Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

New Samsung VR headset revealed: No screen door effect?

It appears that Samsung has been spotted preparing a new headset that directly tackles the dreaded VR screen door effect. Read the whole thing here: https://www.roadtovr.com/samsung-odyssey-plus-price-anti-sde-display/

pgGJ8E.jpg

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

There is so much going into VR right now, and so many changes coming, that I've decided to wait it out rather than play Keep Up With the Jones.  The future of VR promises to be VERY exciting!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I agree Dave.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Wow, as a former Rift user, I may be up for this depending on reviews.

This sounds more like a diffuser that is a simple optical layer (like scotch tape) that was tried by a lot of DK2 users to reduce SDE. Similar to the following:
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/2dq69k/comparison_of_dk2_screen_door_effect_with_and/

If it's not overdone - that is, it becomes blurry - this could be very nice. I like the price and the fact that it doesn't require any more CPU/GPU power. I think some reviews are in order (CV1, Vive Pro, PiMax5k+, Odyssey, Odyssey+) and for me, flight sims as visual benchmarks. I have heard that WMR headsets don't have an ASW (half-frame HMD rate)support really yet - maybe whatever Steam provides but not as good as ASW. Also, is the head-tracking good enough for flight simming?

I'd like to see a PiMax 5K+ with a similar SDE reducer.

Edited by whitav8

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

21 minutes ago, whitav8 said:

I have heard that WMR headsets don't have an ASW (half-frame HMD rate)

https://www.roadtovr.com/steamvr-motion-smoothing-asw-alex-vlachos/

Devons rig

I am a bit confused about Steam (Valve) Motion Smoothing because the Odyssey+ is running with Windows WMR - isn't it?

A quote from your article:

Valve’s Alex Vlachos tells Road to VR that Motion Smoothing is similar to Oculus’ ASW, but not identical.

“We feed the last two frames from the application to the GPU’s video encode chip to generate motion vectors (which are very rough), then [Valve and Oculus each have their own] methods for filtering those vector fields and applying them to the most recent application frame to generate a new frame,” he said. “So ASW, SteamVR Motion Smoothing, and WMR Motion Reprojection are just different implementations of the same high-level tech.”

Like I said above - I hope someone can do a great review on the Odyssey+ with a flight sim (maybe SweViver of Pimax 5k+ fame) - even though the Field of View is somewhat less than PiMax 5K+ (150 degrees Normal mode versus 110 degrees for Odyssey+ )

Edited by whitav8

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

My impression was that this update targeted anything that used Steam VR, Including WMR headsets. I could be wrong.  https://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/announcements/detail/1696061565016280495

Devons rig

I'm interested in trying this out, but I'm going to wait for some reviews from other pilots before buying it.  I tried the Rift and Odyssey, and didn't like the limitations of the Odyssey in addition to the resolution.  You can also move around more in the VR world with the Rift because it has more axes than the Odyssey.  While this doesn't make much of a difference in P3D, it takes away from what's possible in VR in other games.  However, I'm hooked on VR and will definitely buy the first headset that makes P3D look realistic enough for my tastes.