Hi,

you wonder about the topic's title? Well, I tested a rather unusual approach to Mestia, Svaneti, Georgia, that has the shape of an Eight "8". It was shown at this video (extreme time lapse)

and is rather unusual, as the approach is usually flown not above Mestia town, but behind the mountain ridge south of it.

However, I wanted to test it, and I choose the Aeroprakt A-22 Ultralight plane (thank god it made it over the almost 10,000 ft high Svaneti range).

Take off at Telavi:

3BwKkhg.jpg

Ah1lmTt.jpg

Gaining height above the Alazani Valley, in Eastern Georgia

c2eQ3ow.jpg

Hours later, after crossing Tbilisi and most of Georgia, the Western Caucasus (containing the highest summits, here: Mt. Shkhara 5,200 mt.) comes into sight. The church below the plane marks Latpari Pass, 2,830 mt. high. It is actually a dummy, as the real church is much smaller.

9exqlpv.jpg

The western slope of Mt. Tetnuldi (ca. 4,900 mt. high). Some weeks ago in real world, I went up this slope by car up to more than 3,000 mts - quite as high as this plane flies.

OcKcTcm.jpg

Now Mt. Ushba, landmark of Svaneti, rises over Mestia

h0oeZEo.jpg

wxYtMWq.jpg

Carving the "8"

O5zwxTG.jpg

Final approach

Ir17NeG.jpg

2jPngtl.jpg

6tDUTFJ.jpg

UjfA0q0.jpg

dd4ZYCf.jpg

Rn3WVrG.jpg

Scenery: Telavi and Mestia freeware scenery by Georgian Virtual Airports, adapted to FS2004 by myself

Plane: Aeroprakt A-22 freeware (beta) by Vlad Zhyhulsky

I hope you like the pictures. Have fun!

Regards,

Harald

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

That's what we used to refer to as a "Graveyard" approach. If you weren't on it properly, that's where you would end up.

Great video.  Thanks.

18 hours ago, HaraldG said:

Hi,

you wonder about the topic's title? Well, I tested a rather unusual approach to Mestia, Svaneti, Georgia, that has the shape of an Eight "8". It was shown at this video (extreme time lapse)

and is rather unusual, as the approach is usually flown not above Mestia town, but behind the mountain ridge south of it.

However, I wanted to test it, and I choose the Aeroprakt A-22 Ultralight plane (thank god it made it over the almost 10,000 ft high Svaneti range).

Take off at Telavi:

3BwKkhg.jpg

Ah1lmTt.jpg

Gaining height above the Alazani Valley, in Eastern Georgia

c2eQ3ow.jpg

Hours later, after crossing Tbilisi and most of Georgia, the Western Caucasus (containing the highest summits, here: Mt. Shkhara 5,200 mt.) comes into sight. The church below the plane marks Latpari Pass, 2,830 mt. high. It is actually a dummy, as the real church is much smaller.

9exqlpv.jpg

The western slope of Mt. Tetnuldi (ca. 4,900 mt. high). Some weeks ago in real world, I went up this slope by car up to more than 3,000 mts - quite as high as this plane flies.

OcKcTcm.jpg

Now Mt. Ushba, landmark of Svaneti, rises over Mestia

h0oeZEo.jpg

wxYtMWq.jpg

Carving the "8"

O5zwxTG.jpg

Final approach

Ir17NeG.jpg

2jPngtl.jpg

6tDUTFJ.jpg

UjfA0q0.jpg

dd4ZYCf.jpg

Rn3WVrG.jpg

Scenery: Telavi and Mestia freeware scenery by Georgian Virtual Airports, adapted to FS2004 by myself

Plane: Aeroprakt A-22 freeware (beta) by Vlad Zhyhulsky

I hope you like the pictures. Have fun!

Regards,

Harald

Nice shots, HaraldG!

Thanks Patrick, Rick and Claudio for commenting.

The approach may be demanding, but Svaneti has such a beauty landscape and nice people which are rewarding all difficulties at the journey, may it be by plane or by car.

What a nerve-racking approach in the video! Thanks for it, Harald! It feels like one could almost reach out and touch the mountains, they are so near!  Plus the appearance of occasional cloud-covers....

You must've had a challenge (carving the "8") even in the SIM. Very nice post!

10 hours ago, P_7878 said:

You must've had a challenge (carving the "8") even in the SIM

Thanks for commenting! That's why I choose that slow plane - almost still too fast...

• Like 1