Sign in to follow this  
emisary

Looking for a list of realistic airplanes in Prepared V4/FSX

I am looking for the most realistic  planes in FSX and Prepar3d V4.
I have build my list, but I am not sure if I do have it wrong on some points. And would like to verify that.

In short realistic and good quality from good to bad.
Carenado is good looking, but the flightmodel and system depth are mediocre.

1. Majestics Q400
  2. MaddogX MD80
  3. PMDG B737
  4. FSLabs A320
  5. Aerosoft Twinotter Extended
  6. TDFI B717
  7. QW RJ/BAE series
  8. Aerosoft CRJ series
  9. Carenado C208
  10. Carenado PC12
  11. Carenado F50

Thanks for helping me on the ist.

RobB

A2A and Milviz make very realistic addon airplanes. Mostly GA or military types.

Barry Friedman

A2A I know. And Milviz too.
But I was looking into some specific planes for a Virtual Airline.

My VA now has a a garbage like fleet. To many. Well really that list.
And I am looking into a list of max 5 planes. But then 3 props an 2 jets.  And the choosen planes should be pretty much realistically.

I am thinking about the Twinotter Extended, Majestics Q400 and the MaddogX from Leonardo.
I doubt about the TFDI B717 quality and realistic.
Eventually add the Carenado PC12.
And it should be Prepar3d geared.

And I would like to know if my view on the planes equals the general consensus.
And wether the B717 is more realistic and have better flightmodel then the QW BAE or are they somewhat equal?
QW has reduced the amount of buttons to push, but it still can be realistically.

Thanks so far.

RobB

Edited by emisary

I am rethinking my lineup into:
AS Twinotter Extended
Majestic Q400
Leonardo MD80

OR

AS Twinotter Extended
Majestic Q400
TFDI B717

In both cases maybe adding the PC12. Or something else.
Not sure if the B717 adds something to the MD80 or oposite.

Thanks for the Saab.

2 hours ago, emisary said:

A2A I know. And Milviz too.
But I was looking into some specific planes for a Virtual Airline.

My VA now has a a garbage like fleet. To many. Well really that list.
And I am looking into a list of max 5 planes. But then 3 props an 2 jets.  And the choosen planes should be pretty much realistically.

I am thinking about the Twinotter Extended, Majestics Q400 and the MaddogX from Leonardo.
And it should be Prepar3d geared.

And I would like to know if my view on the planes equals the general consensus.
And wether the B717 is more realistic and have better flightmodel then the QW BAE or are they somewhat equal?
QW has reduced the amount of buttons to push, but it still can be realistically.

Thanks so far.

RobB

Do not doubt ! I have the first 6 aircrafts on your list, you can confidently add the TFDI B717...Go for it !

Regards,

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

2 hours ago, emisary said:

This is the funniest thing I've read all week; doubting the quality and realism of the TFDI B717, but giving a Carenado add on the thumbs up for realism and quality lol.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

@Chock,
If I knew I would not ask. 😉

I doubt between the Leonardo and TFDI.
Or take both.

I do not consider the Carenado on the same level.
They lkook good and maybe the flightmodel is ok.
I read on points that hte Carenado on several occasions that the PC12 and Saab are not bad at all.

I am asking opinions and getting them. Thanks.

Robb

A few to throw into the mix...

Opinions vary, but another one you might consider is Aerosoft's Bombardier CRJ. Some people have had issues with it, but I've found it to be pretty good and fairly realistic. Another really good one by Aerosoft is the Antonov AN-2, which is  probably the biggest single engined prop aircraft you could legally pilot on a standard PPL in Europe owing to its weight, so this is an aeroplane many of us could fly for real without too much trouble if we wanted it in our logbooks, which means it's a good one to get familiar with should the opportunity to have a go in a real one arise!

Not compatible with P3D unfortunately, but for FSX, there is the wonderful SimCheck Airbus A300-B4-200, which is stunningly realistic in terms of systems and avionics and is an interesting transitional type where FMC's were just starting to show up, but at a time before Airbus had made the A320. don't know anyone who has a bad word to say about this add-on for FSX, which is sorely missed in P3D.

Pretty much everything A2A produces, I would consider to be in the premier league of add-ons for FSX/P3D, you really can't go wrong with anything they make, A2A is the best and most prolific quality flight simulator add-on developer by a country mile.

If you tread carefully through the Just Flight catalogue of products, you can find some real gems in terms of realism/quality. Whilst it is true that a lot of what they produce is 'built to a price' in terms of systems and quality, some of their add-ons are full on quality products which can stand up to any inspection. Check out their large range of Piper PA-28 variants, of which there are many, as they are all very good. Also worth a look is their Socato/Aerospatiale TB10/TB20 Trinidad and Tobago add-on, which is very nice and very realistic. Likewise their Cessna 152, which unfortunately is not an A152 Aerobat variant, but it is very nice all the same.

It's probably worth adding the QW Boeing 787 Dreamliner to the list of pretty realistic airliners. Whilst not a study sim in the sense of literally everything working, what is simulated (which is a good percentage of most of the systems on the real thing) is done well and it's a commendable job of simulating one of the more complex airliners out there which QW have managed to pull off, especially considering that JF actually cancelled their own development of a 787 add-on when they realised it couldn't be done to a decent enough standard within the target price they were aiming for. 

On the subject of Carenado/Alabeo, a couple of ones worth looking at are the Alabeo Piper Tomahawk and their Diamond DA42 Twin Star, both of which are very good value for money and quite realistic in most respects, the DA42 inparticular is a really good fun twin to have in your sim and the Tomahawk is an interesting alternative to the Cessna 152.

Can't go wrong with FlySimWare's stuff, very realistic and some interesting aeroplanes including a LearJet 35 and a Cessna C441. Accept no substitute, graphically they might not be amongst the best, but they certainly are when it comes to systems simulation.

For chopper heads, we can't forget the DodoSim Bell 206 JetRanger, which is the best whirlybird for FSX by a mile although sadly not for P3D.

Not a comprehensive list by any means, but certainly some of the good ones.

• Like 2

Alan Bradbury

I would agree with what Alan says above in particular his comments about the Quality Wings 787 which is an excellent product and also the Flysimware aircraft.

Another one I would add to the list is the iFly 737 which is also excellent and, unlike the PMDG aircraft, has the added benefit of a 50% price reduction for existing users if you move to P3D. I don't have their 747 as I already had the PMDG version in FSX but by all accounts it is also excellent and it too comes with a previous user discount for P3D. When I move to P3D I will be buying this 747 rather than paying the full high price again for the PMDG version.

As you are aware, although Carenado aircraft are beautifully modelled, their systems depth can leave a bit to be desired although many of the simpler GA aircraft with less complex systems are good in this regard. However their Saab 340 and Fokker 50 airliners are very nice and by using Bert's modifications with the payware GTN750 they really become very usable and can be recommended. But for turboprops, the Majestic Q400 sets the standard and achieves this with a relatively low VAS footprint which is an important consideration for FSX users.

Bill

Edited by scianoir

14 hours ago, Chock said:

QW Boeing 787 Dreamliner to the list of pretty realistic airliners

Sure, for me this is a new way in our simulation, actually mine preferred one, long time that a addon give me full satisfaction.

The feature in a long haul to jump to a other waypoint with the consideration of fuel consumption and the change in timing flight is a must, (and is perhaps I think) the first addon doing this work... Don't like to stay over ocean a lot of boring hours with autopilot engaged... 

At the other end of the scale from the heavy metal, two very nice add-on aeroplanes which work in FSX and P3D, and which are very inexpensive too, are Ant's Airplanes Tecnam Sierra and Eaglet, both of which are very good simulations of these popular trainer/light tourers.

Alan Bradbury