Sign in to follow this  
shivers9

9900K/9700K Overclock performance review

Thanks Larry,

Nothing specific indeed, 2.7% PC growth is "explosive"? ... seems like corporate lingo on how to say a lot but not actually say anything ... so I take away from that as 50/50 for 9900K this year.

Cheers, Rob.

7 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

All this craziness..... What ever happened to Peltier coolers?

Apparently they draw so much power they aren't practical. Condensation a big issue too. I did hear about a hybrid system using a Peltier, with software to monitor temp to avoid condensation. 

• Like 1

Der8auer tested the i9 to find out why they run so hot he found when he de-lidded the chip it`s thicker than the 8600k, he even ground one down found it dropped the temp and could not understand why Intel made the chip so thick.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

32 minutes ago, rjfry said:

Der8auer tested the i9 to find out why they run so hot he found when he de-lidded the chip it`s thicker than the 8600k, he even ground one down found it dropped the temp and could not understand why Intel made the chip so thick.

Page one... 😀

2 hours ago, rjfry said:

he even ground one down found it dropped the temp and could not understand why Intel made the chip so thick.

One theory is that the thickness would make them less prone to cracking during the solder heating process......

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

2 hours ago, martin-w said:

Page one... 😀

What I've learned after reading this thread, in it's entirety.

1) I can do p3d 4.3 in all its glory at 5.3 ...uh huh 🙂   no medal for you Martin.

Krno to ksfo ...touched down just a few minuted ago

https://imgur.com/0sb64fT

the aida64 report for pictured flight:

https://imgur.com/LuEkeFh

2) I can boot to 5.5 at 1.6v    gonna need 1.7 for benchmarks  - thank you Rob A., but i'm not doing it 🙂

https://imgur.com/A1PiOAJ

3) 5.4 can be benched at 1.55 ...but will probably need 1.65+v for avx stuff ...and the cpu clock performance delta begins curve after 5.3

4) can, and will do 5.2 from here on out -leaving 5.0 behind

5)  I'm guessing that I could probably do a 9700K at 5Ghz across all cores at about the same power demands as I get with p3d 4.3 at 5.2.

I'm out 🙂

edit: oh, and voltage that seems just good enough, probably isn't. Back side current matters with p3d 4.3.

Edited by FunknNasty

1 hour ago, FunknNasty said:

1) I can do p3d 4.3 in all its glory at 5.3 ...uh huh 🙂   no medal for you Martin.

😒🤬 I WANT MY MEDAL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just got this eMail from Amazon on my Pre-Order

Hello,

We're contacting you about your order for Intel Core i9-9900K Desktop Processor 8 Cores up to 5.0 GHz Turbo Unlocked LGA1151 300 Series 95W. We recently learned that we may miss your delivery promise and apologize for the inconvenience. You'll still receive the item and you can track the status of or make any changes to your order under Your Orders on Amazon.com.

… URL

We value your business and hope to see you again soon.

Sincerely,

Customer Service

Amazon.com

I guess these get automatically sent when orders go past 7 days of promised availability.

Oh well, gives me more time to do a quality build job … who knows, maybe I'll get fancy with a wire color scheme and add some RGB fan color bling to go with my RGB memory bling … hmmm, how about setting up a thermal camera feed to a front panel LCD … haven't seen anyone do that yet.

Cheers, Rob.

I received the same email about my 9900K orders.  And I can't find the 9900K for sale on Amazon at this time... (don't know how long that's been going on).

Greg

Yeah, have to check back in-

My "slamm'n" 5.2  cleaned up:

Lax to sfo

https://imgur.com/1awQYna

full hwinfo page -the above time duration was clipped https://imgur.com/IupgNfE

realbench temps captured right after flight

https://imgur.com/xO3dKIG

This picture showing showing dynamic lighting with some shadows, at the end of my flight this morning:  https://imgur.com/Ehf58Kv

Will show the VRM pages of the two 5.2 setups that differ in apparent performance  ..later

Do we really need the 8 cores?  :-)

16 hours ago, lownslo said:

I received the same email about my 9900K orders.  And I can't find the 9900K for sale on Amazon at this time... (don't know how long that's been going on).

