Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
KTFO

Some questions for VR flyers

Recommended Posts

Hi Guys

I am just getting into native VR on X Plane 11 with Oculus Rift. In terms of set-up, what are you using? I have all sliders to far left and performance is passable, with the odd jitter. I can get about 60 FPS in non-VR no problem like this.

I have seen YouTube videos that talk about Oculus Tray Tool, adding LUA scripts etc. My question is, should I bother with this? Isn't ASW 45 fps etc. built in? Why would I have to set this externally. I remember FlyInside had this as standard when I flew VR on P3D.

Surely with X-Plane 11 native VR I should be able to use it straight out of the box.

I have CPU - i7-6700K and GPU GTX 970.

Thanks in advance.


Peter James

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not exactly sure of your question but the gtx 970 will make VR tough in XP11.  You'll probably want to consider a 1080 as a minimum.


|Ryan Butterworth|

| i7 4790K@4.4GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA GTX 1080Ti | ASUS Z97-Pro | 1TB 860 Evo | 500GB 840 Evo Win10 Pro | 1TB Samsung 7200rpm | Seasonic X750W |

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still find X-Plane to be more CPU bound, and upgrading from 970->1070 did not make much difference for me in VR (Oculus). And you want to OC that CPU as much as you can. But, while I had it "reasonably" smooth, I also suffered from occasionally annoying jitters, but after months of trial and error, a tip on another forum to use the 3jFPS LUA script really made the difference, and smoothed out the last annoying bits. You can also ramp the sliders up a little bit then. It's still not AreoflyFS2 smooth, but then again, there will always be compromise in this hobby. My 2cents

--coffeecup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting.  I'm at 1080P and always maxing out my vram.

 

Isnt VR a higher resolution?  Maybe it's fine with low settings 


|Ryan Butterworth|

| i7 4790K@4.4GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA GTX 1080Ti | ASUS Z97-Pro | 1TB 860 Evo | 500GB 840 Evo Win10 Pro | 1TB Samsung 7200rpm | Seasonic X750W |

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2018 at 11:59 PM, KTFO said:

Hi Guys

I am just getting into native VR on X Plane 11 with Oculus Rift. In terms of set-up, what are you using? I have all sliders to far left and performance is passable, with the odd jitter. I can get about 60 FPS in non-VR no problem like this.

I have seen YouTube videos that talk about Oculus Tray Tool, adding LUA scripts etc. My question is, should I bother with this? Isn't ASW 45 fps etc. built in? Why would I have to set this externally. I remember FlyInside had this as standard when I flew VR on P3D.

Surely with X-Plane 11 native VR I should be able to use it straight out of the box.

I have CPU - i7-6700K and GPU GTX 970.

Thanks in advance.

Not happy with VR in X-Plane at all. Everything from fps to the present look, lack of clarity and resolution. I'm sticking completely with AFS2 VR which is second to none in clarity and FPS. Easy to move buttons and switches in the virtual cockpit. Just all around way better experience.

 

i7-7700k OC'd 4.7 GHz,   Asus Prime Z270-A MOBO ,32 GB DDR4 Ripjaws, ZOTAC ampExtreme 1080 8GB,  Thermaltake Core V71 Case, Corsair H100i v2 liquid cooler, RM850xCorsair psu, ADATA M.2 2280 240GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) WIndows 10 Pro, 2 TB Samsung and 3 TB WD HDs .


i7-10700k (ock'd 3 cores to 5.1 MHz and 5 others to 4.7 MHz), 32 GB XPG RAM, EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB, TUF Gaming 1200 LGA, MOBO, Corsair H100i 244 mm cooler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lenny777 said:

Not happy with VR in X-Plane at all. Everything from fps to the present look, lack of clarity and resolution. I'm sticking completely with AFS2 VR which is

I've ordered a Samsung Odyssey to have readable instruments.

Also with Vulkan we should get a nice FPS boost, hopefully in Xplane 10.3.

Edited by mike4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2018 at 12:59 PM, KTFO said:

Hi Guys

I am just getting into native VR on X Plane 11 with Oculus Rift. In terms of set-up, what are you using? I have all sliders to far left and performance is passable, with the odd jitter. I can get about 60 FPS in non-VR no problem like this.

