captain420

Rex Skyforce 3d confusion

I've been out of the flightsim loop for awhile now and have recently started getting back, so much has changed. I was previously using Active Sky+ASCA for my weather engine and cloud textures. I see that Rex Skyforce has been out. Will it work alongside with Active Sky+Asca or is it a complete replacement?

I'm looking for beautiful cloud textures, but if Rex Skyforce replaces and does everything better than what Active Sky+ASCA currently does, I may switch over. I'm not sure if Rex Skyforce is a weather engine or a cloud texture package or both. Can someone clear this up for me.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

You can use Rex for just the clouds and AS for weather.  That is a great combo in my opinion.  Rex has a weather engine but I don't find it as good as AS so I just turn it off and run AS and Rex at the same time.  There should be a thread that shows detailed installation instructions for setting this up. 

It will work with AS, replacing ASCA clouds and you have to disable the SF3 weather engine. Quite a lot has been written in this forum. - google it.

Thanks, just curious what do you guys think about REX Skyforce textures versus ASCA?

Some of us use ASP4 + Skyforce .

Others use ASP4 + ASCA.

Use Search and you will find it all. Myself I use the last combo. 

1 hour ago, captain420 said:

Thanks, just curious what do you guys think about REX Skyforce textures versus ASCA?

I myself prefer AS with REX SkyForce clouds. Take note that you can't use the dynamic texture loading feature of AS+ASCA when you use REX SkyForce, so the textures you load before starting a flight (or the once you loaded months ago: you do not have to load new textures every time) are the once that are being used and that's it until you manually load new textures. I myself prefer the look of the SF clouds over the dynamic clouds of ASCA though: never quite liked the look of the ASCA clouds and never really noticed an obvious difference with the dynamic texture changes. As with every texture addon it's a very personal choice. Neither is better: they are all good and all a bit different. However, 95% of the users here will agree that the AS weather engine is a lot better than the SF one...!

Check out a few possible combinations of these addons here:

So the textures in REX Skyforce 3D are just clouds, or sky related textures only? Do they replace the textures from REX Texture Direct+Soft Clouds package? I know those included more than just sky and cloud textures but also airport, water, land, lightning and much more.

I'm getting confused with all these overlapping add-ons. Do I keep my REX Texture Direct+SC or get rid of it completely if I'm going to be using the textures from REX Skyforce 3D?

Skyforce is sky and clouds texture, lightning, moon, sun, and maybe more. 

@GSalden nailed it on the head with his comment, it's personal preference. I use AS- Skyforce. I have REX Texture Direct but only use that to change out runway textures. I do not use the sky or clouds on that product anymore. All these products do is replace the textures in the simulator. The last product to  "push" to the simulator wins. 

3 hours ago, captain420 said:

Having used both, I definitely prefer Sky Force. It's not a huge gap between the two but overall, Sky Force just blends better and looks more natural overall, in my opinion.

In my 2c opinion, Skyforce provides a more natural looking Sky environment.  As with the others, I use the AS weather engine and SF for the textures and additional features (visible rain shafts, higher cloud tops etc)

I've been using Skyforce since day one and I'll never go back.  The weather engine sucks, but there's no problem with using Active sky.  I don't use ASCA anymore as Skyforce provides excellent clouds and skies.  Pair AS with Skyforce, and your flying will be transformed, particularly around thunderstorms.  Amazing stuff, and it will only get better as improvements are made over time. 

Just my opinion,

John

Wow, looks like a lot of you are using the AS+Skyforce combo. I can see why. I also have ASCA and never did find the sky/cloud textures decent. 

Could you guys post some screenshots of your skies with Skyforce textures using AS as the weather engine. I would love to see how they look. I was trying to watch youtube videos of skyforce but couldn't find much.

I've never really been happy with Sky Force, and progress from REX comes excruciatingly slow and I'm not sure I'll ever use SkyForce again.  I do keep checking the updates, and then going back to what I've listed below.

To unconfuse.... ActiveSky with ASCA and EVENTEX is absolutely a winner in my book and every high-end simmer i know.

Moreover, I believe HiFi will have some more things coming down the road, and the discounts they provide to existing customers makes placing my money on HiFi.

