Sign in to follow this  
killairbus

How to make FSX accept long tail numbers?

Hi,

I have the default Copa 737-800 and its got a tail number that doesn't fit in the tail number box in the details menu. How do I modify FSX in order for it accept the full tail number? 

-Angelo Busato

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

23 minutes ago, killairbus said:

How do I modify FSX in order for it accept the full tail number?

You can't do it in the sim, and you shouldn't attempt to change it. It will cause the aircraft to stop working.

1 hour ago, scandinavian13 said:

You can't do it in the sim, and you shouldn't attempt to change it. It will cause the aircraft to stop working.

No I mean in the details pop up of the aircraft under change aircraft right after opening FSX. Do you what I mean?

Because of course changing anything tail number related IN sim will result in problems. 

-Angelo Busato

25 minutes ago, killairbus said:

No I mean in the details pop up of the aircraft under change aircraft right after opening FSX. Do you what I mean?

Correct.

Do not change this. In the sim, out of the sim - anywhere. This item is not to be changed - no matter the location.

25 minutes ago, killairbus said:

Because of course changing anything tail number related IN sim will result in problems. 

Changing it anywhere will cause problems.

Do not change it.

42 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

Correct.

Do not change this. In the sim, out of the sim - anywhere. This item is not to be changed - no matter the location.

Changing it anywhere will cause problems.

Do not change it.

So I'm supposed to just fly with an incomplete tail number? 

The full number is HP-1526CMP

fsx will only take it up to HP-1526C

-Angelo Busato

1 hour ago, killairbus said:

So I'm supposed to just fly with an incomplete tail number? 

Given Kyle's previous - and very clear posts - the answer to your question would be: Yes.

3 hours ago, Anders Bermann said:

Given Kyle's previous - and very clear posts - the answer to your question would be: Yes.

It's not clear to me but ok.

its my faul for not explaining my concerns in an efficient manner and I apologize for the time wasted.

-Angelo Busato

15 minutes ago, killairbus said:

It's not clear to me but ok.

its my faul for not explaining my concerns in an efficient manner and I apologize for the time wasted.

It was pretty clear what it was you were trying to do, and what Kyle is trying to tell you that what you are trying to do isn't possible. But question. Why are you flying the default FSX 737-800 in the first place.

11 minutes ago, Captain Kevin said:

It was pretty clear what it was you were trying to do, and what Kyle is trying to tell you that what you are trying to do isn't possible. But question. Why are you flying the default FSX 737-800 in the first place.

Kevin he is flying the pmdg 737 but the registration on the aircraft is limited. He wants it to be like the irl jet and not shortened.

22 minutes ago, ph-cxz said:

Kevin he is flying the pmdg 737 but the registration on the aircraft is limited. He wants it to be like the irl jet and not shortened.

the op has stated in his  first  post his is  flying the default copa   737  which suggest its  not a pmdg  aircraft

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/3417/fsx-copa-airlines-boeing-737-800/

4 minutes ago, pete_auau said:

the op has stated in his  first  post his is  flying the default copa   737  which suggest its  not a pmdg  aircraft

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/3417/fsx-copa-airlines-boeing-737-800/

The default copa could also mean the default livery that is included with the pmdg 737. But if your right then op is in the wrong forum. So first let’s get straight which b737 he is using.

The FSX default 737-800 takes the information from the tail number box that he's trying to change. The PMDG Boeing 737-800 doesn't, it just gets painted on the texture. If it was, in fact, the PMDG Boeing 737-800 he was flying, then I would say that there's no point in trying to change the registration within FSX since it wouldn't show up on the plane anyway.

18 hours ago, ph-cxz said:

The default copa could also mean the default livery that is included with the pmdg 737. But if your right then op is in the wrong forum. So first let’s get straight which b737 he is using.

yep  agree   would be good  to know  one  way  or  the other,  but  the  "default"    got  me  thinking😀

I'm still thinking it's the default 737-800 he's talking about here. The PMDG 737-800 would have already had the registration painted on the texture since that's the only way to get the registration on the plane, in which case, not only is there no reason to try to change it via the FSX tail number box, but doing so does absolutely nothing since it's painted on the plane already. The default 737-800 takes the registration from the tail number box that he's trying to change.

I'm sorry for the confusion. 

The PMDG 737-800. HP-1526CMP. As downloaded from the Op center. 

Here's the real issue: The plane's tail number in the FMC as shown in Aircraft set up page, changes if you insert a different tail number in the details' tail number box. Which has a limited amount of characters for input.

When I open FSX -> change aircraft -> select the Copa -> details; the tail number in the box often has the number of an aircraft adjacent to the Copa in the selection menu. 

If I load the plane with the wrong tail number in the details box, the set up page lists that wrong tail number in the FMC. This means if I try to load a panel state from another aircraft, it won't go to my Copa plane, but to the one with the wrong tail number.

I now close the sim, open it again, change aircraft, select Copa, details, and fill in HP-1526C. 

I load the plane and now the set up page says HP-1526C. How do I insert a permanent, full, tail number (either in the FMC, cfg file, details box)? 

-Angelo Busato

Also for future reference, what is a universally understood term for the "details" I am talking about? Is it details window? Details tab? What do i call that front page of FSX that shows the loaded plane rotating on its axis? 