I have seen YouTube videos that talk about Oculus Tray Tool, adding LUA scripts etc. My question is, should I bother with this? Isn't ASW 45 fps etc. built in? Why would I have to set this externally. I remember FlyInside had this as standard when I flew VR on P3D.

Surely with X-Plane 11 native VR I should be able to use it straight out of the box.

I have CPU - i7-6700K and GPU GTX 970.

Thanks in advance.

Don’t get put off VR by the naysayers, I fly Aerofly, p3d v4 and x-plane In VR, and x-plane is definitely my favourite at the moment. It’s come a long way.

to answer your question, yes you need the oculus tray tool (by Apollyon, google it and you’ll find it). You need this for supersampling, so you can read your gauges etc

set supersampling to 1.5 in the tray tool, and things should look ok (once your eyes get used to the lower res, which may take a few weeks)

what I don’t know is how you’ll go in x-plane with a 970, because I haven’t tried it. I used a 970 for vr in p3d and it was acceptable. And aerofly FS2 should definitely be ok. But I’ve only tried x-plane vr with a 1080Ti, which is definitely the VR card you want if you can possibly get one.


Rob

Sim rig: Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5GHz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Code, MSI 2080 Ti, GSkill DDR4 32 GB, NZXT Kraken. 

Current sims: P3D v5, MSFS, X-plane 11, Aerofly FS2 and DCS. 

 xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried with the update and sorry, stay away. Bad shimmering and fps issues still.  Setting ss1.5 does very little. I like the big pointer that at least makes it easy to find, move and manipulate the switches and buttons. If you're contemplating getting VR just because of this implementation you will be disappointed.. I used FlyInside for both X-plane and P3Dv4.1. Didn't like the former. The latter was not too bad. It allowed bringing in windows of various sorts, like maps, charts etc and had pretty good fps. But moving on to  P3Dv4 I ended all that.

 

As I stated above AFS2 is the only way to go for civilian VR flying.

 


i7-10700k (ock'd 3 cores to 5.1 MHz and 5 others to 4.7 MHz), 32 GB XPG RAM, EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB, TUF Gaming 1200 LGA, MOBO, Corsair H100i 244 mm cooler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lenny777 said:

As I stated above AFS2 is the only way to go for civilian VR flying.

This is plain wrong. Native VR in XP11 is pretty good.

Not only does it perform very well and have touch controllers integrated, but it is also possible to use advanced airplanes. AF2 might perform a bit better with its static weather and water, but it lacks one decent GA aircraft.

Either you lack the hardware to use VR or have no clue on how to set it up.


PC1: Intel i9 10900k@5.1Ghz@1.265v | Gainward GeForce RTX 3090 Phantom | MSI Gaming Carbon Z490 | 32Gb RAM DDR4 3600 | 2TB NVMe | BeQuiet 1000W Platinum | BeQuiet Pure Base 500DX | BeQuiet Pure Loop 360mm | LG OLED 48CX8LC

PC2: Intel i5 10400F | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Gaming OC | Asrock B560M-ITX | 32Gb RAM DDR4 3600 | 1Tb NVMe | Lian Li T150 | Noctua NH-D15S | Samsung Ultra-Wide 49" 5K C49RG94SSU

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

This is plain wrong. Native VR in XP11 is pretty good.

Not only does it perform very well and have touch controllers integrated, but it is also possible to use advanced airplanes. AF2 might perform a bit better with its static weather and water, but it lacks one decent GA aircraft.

Either you lack the hardware to use VR or have no clue on how to set it up.

I've had Oculus virtually from it's inception and have numerous games. P3D using FI is significantly better not only in terms of looks but functionality given its use of windows. And beyond all of these AFS2 which is significantly superior to all.  Bad shimmering, Mediocre fps, etc. Today I revisited XP with the update  using FF 767. Just not a pleasant experience -everything from the need to remove my headgear to access the IPad settings, to the very mediocre general look and frames.  And I don't lack the hardware. The clue you should have is not to misrepresent how good it is. I would also say, the use of the hand controls is virtually of no value if you have a big yoke like I do sitting in front of you (Pro Flight Yoke System). 