Greg

I got the email, too.  I thought they still showed it at 579.99USD on 10/25.  I pre-ordered at 529.99 on 10/8.  Maybe someone at Amazon finally woke up and decided that maybe it wasn't a great idea to keep selling something that doesn't exist, except in engineering samples.  😏

I ordered a Maximus XI Code from Newegg earlier this week (now out-of-stock) which has shipped, and I have the TridentZ RGB 4400 CL18 16GB kit in hand (Newegg - now unavailable - may or may not be restocked (whaaa?)), plus a Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic case to put it all in.  I don't know when I should order the 970 EVO M.2, PSU, and AIO.  While I haven't done any builds in the last 5 years, I have built my own systems for 30 years and I've never had this much trouble finding key components in stock. 

While I am getting pumped to do my first new gaming build in several years, at least my 6 year old 3570k is sitll humming along nicely, so I'm not hurting.

Larry

i9-9900k@5.0 HT, Maximus XI Code, 16GB TridentZ @ 4000, 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hydro, ekwb EK-KIT P360 water, 4K@30, W10 Pro, P3D v5.0

1 hour ago, FunknNasty said:

Do we really need the 8 cores?  🙂

Just a question from a technical word not allowed about to take the plunge into the Z390/i9 realm: Am I totally wrong to think that setting one or two cores to let's say 5,4 Ghz (Core0 obviously) or even higher and the others to considerably lower values should bring a lot of benefit to P3D without pushing the temperature limit of the cpu? Just asking because my order was about ready to be sent when I saw the debate about the overclock of the 9900k starting.

Edit: Wow, don't know why the forum software didn't allow that word. So, here's what I wanted to say in other words: someone not having enough knowledge, understanding, or information

Edited by Tom_L
clarifcation

Gigabyte Aorus Z390Master, i9-9900k @ 5.1 Ghz all cores, RTX 2080, 32 GB RAM

12 minutes ago, LRW said:

I have built my own systems for 30 years and I've never had this much trouble finding key components in stock.

Yep, I too have not had such difficulty securing parts in my 30 years of building.  You'd think companies who are constantly whining about wanting/needing more sales would put more products on the retailers' shelves!

I waited to order (from Amazon) until I actually saw some reviews (then I was convinced folks other than Intel actually had 9900K's), and like you paid $530.  Curious thing... I could buy a Code MB then but the Hero was not in stock yet at Amazon (and I needed 2 of the latter).  I ordered all 3 MB's at the same time as I ordered the 9900K's on the 20th.  The Hero's were noted to be in stock on the 27th and ship on the 31st.  Yet all 3 motherboards arrived here on the 24th!!  I cancelled one of the 9900K's on the 22nd, and me thinks I wasn't the only one cancelling CPU/MB orders late last weekend and early this week.

Greg

Too funny, I was on Newegg's Auto Notify for the 9900K, I get their email (my mail app is always active 24/7) and immediately clicked the link to order one and went thru the process to my payment and hit submit and got returned to a page that said the item is now out of stock.  This process literally took me about 10-15 seconds from notification and they got sold out AFTER I hit payment submit.  Hopefully some of you waiting for the 9900K managed to get the order done in 5 seconds or less.

How many did Newegg have, 3 maybe 4 units?  I have about 50 other Auto Notify form various web sites, lets see if any of those pan out.  Amazon Pre-Order is still in limbo land … no ETA.  There is "limited" supply and then there's whatever this is with Intel … but whatever the problem is, it's not from "explosive growth" at +2.7% for year … hardly "explosive".

Cheers, Rob.

18 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Too funny, I was on Newegg's Auto Notify for the 9900K, I get their email (my mail app is always active 24/7) and immediately clicked the link to order one and went thru the process to my payment and hit submit and got returned to a page that said the item is now out of stock.  This process literally took me about 10-15 seconds from notification and they got sold out AFTER I hit payment submit.  Hopefully some of you waiting for the 9900K managed to get the order done in 5 seconds or less.

How many did Newegg have, 3 maybe 4 units?  I have about 50 other Auto Notify form various web sites, lets see if any of those pan out.  Amazon Pre-Order is still in limbo land … no ETA.  There is "limited" supply and then there's whatever this is with Intel … but whatever the problem is, it's not from "explosive growth" at +2.7% for year … hardly "explosive".

Cheers, Rob.

I got the same notification.  I guess I'm fortunate that I was slower than you. I didn't have to jump through as many hoops as you.  I got the out-of-stock on my first click. 

Larry

i9-9900k@5.0 HT, Maximus XI Code, 16GB TridentZ @ 4000, 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hydro, ekwb EK-KIT P360 water, 4K@30, W10 Pro, P3D v5.0