Sign in to follow this  
RXP

404 ERROR - New Garmin GTN Trainer 6.50 - Readme First

1 hour ago, RXP said:

Overall, this is looking good so far on our end, soon in yours!

Thanks for the quick update! Really looking forward to getting to try the GTN750 out this weekend then. Always awesome to have quick and in-depth updates from a developer like this.

@RXP,

If I have understood correctly then:
-Wait to download the GTN 750 for X-Plane from the http://www.reality-xp.com/ until all problems are over and a modified version is available.
- then download it from your site.
-Delete the existing directory on my 😄 drive (c: \ RealityXP).
- reinstall using e-commerce installer.
-the New Garmin GTN Trainer 6.50 will then automatically be downloaded and installed?
-The plugin of the gtn 750 will then be installed in the directory F: \ X-Plane 11 \ Resources \ plugins where my xplane11 is installed? Without error 404?

do I see it that way?

do we get a signal when the adjustments have been made?

Regards,

@jefken

Edited by RXP

banner_f33_2.pngGV9Ut3S.jpg

X-Plane 11 -My favorite aircraft F33A BONANZA XPLANE 11 REP , CAR PREMIER 1A

Any updated timeline? I hate to seem pushy but $50 is a lot of money to have spent on a product I can't install and use since I purchased it a week ago. 

You won't be losing your money - be patient.

David Porrett

@jefken should you want, you can already download the GTN Trainer 6.50 and 'play' with it until we release our update. Once released, it will be an updated e-commerce installer with the latest version, which you re-install using the purchase key/password.

Now, about a status update on the update:

First let me assure you we're working very hard to bring you the update as fast as possible, days and nights, week-ends and even labour day, literally. Updating our code to support the new trainer was in the end fast and relatively easy, hence, my enthusiasm in this thread so far. However, what we didn't suspected is how much work and time would this require to support the new file redirections.

You see, the trainer is the actual device code, wrapped in a Win32 app. For this to work, everything file related passes through a 'virtual file system' inside the garmin trainer.

You might have noticed previous versions used to install 'shortcuts' in the ProgramData folder to the various DB and application files. However, trainer v6.50 no longer installs these shortcuts, it creates them at runtime when started via the garmin 'Launcher'.

Although we didn't relied on these shortcuts in the past, so as to stay immune to any future trainer file-redirection changes, as well as to offer fine-grained file override(s) (re: environment variables that lets you specify where-to), it appears our file system redirection is not working properly and this is what we've been working on for the last 3 days in a row.

We could create the shortcuts links at runtime too, but given the experience on this forums that our customers are installing the trainer in some 'exotic' places from time to time, or they disable UAC, or whatever they do, I feel this is not reliable a solution enough and we are therefore pursuing another avenue.

The good news is that as of now, all seems working fine and stable on our test systems but the charts. I have good hope we'll solve this quickly now (relatively).

Lesson learned: we'll make sure to review the v6.21 re-installation process once this is released so as to ensure there is a reliable back-up solution next time Garmin updates the GTN trainer.

I'm sorry for the setback with this update, but hang-on tight, it is coming up and we are not abandoning you.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Update: CHARTS are now working!

We need a little more time to cleanup the code base prior publishing the update, including testing FPLN import and checklists, but it is getting closer than ever now.

• Like 2

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Hey Jean Luc, no problem, once the situation is explained it can be seen with understanding. That´s my personal point of view. So, as far as I'm concerned, take the time necessary to finish the job correctly. Thanks for the effort

Juan

• Like 1

Fascinating insight into what goes on behind the scenes for us non-programmers.

• Like 1

David Porrett

I purchased the GTN earlier today and was soooooooooo confused. I am very glad I found this thread and understand the efforts you are going through - I will check back here once in a while and see when all is well. Once that happens, I predict I will still need a lot of hand-holding to get it operational, so... thanks again for all you do.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RXP said:

@jefken should you want, you can already download the GTN Trainer 6.50 and 'play' with it until we release our update. Once released, it will be an updated e-commerce installer with the latest version, which you re-install using the purchase key/password.

Thank you very much for your expert reply.

As you say, I downloaded and installed the GTN Trainer 6.50.

I am now waiting for a call to install the "updated e-commerce installer with the latest version, which you re-install using the purchase key / password."

I hope that the installation of the gtn750 will then run smoothly.

Regards

@RXP,

I know the gtn 750 and 650 well since I already used it in fsx and I missed it in Xplane 11, so using it will not be a problem for me. The only difference with fsx will be the integration of the gtn 750 into the aircraft of Xplane11.
I see on this forum that there are whining or no devices where the gtn 750 has been integrated. So I hope that the gtn is just as usable as in fsx.
I left Fsx because it is not developed further and is replaced by prepare3d. I already use Xplane from version 10 because they had a 64 bit version.

17 hours ago, RXP said:

Update: CHARTS are now working!

We need a little more time to cleanup the code base prior publishing the update, including testing FPLN import and checklists, but it is getting closer than ever now.

My finger is on the buy now waiting for this update, no extra pressure 🙂

• Like 1

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

Hi, another quick update:

We're now done with the code update and the first few tests. Given the time (and my exhaustion), we'll work on the packaging phase starting tomorrow morning, which means updating the installer code to get the latest trainer, updating a little bit the user's manual, and doing final flight tests with the actual final release build, right before publishing it online!

Please note the focus on this build is solely GTN Trainer v6.50 compatibility: it may break compatibility with GTN Trainer v6.41 and v6.21 because we simply don't want you to make you wait any further just because of older GTN trainers. Nevertheless, after official release, we'll make sure to review all code changes against v6.21, at least,  because the installer is still available online on the Garmin website, and this provides a sound backup solution for the next time Garmin updates the trainer.

Hopefully, there are nearly 0 bugs in the existing product but there are still a couple items that were asked for which will be added in a subsequent build shortly after unless we can quickly add them tomorrow.

• Like 5