J van E

ProATC 1.9.2.3 coming up

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Tuesday 22nd May ProATC 1.9.2.3 will (finally) be released. Let's hope that after the (imho) failed 1.9.2.2 release this one will actually work as advertised.

One thing that caught my eye was this remark: "ONLINE ACCESS IS REQUIRED to RUN v1923". I wonder if there still are simmers out there that do not have internet on their simming rig? In that case it seems you are out of luck. I myself do have internet on my simming PC but still don't like this requirement. What if my internet is down? Or what if the ProATC server (that apparently checks something online during startup) is down?

How many other addons require online access? I know ChasePlane does but afaik the new beta offers an offline option. I am a bit amazed ProATC is suddenly coming with this requirement now. And I also wonder what consequences this may have for current or wannabe ProATCusers.

Another issue: the update will be automatic if you are using 1.9.2.2. No way to stop it from updating. If you don't like 1.9.2.3 for some reason you are out of luck and stuck with it. You also can't use old data (from previous versions) with it.

It is unsure right now what will happen if you are currently use an older version: I am awaiting a reply on the question I posted on the ProATC forum about that. It seems to be a wise thing to at least make a backup of your current version.

http://www.pointsoftware.de/proatcxforum/forum/index.php/topic,3558.msg18109.html

Edited by J van E

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Options>  Untick 'Automatically check for updates' will stop the update and/or backup your current installed version. If you decide to not update, then ProATC/X will continue to run as normal.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

I find it ironic that an offline ATC program would require Internet access. Hopefully, it is for updates only. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, J van E said:

Tuesday 22nd May ProATC 1.9.2.3 will (finally) be released. Let's hope that after the (imho) failed 1.9.2.2 release this one will actually work as advertised.

One thing that caught my eye was this remark: "ONLINE ACCESS IS REQUIRED to RUN v1923". I wonder if there still are simmers out there that do not have internet on their simming rig? In that case it seems you are out of luck. I myself do have internet on my simming PC but still don't like this requirement. What if my internet is down? Or what if the ProATC server (that apparently checks something online during startup) is down?

How many other addons require online access? I know ChasePlane does but afaik the new beta offers an offline option. I am a bit amazed ProATC is suddenly coming with this requirement now. And I also wonder what consequences this may have for current or wannabe ProATCusers.

Another issue: the update will be automatic if you are using 1.9.2.2. No way to stop it from updating. If you don't like 1.9.2.3 for some reason you are out of luck and stuck with it. You also can't use old data (from previous versions) with it.

It is unsure right now what will happen if you are currently use an older version: I am awaiting a reply on the question I posted on the ProATC forum about that. It seems to be a wise thing to at least make a backup of your current version.

http://www.pointsoftware.de/proatcxforum/forum/index.php/topic,3558.msg18109.html

I saw  the answer to your questions on the forum this morning , but after reading the answer several times, I still couldn't figure it out so I asked again on the forum.

 

I am not using the current beta version 1922 because it caused major problems with my P3D V 3.4. I am using PATC 1919 at present which works about 95%. I want to try 1923, but I am making a backup of 1919, so that if 1923 also causes problems for me, I can revert back to something that works. Apparently there is not a full installer for 1923, so it has to upgrade a current version. Does that mean that I have to install 1922 and start it up  in order to get 1923 installed, or will 1919 be OK for installing the 1923 update? That is not made clear on the PATC forum.  

By the way, in order to safely backup your current working version in case you want to revert back to it, make a copy of the Pro ATC X folder, and then rename that folder, Pro-ATC-X- XXXX  ( XXXX for your version number) 

Edited by Bobsk8

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

You can have two different versions installed side by side as I do currently with 1.8.7.9 and 1.9.2.2.

Edited by Nemo

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Ok, what is clear by now is that ANY version of ProATC will be updated to 1.9.2.3 as long as you have the option 'Automatically check for updates' enabled. So it's not only 1.9.2.2 that will be updated (as the original information seemed to imply). So that's good news.

It's kind of odd though that there won't be a full installer for 1.9.2.3. So if you want to do a reinstall or if you want to buy ProATC you will have to download and install and OLD version which will be updated at the first start. Very odd. This will defenitely lead to confused posts of new users who (obviously) will expect to get the latest version when they buy the addon. I also wonder if this means there will be obsolete files on your hard disk. Odd decision to not release a full installer.

The question about the required access to the internet for USE of ProATC hasn't been answered yet.

Edited by J van E

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, J van E said:

Ok, what is clear by now is that ANY version of ProATC will be updated to 1.9.2.3 as long as you have the option 'Automatically check for updates' enabled. So it's not only 1.9.2.2 that will be updated (as the original information seemed to imply). So that's good news.

It's kind of odd though that there won't be a full installer for 1.9.2.3. So if you want to do a reinstall or if you want to buy ProATC you will have to download and install and OLD version which will be updated at the first start. Very odd. This will defenitely lead to confused posts of new users who (obviously) will expect to get the latest version when they buy the addon. I also wonder if this means there will be obsolete files on your hard disk. Odd decision to not release a full installer.

The question about the required access to the internet for USE of ProATC hasn't been answered yet.

I agree, with all the versions of PATC out there now, not having a full installer so one can do a clean install of the latest version is rather strange. 

Edited by Bobsk8

Share this post


Link to post

J Van E, I did not know you flew IFR. Though like me you were a low and slow VFR buff 🙂 From my understanding ProATC is IFR only? I am still looking for that great VFR and IFR ATC solution. Have had this hobby for over 20 years and tried them all and still my nr 1 VFR preference is default ATC with Edit Voicepack and MCE for voice communication.

