Sign in to follow this  
Deltaair1212

Less frames after hardware upgrade?

Hey guys I just need to know where the old chipset driver is in device manager. After I delete the old one I’ll download the new one and test my sim. If that doesn’t work I’ll start fresh and wipe my os and reinstall. Thanks 

In device manager have tried the windows search for better driver example Intel driver Asus host Intel Drivers for each motherboard. 

PS did you run the ASUS disc that came with the motherboard it should have the drivers on it. 

Edited by rjfry

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

You need to figure out whether this is a P3D problem, or a system problem.  

Test something other than P3D.  Try a stress test like Prime 95 or IntelBurnTest.  Monitor your temperatures and clock speeds using Coretemp and CPU-Z during the test to see if you're running into thermal throttling issues.  That chip should run at 4.3GHz with all cores active in non-AVX workloads, or 3.7GHz with all cores active in AVX workloads.  If you see your temps hit 100C or higher while testing, or if your chip's clockspeeds drop below the above figures, you have a thermal problem and need to examine your cooler install.

Let us know the results of this testing and we can go from there.  

• Like 1

Make sure your Power Management mode is Prefer maximum performance in the Nvidia Control Panel.

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

Well I ran some tests with CoreTemp and my temps honestly seemed ok. I downloaded the latest chip driver so I’m going to take my sim out for a longer test run to see if it helped any. My temps were between 30 Celsius and 60 Celsius on the ground with overcast rainy weather with ASP4 and REX SF in the background. I will run the same route I did yesterday and see if I get any slow FPS while at cruise altitude and report back. Thanks for everyone’s help. Hopefully this issue is resolved. 

After I tried a few suggestions on here which included installing the chipset driver, nothing seemed to speed up my new CPU. I did some digging around online and found that typically a new motherboard and CPU swap generally calls for a OS reset. There are some ways to work around that, but typically if you want your new setup to run fresh then it’s better to wipe the OS and start over. So that is the route I took. Once I get my sim back up to speed which should take a day or two, I will post my results 

On 10/10/2018 at 5:15 AM, lownslo said:

Hmmm... that may have been the luckiest day of your life! 😁

No not really. I've switched boards numerous times over the years without reinstalling the OS. Simply a case of removing the old motherboard drivers, chipset drivers etc and then installing the latest for the new board. Never any issues. 

Edited by martin-w

3 hours ago, martin-w said:

Simply a case of removing the old motherboard drivers, chipset drivers etc and then installing the latest for the new board.

Yes, but he didn't do any of that.  Which could be his problem now... or not.  Hopefully he gets it squared away in short order.

11 minutes ago, lownslo said:

Yes, but he didn't do any of that.  Which could be his problem now... or not.  Hopefully he gets it squared away in short order.

I did. But it didn’t make any difference with my performance lol

Wait... a bit confusing.  In your very first post you noted that you changed the CPU and motherboard, then went flying.  Didn't say anything about following the procedure Martin described... removing the old drivers, installing your new hardware, then installing the new drivers.  If you did indeed follow proper procedure as Martin described, then you needn't have gone through the driver dance as the first step to troubleshoot the problem.

1 hour ago, lownslo said:

deleted

Edited by martin-w

On 10/9/2018 at 7:41 PM, Deltaair1212 said:

I installed the newest drivers via the web option in the bios and it said the installation was successful. And you’re saying I need to wipe my whole computer? When I moved from my i7-4820K to my 6700K a few years back I never had an issue like this. I just inserted the new processor and off I went with better performance...

I did mention that I downloaded the latest drivers for bios and I mentioned I downloaded the current chipset driver in another post lol. I don’t see how people are confused about what I wrote...

Have you turned on XMP in the BIOS for your RAM?

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

12 hours ago, vortex681 said:

Have you turned on XMP in the BIOS for your RAM?

I did. I think I figured out my issue. When I first got my new processor the first thing I did before flying was overclocking it. But not to 4.2 or 4.3, I went straight to 5.0. I admit that was really stupid but I was following this online 8700K processor OC guide. I now know that OC wasn’t stable because every now and then when I would turn off my computer or restart it, windows would shut down but my computer would still be running and not want to fully power down. Even my screen would go to sleep but my fans and motherboard were still cranking away. So I’d have to shut my rig off manually (which I hate doing) and wait ten seconds and turn it back on. Before BIOS screen would show I’d get this message saying my rig powered on into safe mode because of a bad setting which I now was the idiotic OC. So I now have a mild 4.3 OC and my computer is now happier. I also OC’d my RAM to 3000mhz which before it was 2666mhz. 

• Like 1