 

i7-7700k OC'd 4.7 GHz,   Asus Prime Z270-A MOBO ,32 GB DDR4 Ripjaws, ZOTAC ampExtreme 1080 8GB,  Thermaltake Core V71 Case, Corsair H100i v2 liquid cooler, RM850xCorsair psu, ADATA M.2 2280 240GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) WIndows 10 Pro, 2 TB Samsung and 3 TB WD HDs .


i7-10700k (ock'd 3 cores to 5.1 MHz and 5 others to 4.7 MHz), 32 GB XPG RAM, EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB, TUF Gaming 1200 LGA, MOBO, Corsair H100i 244 mm cooler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lenny777 said:

 Today I revisited XP with the update  using FF 767. Just not a pleasant experience -everything from the need to remove my headgear to access the IPad settings, to the very mediocre general look and frames. 

That is not a problem of XP11 VR, but relates to the fact that FF`s is not yet supporting VR for the 767! What would you expect?? 

Try to use airplanes that have been re-designed to user Native VR and the experience will be much different. Using the touch controls to twist all knobs and interact with the switches is obliviously something very, very cool. It seems that you also have to work on your table set-up as I have no problems using my TM Warthog in VR.

I have used VR exclusively for almost 2 years. Even though I started with Flyinside and appreciate their efforts, since P3DV4 and XP11 I have fully converted to Native VR. Couldn not be happier with the recent improvements of the technology.

Edited by GCBraun

PC1: Intel i9 10900k@5.1Ghz@1.265v | Gainward GeForce RTX 3090 Phantom | MSI Gaming Carbon Z490 | 32Gb RAM DDR4 3600 | 2TB NVMe | BeQuiet 1000W Platinum | BeQuiet Pure Base 500DX | BeQuiet Pure Loop 360mm | LG OLED 48CX8LC

PC2: Intel i5 10400F | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Gaming OC | Asrock B560M-ITX | 32Gb RAM DDR4 3600 | 1Tb NVMe | Lian Li T150 | Noctua NH-D15S | Samsung Ultra-Wide 49" 5K C49RG94SSU

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, GCBraun said:

That is not a problem of XP11 VR, but relates to the fact that FF`s is not yet supporting VR for the 767! What would you expect?? 

Try to use airplanes that have been re-designed to user Native VR and the experience will be much different. Using the touch controls to twist all knobs and interact with the switches is obliviously something very, very cool. It seems that you also have to work on your table set-up as I have no problems using my TM Warthog in VR.

I have used VR exclusively for almost 2 years. Even though I started with Flyinside and appreciate their efforts, since P3DV4 and XP11 I have fully converted to Native VR. Couldn not be happier with the recent improvements of the technology.

It has nothing to do with XP not supporting FF!! I didn't expect anything but at least a  decent fps, lack of juddering, lack of shimmering all resident in the VR implementation for XP notwithstanding that plane. And I would point out to you at least the implementation with FI for the P3D lacked several of the problematic visual aspects which are so characteristic of XP. Didn't matter WHAT plane was used whether a PMDG product or Captn Sim, etc. Even the VR implementation in P3Dv4 is better than XP's implementation visually. 

 

As I stated the hand controllers are virtually worthless on GA planes because my setup requires the  fixed Saitek yoke system which makes the use of the hand controllers completely useless particularly in combination with pedals, keyboard, saitek quadrant.


i7-10700k (ock'd 3 cores to 5.1 MHz and 5 others to 4.7 MHz), 32 GB XPG RAM, EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB, TUF Gaming 1200 LGA, MOBO, Corsair H100i 244 mm cooler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lenny777 said:

As I stated the hand controllers are virtually worthless on GA planes because my setup requires the  fixed Saitek yoke system which makes the use of the hand controllers completely useless particularly in combination with pedals, keyboard, saitek quadrant.

I don't fly VR, but that last paragraph doesn't fit my expectations when I finally try it.

Do you never touch any cockpit controls besides the yoke, throttle, and pedals when flying GA? I guess it depends on what kind of plane you fly, but you'd need a heck of a lot of assignable buttons and switches to never need virtual hand controllers in many GA planes. Especially if you're dealing with ATC.