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, mikced76 said:

J Van E, I did not know you flew IFR. Though like me you were a low and slow VFR buff 🙂 From my understanding ProATC is IFR only? I am still looking for that great VFR and IFR ATC solution. Have had this hobby for over 20 years and tried them all and still my nr 1 VFR preference is default ATC with Edit Voicepack and MCE for voice communication.

Mike

PATC is the best for IFR, for VFR you may want to try PF3.

Share this post


Link to post

Mike,  correct ProATC/X is IFR only, have you tried Pilot2ATC?

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Surprised you haven't tried Pilot2ATC, Bob?

Edited by alpha117

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, alpha117 said:

Surprised you haven't tried Pilot2ATC, Bob?

Tried it a couple of times. Didn't like it and couldn't afford the voices at around $50 a pop to have some variety in controller voices.  Why do you ask?

 

Edited by Bobsk8

Share this post


Link to post

Just wondering what you thoughts were about it

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, alpha117 said:

Just wondering what you thoughts were about it

 The voice expense was a big negative for me. I also found that it used a fairly high percentage of CPU cycles when running, for me at least. I think that was mainly due to the detailed moving map. I also don't care for voice commands and flying with a headset on either. All just personal opinions. YMMV.  

Edited by Bobsk8

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, mikced76 said:

J Van E, I did not know you flew IFR. Though like me you were a low and slow VFR buff 🙂 From my understanding ProATC is IFR only? I am still looking for that great VFR and IFR ATC solution. Have had this hobby for over 20 years and tried them all and still my nr 1 VFR preference is default ATC with Edit Voicepack and MCE for voice communication.

Mike

Yes, I do both. Whenever I get tired of flying IFR, mainly focusing on the instruments, I start flying VFR again, which might entertain me for a few hours or a few months. And whenever I get tired of that again I switch back to flying high and dry. Which also might entertain me for a few hours of a few months. 😄 Flying IFR is like a totally different game to me than flying VFR. Lately I fly IFR much more because of the superb Majestic Q400: I simply love how it keeps me entertained during the entire flight. It needs a lot of manual input. It is also suited for shorter domestic flights. It somehow magically combines the best of both worlds (IFR and VFR) in one plane, at least for me.

But anyway, I also prefer and use default ATC (or none at all) with (pure) VFR. For IFR ProATC is king imho. I seriously can't imagine flying IFR without ProATC.

EDIT
It also has been confirmed an internet connection is required if you want to use ProATC. Not something I like but I can live with it. But it will definitely be something some users (which don't have internet on their simming PC) will have to take into account!

Edited by J van E

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

 The voice expense was a big negative for me. I also found that it used a fairly high percentage of CPU cycles when running, for me at least. I think that was mainly due to the detailed moving map. I also don't care for voice commands and flying with a headset on either. All just personal opinions. YMMV.  

Why did you not try using the 'say it' menu, no need for voice commands or headset.

Did Pilot2ATC not work on your system due to the high CPU useage?

Did you report this on the Pilot2ATC forum here on AVSIM?

 

Edited by alpha117

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, alpha117 said:

Why did you not try using the 'say it' menu, no need for voice commands or headset.

Did Pilot2ATC not work on your system due to the high CPU useage?

Did you report this on the Pilot2ATC forum here on AVSIM?

 

Yes, to all three of your questions, long  , long time ago.  Are you a Moderator for Pilot 2 ATC too? Must be confusing representing two different ATC programs. 

Share this post


Link to post

To get back on the full installer of 1.9.2.3 not being available: it just occured to me that more addons require the installation of a patch after installing them, for instance A2A planes and sometimes ASN. So there are more addons that don't always have a full installer available of the latest version. As I am typing this the Majestic Q400 also comes to mind... So this isn't as odd as I thought it was. My bad. 🙄 And ProATC even gets updated automatically, which in the end is better than having to manually patch an addon.

Still, I do like full installers of the latest versions if possible... 😉

ANYWAY, the main point of this topic was the announcement that 1.9.2.3 is coming! I really hope all 1.9.2.2 problems will be solved with this new version!

Share this post


Link to post

Nope, just a normal user, need to see what others are up to, just like I do with PF3 

Share this post


Link to post

Jeroen,  

You are correct, this is off topic and any issue should be raised in the ProATC/X forum 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Let's see if they get it ready as promised. Clive already mentioned a 'technical issue' just some minutes ago. Anyway, if I have to wait some days(!) longer, I won't care.

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, J van E said:

EDIT
It also has been confirmed an internet connection is required if you want to use ProATC. Not something I like but I can live with it. But it will definitely be something some users (which don't have internet on their simming PC) will have to take into account!

Jeroen, Is this a "Phone home" feature? What happens if you simulate loosing internet by going offline, would it still work?

Share this post


Link to post

I don't know that this is the case here but many programs require an internet connection at startup to validate registration, after that it can be disconnected.

Vic

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Samaritano said:

Jeroen, Is this a "Phone home" feature? What happens if you simulate loosing internet by going offline, would it still work?

I am an user of PROATC and I was reading their oficial forums, I think there is a miss understanding of the requirement for the Internet Connection.

I believe this is required so the software can update itself to newer versions not to operate, I might right @alpha117?

Regards,
Simbol

Edited by simbol

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, simbol said:

I am an user of PROATC and I was reading their oficial forums, I think there is a miss understanding of the requirement for the Internet Connection.

I believe this is required so the software can update itself to newer versions not to operate, I might right @alpha117?

Regards,
Simbol

 

9 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

I don't know that this is the case here but many programs require an internet connection at startup to validate registration, after that it can be disconnected.

Vic

 

Thank you guys. Hopefully   @alpha117can confirm.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now