Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
kjjj11223344

Ortho4XP for FSX/P3D

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, GHD said:

You need to exclude the default hydro-polygons and re-define them to fit the photo textures.

 

Is that needed if you have a correct and fitting mesh?

By using the tmfviewer from the sdk, I noticed that no height data is saved in the generated .bgl files. And that's probably the reason why it is not displaying correct coastlines. The generated mesh by ortho4xp should be converted to geotiff or another supported file format (e.g. VectorGDB or SDE Geodatabase) and then compiled by resample.exe for additional landclass files. That does not happen in my version and i think its simply not yet implemented, is it? Do other users have same problems or is just something wrong configured?

I would love to help with programming, but I have sadly no experience with FSX related coding and with Python (only C/C++).

Best Regards,
Alex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, GHD said:

You need to exclude the default hydro-polygons and re-define them to fit the photo textures.

 

Ok, i went through the Terrain and Scenery SDK documentation and you're right 😉 Do you need to disable the default cvx files completely or is it possible to overlay them with new ones with higher priority in the scenery library?

Seems doable to implement automated mesh and vector compilation with resample and shp2vec with the data provided by Ortho4xp. Would be an awesome feature at least. @kjjj11223344 maybe if you have some spare time, you could take a look on it 🙂

Best regards,
Alex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can create exclusion polygons to exclude parts of the default hydro-polygon.

 

Edited by GHD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hi guys, 

I am still having issues with the program, I have followed the tutorial on youtube (making sure my cfg file points to the P3D SDK), basically when I click the "Batch Build" button, this message appears in the main program window: (I tried various zoom level, same message)

SX/P3D building requires both the tile and mask zooms to equal. Setting the mask zoom to the tile zoom of 12

 

Nothing happens after that (I waited for  1 hour), the only thing that seems to work is when I click the "All in one button" then it seems to work as per the youtube video,

 

Thanks in advance for any assistance.. I am really looking forward to try some tiles with the new A2A release today 🙂

Regards,

John.

Edited by 757FO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey John,

as the message is saying the watermask zoom level in the advanced configuration has to be equal to the base zoom level (top mid of the main window).
In addition make sure that you shift+leftclicked your tile in the "Tiles collection and management window" (globe pic) in order to download it 😉

Regards,
Alex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2018 at 9:31 AM, GHD said:

What about deleting/recreating the default hydro-polys?

 

I noticed that you asked a question about the same problem earlier but it was somehow left unanswered.

For now, I have used SBuilderX to create theese polys and shorelines manually by following this tutorial, but its a pretty high amount of work.

I looked up the supported file formats and those used by Ortho4XP and it is possible to convert the already downloaded OSM data in the supported ESRI shapefile format (also possible to download it directly in shapefile format, see: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Shapefiles). Afterwards you can just compile it with Shp2Vec (see examples in the SDK).
As @GHD mentioned, there are further adjustments needed, such as usage of exlusion polygons for shores, water, roads,... (basically for every polygon-type included in OSM data for the specific tile). It is possible to exclude all polygons of the selected type in one QMID Lvl11 square, regardless of the exclusion polygons size. The default polygons are saved in much bigger QMID Lvl 5 squares and with the use of exclusion polygons you dont have to delete them.

In addition, the unedited mesh can be directly generated by resample.exe with the provided .hgt files in the Elevation_data folder and these .ini file-source settings:

[Source]
Type = Raw
Layer = Elevation
SourceDir = "Elevation_Data\+XX+XXX"  ;edit relative location of hgt files to .ini file
SourceFile = "NXXWXXX.hgt"            ;edit name
ULXMAP = XX.X                  ;Longitude of upper left pixel
ULYMAP = XX.X  	               ;Latitude of upper left pixel
XDIM = 0.000833333333333333    ;Size of each pixel in X direction in degrees
YDIM = 0.000833333333333333    ;Size of each pixel in Y direction in degrees
BandLayout = BIL
ByteOrder = Motorola           ;Most significant byte first
nCols = 1201                   ;standard hgt dimensions
nRows = 1201
SampleType = SINT16            ;hgt uses 16 Bit signed integer
NULL = -32768

Source: FSDeveloper forum with some comments from the SDK doc. If needed, you can even use Multisource to combine all meshfiles to cover the whole tile.

