Sign in to follow this  
Nigge

Brakes overheating to easily?

Hi!

Had a rather strange issue yesterday when landing on LEIB... I landed with autobrake 2 and full reverser, (cant really remember the landing weight but I was not even close to max landing weight).

And autobrake engaged without problems and I waited until something like 80kts ground speed, then I used manual brakes to increase braking a little bit to be able to use a earlier exit that first planned. However right after that. (used the brakes for perhaps 2 or 3 seconds) Then I got an Brake temp warning message followed by all of the main wheels "exploding" which caused me to be stationary on the exit...

I did a landing after this with the same weights but only used autobrake and reverser, no manual braking at all. And that time the brake temp didnt even rise the slightest bit.

Im a bit confused, is the 747-8's brakes really that "sensitive" that 2 second fairly hard braking really should explode the tires?. Then there is no chance of getting away with a RTO...:)

Thanks
/Niklas Eriksson

Niklas Eriksson

Use autobrake 3, it sorted it for me.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

Same here. Landed really soft in Frankfurt (-45fpm) with an empty plane (delivery flight from Everett), 15.4t of fuel remaining, Autobrake Level 2, reverser until 70kt. Then I pushed soft my pedals (Saitek) for manual braking. Everything was fine and I taxied to my parking position. After 1 minute I got the Eicas Message „Brake Temp“, one minute later the tires begins to deflate. What I did wrong?

v4h2q7yo.jpg

Edited by airlinetycoon

Greetings Andrew Bowler

FSUIPC, calibration, or brake abuse.

Without force feedback, it's difficult to tell, but do keep in mind that, while it would take a lot of effort to throw down 100% braking in the real plane, it's quite easy in the sim do do it even unconsciously.

Kyle Rodgers

5 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

Without force feedback, it's difficult to tell, but do keep in mind that, while it would take a lot of effort to throw down 100% braking in the real plane, it's quite easy in the sim do do it even unconsciously.

I understand. I use the same FSUIPC-aircraft Profile with the 747-400s without any issues. I believe the calibration is not the problem.

Greetings Andrew Bowler

2 minutes ago, airlinetycoon said:

I understand. I use the same FSUIPC-aircraft Profile with the 747-400s without any issues. I believe the calibration is not the problem.

Right, but the braking functionality is the same as the 400, honestly...so...something's wrong on your system that isn't wrong on mine (and many others). I don't use FSUIPC, and it's a common cause of stuff like this, so it's a logical first start.

Belief of an issue doesn't usually correlate well to actuality of an issue (or lack thereof). I'd recommend having a look around. I can't tell you how many people have told us the livery installer isn't working and swear up and down that they have the "show all variants" box checked. When I ask for a screenshot, guess what I see. A belief that is not founded in reality.

• Like 1

Kyle Rodgers

9 minutes ago, airlinetycoon said:

@all other guys: maybe someone has a valuable Suggestion for me

Well, I think Kyle's suggestion was valuable!

• Like 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Be careful applying brakes on the landing rollout.... just because you're below 60 kts doesn't mean that there isn't enough kinetic energy to overheat the brakes.  Use autobraking until slowed to below 40 kts and then carefully apply toe pressure on the pedals until you see the brake message and keep the pressure light.  In all honesty, the only time I've had hot brakes is when autobraking failed during testing and since that was fixed it's been normal.  Certainly a lot easier to brake than the 777.

Avoid the urge to manually brake when reverse thrust is removed, and allow autobraking to take you down to 30-40 kts.

I do not use FSUIPC for the brake axis.

Edited by downscc

Dan Downs KCRP

Thank you. I have the same experience with 777 and the fslabs A320/319. It needs a lot of feeling, and it works. Whats suprise me is the fact that I have not such issues with the 747-400. anyway, I will check my config.

@DaveCT2003 yeah, different views. Please keep in mind, I never said, there is something wrong with the product. I expect a bit more support for a $ 200 product than to hear, "hey everything is perfect for us, check your config, idio(x)t".