My very best wishes.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

To unconfuse.... ActiveSky with ASCA and EVENTEX is absolutely a winner in my book and every high-end simmer i know.

That's a bit of an odd and remark imho. As if everyone who doesn't use your preferred combination of addons probably is a low-end simmer...? What's a high-end simmer anyway? You probably didn't mean it like that but it sounds a bit condescending.

ENVTEX is one of the absolute worse purchases I made. I regret ever getting that. But anyways getting back on track. I would love to see some screenshots of Rex Skyforce if anyone has some examples they'd like to share.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, J van E said:

That's a bit of an odd and remark imho. As if everyone who doesn't use your preferred combination of addons probably is a low-end simmer...? What's a high-end simmer anyway? You probably didn't mean it like that but it sounds a bit condescending.

You didn't have your coffee this morning my friend.  Re-read it, without the negative attitude and assumptions.

Sweet lord!

23 hours ago, captain420 said:

I've been out of the flightsim loop for awhile now and have recently started getting back

Welcome back

Posted (edited)

Thanks Erich!

I just started to pick out my textures and such in Skyforce, now I'm a bit confused about the PTA integration. If I decide to use this, do I need to load up PTA and restore back my original shaders first?

In Rex Skyforce it states that if you use PTA integration, then you shouldn't install any sky textures. I'm a bit confused by this part. What's the difference between using the skytextures vs the PTA integration method? Does one have an advantage over the other when it comes to sky textures? I'm not sure which method to use here.

Edited by captain420

Aaron - some of these questions would be better served on the Rex support forums.

Vic

REX Sky Force is not like REX Texture Direct.  We rebuilt the cloud models in the sim so that we could be better cloud structures.   Yes, it uses new cloud textures, but those are special cloud textures to be used with the cloud structures.  Instead of the standard: cumulus, stratus, cirrus, and thunderstorm, we are able to expand to generally all cloud classifications.

Sky Force will work with any weather engine on the market:  OPUS, FSGRW, Active Sky, or any freeware engine.   As recommended you just need to disable the weather engine.  As of note, we will be providing a significant update to our current weather engine with Weather Force for free to all Sky Force owners and anyone who purchases Sky Force in the future.

Posted (edited)

What is the latest "all in one" package from REX? I have been using REX Essential Plus for so long that I have lost track of all the latest developments. If I decide to upgrade, I would want a complete package, not just one that improves the sky and cloud textures.

Edited by Christopher Low

Weatherforce? This is getting really confusing. So Rex Skyforce is a weather engine and sky/cloud/sound/moon/lightning texture placement, and Weatherforce will be another weather engine?

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, captain420 said:

Weatherforce? This is getting really confusing. So Rex Skyforce is a weather engine and sky/cloud/sound/moon/lightning texture placement, and Weatherforce will be another weather engine?

REX Sky Force - focuses on the weather aspect of the sim.  Cloud models as well as cloud, sky, sun, moon, and lightning textures and effects with a weather engine.  The weather engine within Sky Force is our standard weather engine utilizing the SDK / Simconnect.  It is limited in function.  We have been working on our "high tech" weather engine "Weather Force" for a while.  This new weather engine allows us to do things with the weather we have not been able to do with the standard engine we had in Essentials.  We are going to integrate it into Sky Force for free. It will replace the current weather engine within Sky Force.

Edited by rstough
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

What is the latest "all in one" package from REX? I have been using REX Essential Plus for so long that I have lost track of all the latest developments. If I decide to upgrade, I would want a complete package, not just one that improves the sky and cloud textures.

We are no longer doing "all in one" package because it really limited us in our development.  So we have decided to break the programs into parts so that we could continue to advance the technology further than what we could do with the HUGE all in one product..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rstough said:

We are no longer doing "all in one" package because it really limited us in our development.  So we have decided to break the programs into parts so that we could continue to advance the technology further than what we could do with the HUGE all in one product..

Reed

Is integration with the PMDG weather radar and a winds aloft data uplink planned?  Otherwise many will not move over to using the REX weather engine.  The lack of that feature is an Achilles heel

• Like 2