Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatcund

ASCA textures?

Recommended Posts

I'm looking to get nicer clouds...  I made a post in the screenshot forum titled wild blue yonder and it's using default clouds.

How do people like ASCA?


|Ryan Butterworth|

| i7 4790K@4.4GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA GTX 1080Ti | ASUS Z97-Pro | 1TB 860 Evo | 500GB 840 Evo Win10 Pro | 1TB Samsung 7200rpm | Seasonic X750W |

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Oh boy - here we go again - I'm tempted to just say search through Avsim Ryan but you've been around long enough to know that. 😀

I like them and prefer them to what's currently available.

You will now get many opinions in agreement and disagreement. Then we have to bring in the extra's like Envtex and PTA and TomatoShade.

So, since I'm first - ASP4, ASCA & Envtex are my personal favorites. Great looking, very realistic and performance friendly PLUS they were designed to work with ASP4 dynamically.

But it's your eyes that will be looking at them.

Vic

  • Like 1

 

P3D#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 2080ti 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
P3D#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors
 

Share this post


Link to post

I like it a lot. It's simple and integrates into Active Sky so you don't ever know it's running or even have to open it up. Start your Active Sky and Cloud Art will do it's thing for you. Clouds look really good obviously and look good flying through them.

  • Like 2

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it be? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for FSX? What's the minimum requirements? Can I be a beta tester?

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, vgbaron said:

You will now get many opinions in agreement and disagreement. Then we have to bring in the extra's like Envtex and PTA and TomatoShade.

Ha! Too funny. I was typing my reply as above, and when I was writing I started to mention "other" options but stopped myself and hit the delete key a few times and said to myself, nah it is not needed and will only start something, I'll just answer the question 😄


Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it be? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for FSX? What's the minimum requirements? Can I be a beta tester?

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, PWJT8D said:

Ha! Too funny. I was typing my reply as above, and when I was writing I started to mention "other" options but stopped myself and hit the delete key a few times and said to myself, nah it is not needed and will only start something, I'll just answer the question 😄

I was tempted to hide the entire subject as it's been gone over many times but that wouldn't be fair to new people or others who haven't seen prior discussions.

It's just that it is purely an individual opinion. There is no wrong answer.

Vic

  • Like 1

 

P3D#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 2080ti 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
P3D#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors
 

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah thanks just looking for recent opinions.  Search is always available but outdated usually., and people's opinions change too.

Seems like a no brainer then.  I've played with tomato shade (you might have seen my "inverted russian" post at the ss forums - but I've found that shader mod wrecks sunset time, so I've deleted it for now)


|Ryan Butterworth|

| i7 4790K@4.4GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA GTX 1080Ti | ASUS Z97-Pro | 1TB 860 Evo | 500GB 840 Evo Win10 Pro | 1TB Samsung 7200rpm | Seasonic X750W |

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

I'm looking to get nicer clouds...  I made a post in the screenshot forum titled wild blue yonder and it's using default clouds.

How do people like ASCA?

I use REX soft clouds with kiwi's freeware sky textures & sun mod.

ASP4 & REX SC is what I recommend.

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, DJJose said:

I use REX soft clouds with kiwi's freeware sky textures & sun mod.

ASP4 & REX SC is what I recommend.

You have a link to those kiwi mods?  I can't find much at the avsim library.  Looks like I actually have a rendition of soft clouds I purchased but when I login with my account I can't see it.  I do have an email with the info though... hmmm

Edited by ryanbatcund

|Ryan Butterworth|

| i7 4790K@4.4GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA GTX 1080Ti | ASUS Z97-Pro | 1TB 860 Evo | 500GB 840 Evo Win10 Pro | 1TB Samsung 7200rpm | Seasonic X750W |

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Hi Folks,

My sky cocktail of choice for a while now:

  • ASP4
  • ASCA for cloud textures.
  • ENVTEX for other textures.
  • ENVSHADE

     *** I have REX TD - I don't use it.

Regards,
Scott

  • Upvote 1

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

You have a link to those kiwi mods?  I can't find much at the avsim library.  Looks like I actually have a rendition of soft clouds I purchased but when I login with my account I can't see it.  I do have an email with the info though... hmmm

http://www.skyforsim.ga/p3dv4

If you have your REX SC code, just send Reed an email and ask for a link.

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Folks,

My sky cocktail of choice for a while now:

  • ASP4
  • ASCA for cloud textures.
  • ENVTEX for other textures.
  • ENVSHADE

     *** I have REX TD - I don't use it.

Regards,
Scott

What's your PC specs?  Would my GTX 980 have issues running all that?


|Ryan Butterworth|

| i7 4790K@4.4GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA GTX 1080Ti | ASUS Z97-Pro | 1TB 860 Evo | 500GB 840 Evo Win10 Pro | 1TB Samsung 7200rpm | Seasonic X750W |

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, ryanbatcund said:

What's your PC specs?  Would my GTX 980 have issues running all that?

Hi Ryan,

LOL - I don't think so...

2700K@4.7Ghz GTX970

ENVTEX  has a nice feature where it combines it's custom textures with ASCA...

Personally - I think ASCA always had the best looking clouds even after trying others... 

The inexpensive ENVSHADE looks real good to me as well...

Just my two cents and opinions vary - I'm pretty happy with my setup...

Regards,

Scott

 

 


imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, DJJose said:

http://www.skyforsim.ga/p3dv4

If you have your REX SC code, just send Reed an email and ask for a link.

Found it thanks


|Ryan Butterworth|

| i7 4790K@4.4GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA GTX 1080Ti | ASUS Z97-Pro | 1TB 860 Evo | 500GB 840 Evo Win10 Pro | 1TB Samsung 7200rpm | Seasonic X750W |

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Ryan,

LOL - I don't think so...

2700K@4.7Ghz GTX970

ENVTEX  has a nice feature where it combines it's custom textures with ASCA...

Personally - I think ASCA always had the best looking clouds even after trying others... 

The inexpensive ENVSHADE looks real good to me as well...

Just my two cents and opinions vary - I'm pretty happy with my setup...

Regards,

Scott

 

 

Alright thanks Scott...  I give ASCA a try - it's supposed to integrate with ASP4 anyway


|Ryan Butterworth|

| i7 4790K@4.4GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA GTX 1080Ti | ASUS Z97-Pro | 1TB 860 Evo | 500GB 840 Evo Win10 Pro | 1TB Samsung 7200rpm | Seasonic X750W |

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

IMO

I think ASCA's biggest weakness is the clouds &  sky textures. Cloud structures are its greatest asset but work best with it's own cloud sets. It's the reason why most users have to buy ENVTEX to get better looking skies, but the clouds do not look very good. This has not changed and probably won't until a new version of ASCA is released.

ENVTEX will be releasing an update and it is supposed to allow you to use ENVTEX clouds with ASCA in dynamic modes.

You might also want to check out REX SkyForce. It works well with ASP4. Right now those two addons are probably the best combo.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    28%
    $7,170.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...