Edited by airlinetycoon
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Greetings Andrew Bowler

1 hour ago, airlinetycoon said:

I expect a bit more support for a $ 200 product than to hear, "hey everything is perfect for us, check your config, idio(x)t".

Very, very clearly not what I said.

Pointing out the statistics behind the existing situation (there's a strong correlation between FSUIPC, that setup, and this kind of issue) versus your assertion (calibration is not the problem) is not telling you that you're an idiot - implied or otherwise. If I'm trying to help and I get resistance, I will naturally have to press through that.

I'd prefer to not drag you through additional and unnecessary steps to troubleshoot, and instead address the logic of what I'm suggesting to get you to a solution more quickly.

I hear it often that people don't like hearing that the problem is on their own setup, which I don't understand. Looking at our support traffic, a good 90-95% of the traffic is driven by misconfiguration and user error. It's not an accusation - it's simply a fact. To be honest, in the grander scheme of things, this is actually a more desirable situation for you, as an end user, as these kinds of things can be very quick to resolve: delete this file, change this setting, tick that box... Things that are issues on our end - particularly when code-related - can take much longer, and delay enjoyment of the product.

I get it. It's not nice to hear "this isn't our problem, and is very likely a config item on your end," but facts are facts (and stats are stats). In this case, this fact is actually in your favor.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Kyle Rodgers

4 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

Very, very clearly not what I said.

It doesn't matter that it wasn't said word for word - it's the way he walked away feeling after posting a question ... like so many other times I've seen it here ...  he probably regrets asking the question in the first place.

I think it's a very good observation that the brakes overheated in what feels like normal use in the -8 when they weren't overheating in the -400. I noticed the same exact thing.
A lot of times people have observations and they want to bounce them off other users to see if they are experiencing the same and maybe pick up a shortcut to save them hours of troubleshooting.
Bouncing it off other users isn't a bad first step to troubleshooting. Only in this forum it seems to be a regrettable action.

• Like 11

Bob Donovan - KBOS

• Hardware: i7 11700k on ROG Strix Z590 ► Asus ROG GeForce 3070 ►FDS 737 FMC ► VRInsight 737 Overhead ► GoFlight TQ6 ADV ► Thrustmaster Warthog
  • Software: P3D ► MSFS ► XP11 ► DCS World

14 hours ago, bob34 said:

he probably regrets asking the question in the first place.

How, and why?

An assertion was made. I said that it is likely a config issue on your end, as, statistically, we are not seeing any issues that support his point.

So: assertion based on fact/experience (90-95% of that support traffic is config issues); and an additional/supporting fact of the lack of support traffic on this specific topic.

Please point to the location where someone could, logically feel wronged by my use of facts.

14 hours ago, bob34 said:

A lot of times people have observations and they want to bounce them off other users to see if they are experiencing the same and maybe pick up a shortcut to save them hours of troubleshooting.

This is fine, and encouraged.

...but you'll note that the other responses have been echoing what I wrote. Why? Because what I wrote was written from a factual perspective, and nothing more.

Kyle Rodgers

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 9:14 AM, scandinavian13 said:

Kyle,

I was having a brake overheat issue with the B747-8 using FSUIPC and had to go in and adjust the SLOPE.  

• Like 1

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

30 minutes ago, Bluestar said:

Kyle,

I was having a brake overheat issue with the B747-8 using FSUIPC and had to go in and adjust the SLOPE.  

Wilhelm - Did the slope adjustments work well? Would you be able to share the curve you're using? Thx!

Bob Donovan - KBOS

• Hardware: i7 11700k on ROG Strix Z590 ► Asus ROG GeForce 3070 ►FDS 737 FMC ► VRInsight 737 Overhead ► GoFlight TQ6 ADV ► Thrustmaster Warthog
  • Software: P3D ► MSFS ► XP11 ► DCS World