The GA plane I fly the most in X-Plane is the Carenado PC-12. I have a Warthog HOTAS and pedals, and there are many switches assigned to things like trim, landing lights, prop reverse and basic autopilot functions. But I don't have enough rotary switches for functions like setting altitude capture or vertical speed change in the autopilot. I need to mouse over the cockpit displays for that. I don't do much with ATC, but I would also need it for changing radio frequencies if I did. I don't have enough buttons for page-switching and operation of the GNS530 either. That's usually set-and-forget, but one of these days I want to start practicing more advanced GPS approaches.

The other GA aircraft I fly frequently is the Bell 412, which has its own set of essential controls that can't all be mapped to the HOTAS.

So I don't think virtual hand controllers are just for airliners. I could probably fly a Piper Cub with just a few controls, but GA means more than that.


X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lenny777 said:

It has nothing to do with XP not supporting FF!! I didn't expect anything but at least a  decent fps, lack of juddering, lack of shimmering all resident in the VR implementation for XP notwithstanding that plane. And I would point out to you at least the implementation with FI for the P3D lacked several of the problematic visual aspects which are so characteristic of XP. Didn't matter WHAT plane was used whether a PMDG product or Captn Sim, etc. Even the VR implementation in P3Dv4 is better than XP's implementation visually. 

Again, it seems that you did not configure your system or simulator settings properly. I do have any performance issue in VR and that includes using heavy planes like the FF A320.

As for shimmering and artifacts, being a relatively new technology, of course VR is not visually perfect and some of the 2D problems (like the cloud-shadow flickering) do carry on and perhaps look even worse with the Rift. Being that said, I think the progress since the beginning of the year has been remarkable and XP11 is now my go-to VR sim.

 

4 hours ago, Lenny777 said:

hand controllers are virtually worthless on GA planes because my setup requires the  fixed Saitek yoke system which makes the use of the hand controllers completely useless particularly in combination with pedals, keyboard, saitek quadrant.

Keyboard?? Your are definitely doing something wrong there. You have a setup to be used with flat-screen and just seems not willing to adjust it for a virtual cockpit. If that is the case, my recommendation would be to sell your VR goggles and go back to 2D mode. 

Edited by GCBraun

PC1: Intel i9 10900k@5.1Ghz@1.265v | Gainward GeForce RTX 3090 Phantom | MSI Gaming Carbon Z490 | 32Gb RAM DDR4 3600 | 2TB NVMe | BeQuiet 1000W Platinum | BeQuiet Pure Base 500DX | BeQuiet Pure Loop 360mm | LG OLED 48CX8LC

PC2: Intel i5 10400F | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Gaming OC | Asrock B560M-ITX | 32Gb RAM DDR4 3600 | 1Tb NVMe | Lian Li T150 | Noctua NH-D15S | Samsung Ultra-Wide 49" 5K C49RG94SSU

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, GCBraun said:

Again, it seems that you did not configure your system or simulator settings properly. I do have any performance issue in VR and that includes using heavy planes like the FF A320.

As for shimmering and artifacts, being a relatively new technology, of course VR is not visually perfect and some of the 2D problems (like the cloud-shadow flickering) do carry on and perhaps look even worse with the Rift. Being that said, I think the progress since the beginning of the year has been remarkable and XP11 is now my go-to VR sim.

 

Keyboard?? Your are definitely doing something wrong there. You have a setup to be used with flat-screen and just seems not willing to adjust it for a virtual cockpit. If that is the case, my recommendation would be to sell your VR goggles and go back to 2D mode. 

Your recommendation is insulting and stupid. AFS2 puts XP to shame in look, feel, clarity, of the VR flying. Take up the the Dash 8 Q400 in AFS2 in VR and get back to me before you try to sell the crappy experience in XP11. It not only needs maturing, it needs a complete revamp. I started flying VR since FI came out with its product. Amazing that that 32 bit product even puts the XP 11 64 bit product to shame. You're selling hype, not reality.


i7-10700k (ock'd 3 cores to 5.1 MHz and 5 others to 4.7 MHz), 32 GB XPG RAM, EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB, TUF Gaming 1200 LGA, MOBO, Corsair H100i 244 mm cooler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    53%
    $13,405.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...