This should be easily implementable in the source code with the downsides of using raw mesh and osm data instead of the already preprocessed data by Ortho4xp. With good code knowledge and some more coding work it should be possible to use the processed data as well.

Thats all what i can do 😉 I hope these information are helpful and will push the project forward 🙂


Regards,
Alex

Edited by Bearbus
additional polygon information
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Good afternoon, first of all I want to thank the fantastic work of orto4xp for prepar3d. I would like to know if it is possible to download orthophotos with zoomlevel 19, I have seen that the program only allows up to a maximum of 18 zoom. If what you have seen there is nothing to do with zoom 19 only in the vicinity of airports if activates that same option, but I would like to download the whole zone at zoom 19, I know it would occupy a lot of space but I do not care. Thank you very much. Sorry for my English;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2018 at 2:18 PM, Bearbus said:

Is that needed if you have a correct and fitting mesh?

By using the tmfviewer from the sdk, I noticed that no height data is saved in the generated .bgl files. And that's probably the reason why it is not displaying correct coastlines. The generated mesh by ortho4xp should be converted to geotiff or another supported file format (e.g. VectorGDB or SDE Geodatabase) and then compiled by resample.exe for additional landclass files. That does not happen in my version and i think its simply not yet implemented, is it? Do other users have same problems or is just something wrong configured?

I would love to help with programming, but I have sadly no experience with FSX related coding and with Python (only C/C++).

Best Regards,
Alex

Yes, right now the program does nothing with mesh. So there are issues wherever the default coastlines are incorrect. I decided to implement water masks in the inf files for resample such that default fsx terrain appears whenever there is water according to OSM. Unfortunately, if there is no water in fsx, then default fsx land will appear instead. I will implement an option to implement water masking by adding wave animations in the future.

 

The mesh thing I might look into in the future as well, I am just very occupied with school now unfortunately. Any help with coding would be great 😉. There is actually a DLL the program relies on that is written in C++, if you want to play around that and make it better (I am currently not happy with the night texture creation results).


Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpgsig_TheBusIveBeenWaitingFor.jpg

Alfredo Terrero

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2018 at 1:53 PM, 757FO said:

hi guys, 

I am still having issues with the program, I have followed the tutorial on youtube (making sure my cfg file points to the P3D SDK), basically when I click the "Batch Build" button, this message appears in the main program window: (I tried various zoom level, same message)

SX/P3D building requires both the tile and mask zooms to equal. Setting the mask zoom to the tile zoom of 12

 

Nothing happens after that (I waited for  1 hour), the only thing that seems to work is when I click the "All in one button" then it seems to work as per the youtube video,

 

Thanks in advance for any assistance.. I am really looking forward to try some tiles with the new A2A release today 🙂

Regards,

John.

It sounds like you are not shift + left clicking, which is required to select tiles. I should have made this more clear in the video.That zoom level message is more a warning than anything. The program automatically sets the zoom levels to be equal to each other, I should make that more clear.


Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpgsig_TheBusIveBeenWaitingFor.jpg

Alfredo Terrero

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2018 at 8:51 AM, tonnysur said:

 

Good afternoon, first of all I want to thank the fantastic work of orto4xp for prepar3d. I would like to know if it is possible to download orthophotos with zoomlevel 19, I have seen that the program only allows up to a maximum of 18 zoom. If what you have seen there is nothing to do with zoom 19 only in the vicinity of airports if activates that same option, but I would like to download the whole zone at zoom 19, I know it would occupy a lot of space but I do not care. Thank you very much. Sorry for my English;)

Hello, yes, I am not sure why Oscar removed zl 19 in v1.3 of ortho4xp (which is the base code this port is based on). Adding zl 19 shouldn't be more than a couple lines of code (and praying nothing breaks ;)). I might consider this in the future, or make a pull request so the regular v 1.3 of ortho4xp has this as well.


Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpgsig_TheBusIveBeenWaitingFor.jpg

Alfredo Terrero

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/9/2018 at 11:59 PM, kjjj11223344 said:

Hello, yes, I am not sure why Oscar removed zl 19 in v1.3 of ortho4xp (which is the base code this port is based on). Adding zl 19 shouldn't be more than a couple lines of code (and praying nothing breaks ;)). I might consider this in the future, or make a pull request so the regular v 1.3 of ortho4xp has this as well.

Thanks for answering, then I'm looking forward to the modification for zl19.
Thank you;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was having issues with Ortho4XP not creating the ADDON_SCENERY folder(s).  Then I installed ImageMagick-7.0.8-10-Q8-x64-dll in the "dist" folder.  It is working now.  However, it keeps opening resample.exe in separate windows and takes focus away from my other windows - like while I'm typing this!  It's annoying and I don't know anyway around it.

But resample.exe is finally loading and the folder was created as it should...after installing ImageMagick


UAL770.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2018 at 12:11 PM, MikeWCFL said:

I was having issues with Ortho4XP not creating the ADDON_SCENERY folder(s).  Then I installed ImageMagick-7.0.8-10-Q8-x64-dll in the "dist" folder.  It is working now.  However, it keeps opening resample.exe in separate windows and takes focus away from my other windows - like while I'm typing this!  It's annoying and I don't know anyway around it.

But resample.exe is finally loading and the folder was created as it should...after installing ImageMagick

This is because it spawns 8 resample processes by default to speed things up. You can change the number of resample processes spawned by changing max_resample_processes=

in the ortho4xp.cfg. I will look into making it so that the spawned process windows dont obtain focus ;).


Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpgsig_TheBusIveBeenWaitingFor.jpg

Alfredo Terrero

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great work on this.. but one question i'm not sure if it was asked.. for pre-existing Ortho4XP tiles that were downloaded already for XP11 (i have many TB worth).. can this version 1.30 somehow be used with those to generate the bgls and thereby to avoid recreating tiles that already exist (ie: so both xp and p3d can use the same data)?  Or are the bgls effectively the (only) new tiles either way (for p3d only) so no way to save space here?


P3D Settings (GEX, UTX, Vector, FTX, REX)

P3D v3.3 VR thread; XP11 SMP vs Default vs XE(video)

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370; 850watt Seasonic psu; SL Delid 8700k 5.1 at 1.39 and avx-1; F4-3200C15D-32GTZ @1.41 and 3400; TT 3.0 Riing Ultimate Water-64C Prime95B(24c ambient)-70c normally; Thermaltake v51 Case; Evga 1080FTW Hybrid Water; VR-Rift/Vive;

Flight-Stew | Tech-Stew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had one other question.. when i compile a BL ZL16 tile.. seems the output is addon scenery folder under the tile number and just a scenery folder.. this is all that is needed correct (the scenery folder).. how is everyone arranging their tiles.. are you moving them and merging them (or would this kill the ability to recompile later i suppose).. seems that there will end up being a ton of scenery.cfg entries for one area if not merging.. ie: state of PA could have 10 alone.. the file size also seems small.. around 2.5GB for one 16 level tile.

 

 


P3D Settings (GEX, UTX, Vector, FTX, REX)

P3D v3.3 VR thread; XP11 SMP vs Default vs XE(video)

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370; 850watt Seasonic psu; SL Delid 8700k 5.1 at 1.39 and avx-1; F4-3200C15D-32GTZ @1.41 and 3400; TT 3.0 Riing Ultimate Water-64C Prime95B(24c ambient)-70c normally; Thermaltake v51 Case; Evga 1080FTW Hybrid Water; VR-Rift/Vive;

Flight-Stew | Tech-Stew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    53%
    $13,405.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...