Sign in to follow this  
Nigge

Brakes overheating to easily?

34 minutes ago, Bluestar said:

Kyle,

I was having a brake overheat issue with the B747-8 using FSUIPC and had to go in and adjust the SLOPE.  

That's actually a really good idea. Never thought to do that with mine. I just try to be careful using them, but the slope would be a good approximation of having force feedback.

Kyle Rodgers

I tried the slope adjustment with -10 and made an overweight landing. Everything works well, no overheating, no deflated tires.

thanks for support to everybody who is willing to share the experiences with this fantastic product.

Greetings Andrew Bowler

5 hours ago, bob34 said:

Did the slope adjustments work well? Would you be able to share the curve you're using? Thx!

It is much better. I currently have it on 6, but it will need some more adjustment.  

• Like 1

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

Had the same issue just now for the first time. Just bear in mind that braking a 747 from 60 or 70 knots to 0 should not cause brake temperature problems given decent starting brake temperatures (e.g. coming in from a long haul) Whether you stand on the brakes or slowly bring it to a stop, it's the same amount of kinetic energy. Now if the anti skid can't cope and you skid and rupture tires is another story. In principle, having FSUIPC set to super sensitive or not shouldn't make a difference. However, I'll try these settings and hope it helps...

Xander

Xander Koote

All round aviation geek

1st Officer Boeing 777

Same happens for me, after each and every landing in the -8 my brakes glow and i barley make it to the gate/parking. From 9 flights the brakes where 9 times overheated with the same i do in all of those 700 flights before. And from that 9 times i 3 times didnt make it to the gate.

And its only in the -8. I have nearly 3k hour in the 747-400 (not bragging, just saying...) and never seen this. Well, of course i have seen it but only when i fooled around or really knew i did something wrong. But never in a normal situation with autobrake 2 and way beyond landing weight limit etc. As well i dont have any fsuipc settings ( i dont even have it, besides the free version). I never did anything to my joystick calibration either over the last 8 months.

Btw, i dont have any force feedback too. Or any curves or something. This is the exact same settings i flew the -400 all the time. P3D 4.3, Thrustmaster TM16000M.

Edited by SaenchaySor

BetaTeamB.png

A famous quote from Apple, “your holding it wrong”.  When it comes to the -8 brakes, your using them wrong, LOL. 

• Like 2

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

11 hours ago, Wise87 said:

A famous quote from Apple, “your holding it wrong”.  When it comes to the -8 brakes, your using them wrong, LOL. 

Quite a bit of difference there, honestly.

You can cook the brakes off on the real plane if you're abusing the brakes the way people are used to in the sim, honestly.

Realism based on the physics of all of it, or brakes that are nearly impossible to abuse just because people aren't using proper techniques?

Kyle Rodgers

An exact copy of this thread ran for months after the 777 came out.  Eventually folks figure out how to cope with the realism and stop blaming the product.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thats is not the point i think. If something doesnt overheat in 3k hours in 700 flights and suddenly it does then its either something wrong or its simply that a -8 is sooooo much more different in this behavior than a -400. I mean, i cannot know, im not an aircraft engineer nor pilot but im still saying the same. I cannot fly the -8 the way i did fly the -400 for such a long time in so many flights. ANd infact i didnt find the way to brake here yet, without to get the brake temp message. What you want us to do? Do a stop & go braking like in a car? I bet even then it happens.

There seems to be no way. 

Edited by SaenchaySor

BetaTeamB.png

2 hours ago, SaenchaySor said:

What you want us to do? Do a stop & go braking like in a car? I bet even then it happens.

No - ideally, treat the plane like you'd treat any other thing with brakes.

Just like you don't use the brakes to control speed on the highway/freeway/motorway/whateverway, you use throttle.

Your brakes slow you down by absorbing the energy and dissipating it as heat.

F = m*a

Your 748 is a lot of "m," and if you stab at the brakes to "a" quickly (or "-a" as it were), then you get lots of F. Lots of F means lots of heat.

It's easy to get a feel for your brakes when you can feel them "press back." In the sim, you don't get that feedback, particularly because most hardware brakes don't have much resistance on the springs (and further, don't have any simulation of force feedback). If you pay attention to how much brake you're laying down, I think you'll start to see you're actually getting a bit too punchy with them.

Kyle Rodgers

During VATSIM's hugely popular "Cross the Pond" event today, there was a very long wait from pushback to takeoff (I was number 30 or so in the conga line at KJFK!)

Twice during this extended taxi process in my 747-400, I had multiple tires blow out due to severely overheated brakes, and had to use the maintenance page to repair the tires and cool the brakes.

I certainly wasn't doing anything unusual w.r.t. braking. Nothing I haven't done hundreds of times in the part.

This is new behavior since I updated the QotS II to the latest version (i.e. after the 747-8 release).

If you need me to do anything on my end to assist determining root cause, please let me know.

- Bill

- William Ruppel, CYTZ, VATSIM 816871

Hi Bill, I recommend you modify your taxi procedures.  Normal taxi should not require braking, and if it does then use steady light braking.... don't pump them.  Normal taxi means you are going around turns like a 90 at only 10 kts (from a Boeing source I have) and speeds up to 20 kts might be used on a long straight path.  But if you are going to slow for traffic ahead then you have to put extra space between you and the aircraft ahead of you.  I just did a long taxi from the cargo ramp at PHNL to 08R with 4 90s and one greater than 90 and I managed to get to the runway with only a little warmth on the gear... the index was a 4.  It can be done.

Dan Downs KCRP

Riding brakes is a perennial problem on all Jet airliners. It seems wrong, but you really do have to brake to nearly a standstill then let off completely. The feedback to prevent severe braking is your straps and the word not allowed taking of the guy or gal next to you. You soon get the feel for it!

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

Scan 3XS Laptop i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 64GB DDR4, RTX2080.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!

20 minutes ago, MarkJHarris said:

Riding brakes is a perennial problem on all Jet airliners.

This is a pretty encompassing statement. Can you elaborate on this?  🙂

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam