016 is required for the PMDG WX radar to work.

• Upvote 1

Vic green

46 minutes ago, dmarques69 said:

For that i recommend FScaptain!

Another alternative is AirHauler 2 from Just Flight.

• Upvote 2

Mario Di Lauro

1 hour ago, PATCO LCH said:

You need a good weather engine. AS2016 is required for the PMDG WX radar to work.

Leaving aside programs which simulate an airline career and which others may be more knowledgeable to advise you on, I would strongly agree with the suggestion for a good weather engine. I didn't bother with any weather enhancements until a couple of years ago which was a big mistake as the improvement they have made to the overall sense of realism and immersion while flying was amazing. So I would highly recommend something like AS2016 and a good set of weather textures.

Bill

• Upvote 1

I forgot to mention that I have ASN, so that the NGX WXR works. Thank you dmarques69, I couldn’t remember the name of it.

I’ve considered VATSIM but the problem is that I end up having to pause for a long period of time (sometimes over 24 hrs), particularly if the light is longer than 90 minutes. 

• Upvote 1

When I look for nice add-ons, I go to the sites that gave me good stuff in the past, like PMDG, Orbx/FTX, REX, etc., to see if they have anything new.  I also go to the huge FS stores and browse.  They usually provide information on new products.  Sites like AVSIM also have excellent front pages that provide information about new and exciting products.  The forums here at AVSIM also provide plentiful information about new and old add-ons.  You just browse the forums and see what's interesting, what works, what doesn't work very well.

• Upvote 2

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

What I love about AVSIM is you get honest appraisals from users instead of gusing advertisements disguised as a review.

• Upvote 3

Vic green

Three are allot, If you start to google around you will see links to download pages that the list goes on. When I was new to FSX I played with the default. Then downloaded allot of free stuff. Then payware got me into things

+1 for Air Hauler 2. It does a great job of motivating me to diversify my aircraft portfolio.

On 2/16/2018 at 0:30 PM, Jim Young said:

When I look for nice add-ons, I go to the sites that gave me good stuff in the past, like PMDG, Orbx/FTX, REX, etc., to see if they have anything new.  I also go to the huge FS stores and browse.  They usually provide information on new products.  Sites like AVSIM also have excellent front pages that provide information about new and exciting products.  The forums here at AVSIM also provide plentiful information about new and old add-ons.  You just browse the forums and see what's interesting, what works, what doesn't work very well.

I'll have to do that more often. I know that PMDG recently hinted at the development of the 737 MAX, so I'm somewhat anticipating that.