Aircraft preview window but there is no standard imo. I see what you mean.  The tail number box for ATC. At least in p3d it shows up correct. What does ATC_id show you in fsx.

Okay, so I stand corrected. Did you try doing it from the aircraft.cfg and seeing what happens?

37 minutes ago, ph-cxz said:

Aircraft preview window but there is no standard imo. I see what you mean.  The tail number box for ATC. At least in p3d it shows up correct. What does ATC_id show you in fsx.

It changes randomly, sometimes it uses the one next to it, sometimes it uses a tail number from a PMDG 737 that's two rows up. All my PMDG planes have this quirk so before I fly I have to re type the tail number. 

-Angelo Busato

27 minutes ago, Captain Kevin said:

Okay, so I stand corrected. Did you try doing it from the aircraft.cfg and seeing what happens?

No I have not, I didn't want to mess something up and I am away from my sim for the week.

-Angelo Busato

28 minutes ago, killairbus said:

It changes randomly, sometimes it uses the one next to it, sometimes it uses a tail number from a PMDG 737 that's two rows up. All my PMDG planes have this quirk so before I fly I have to re type the tail number. 

-Angelo Busato

This is an FSX issue, not PMDG. FSX remembers tail number changes made in the details screen according to the variation number (FLTSIM.xx in aircraft.cfg). If you delete a 737 texture in the OC the variation numbers for other liveries will change. This confuses FSX and it may apply any tailnumber changes you made in the details screen to a different livery to the one you altered. This is why Kyle was so adamant that you should not do this. There is a solution to reset this so you don't have to keep changing tail numbers. Navigate to this folder on your system (use your username and drive letter of course).

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\SimObjects\PMDG 737-800NGX WL

You will find a file called state.cfg there. Delete it and all the tail number and callsign changes FSX has recorded will be deleted too. You should find PMDG aircraft now load as intended (assuming you havent changed aircraft.cfg).

I don't have the NGX installed in FSX any more but it appears to me that it is FSX which truncates tail numbers to eight characters if you change them in the details screen.

Edited by kevinh
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kevinh said:

This is an FSX issue, not PMDG. FSX remembers tail number changes made in the details screen according to the variation number (FLTSIM.xx in aircraft.cfg). If you delete a 737 texture in the OC the variation numbers for other liveries will change. This confuses FSX and it may apply any tailnumber changes you made in the details screen to a different livery to the one you altered. This is why Kyle was so adamant that you should not do this. There is a solution to reset this so you don't have to keep changing tail numbers. Navigate to this folder on your system (use your username and drive letter of course).

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\SimObjects\PMDG 737-800NGX WL

You will find a file called state.cfg there. Delete it and all the tail number and callsign changes FSX has recorded will be deleted too. You should find PMDG aircraft now load as intended (assuming you havent changed aircraft.cfg).

I don't have the NGX installed in FSX any more but it appears to me that it is FSX which truncates tail numbers to eight characters if you change them in the details screen.

Sorry I forgot to mention it that this tail number switching happens to my non-PMDG addons as well, I dont want to bash PMDG for everything which is why I used the word "quirk" and not "bug" because I assumed this was an FSX effect. 

Nontheless thank you for the detailed response and for clarifying what Kyle meant.

-Angelo Busato

On 12/2/2018 at 3:47 AM, scandinavian13 said:

Even if you don't change anything there is a problem in the NGX with long tail numbers (both P3D and FSX). I just reinstalled the NGX for FSX to see if I could replicate what the OP has reported. When you first load the Copa aircraft (either P3D or FSX) it shows the full length tail number HP-1526CMP in the preview or details screen (P3D or FSX respectively). However, in the CDU under PMDG SETUP/AIRCRAFT it shows the aircraft to be HP-1526CM. There is no aircraft.ini file for this tail number so it uses the default PMDG options (also creating an aircraft file called HP-1526CM.ini). You can select LOAD FROM ANOTHER and HP-1526CMP is listed. If you select that the appropriate Copa options appear.

FSX will further confuse things if you try and edit the tail number in the details screen, as the OP did. It seems the FSX UI can't cope with more than 8 characters as an input for a tail number and PMDG has a limit at 9 characters. This may also apply to the 747 and 777 too.

Edited by kevinh
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, killairbus said:

Sorry I forgot to mention it that this tail number switching happens to my non-PMDG addons as well, I dont want to bash PMDG for everything which is why I used the word "quirk" and not "bug" because I assumed this was an FSX effect. 

Nontheless thank you for the detailed response and for clarifying what Kyle meant.

-Angelo Busato

If you delete the state.cfg file as I mentioned there will still be a problem with this livery as described in the post above. In the short term the simplest workaround is each time you load the Copa livery load the aircraft options for HP-1526CMP from the CDU. It won't change the ATC id for FSX but that isn't very important.

A semi-permanent workaround involves changing the tail number for the Copa livery to HP1526CMP (i.e. delete the hyphen). This makes it 9 character long and the NGX will be happy.

1. Delete the state.cfg file for the 737-800NGX WL (if there is one)
  2. In FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\PMDG 737-800NGX WL edit aircraft.cfg, replace HP-1526CMP with HP1526CMP
  3. In FSX\PMDG\PMDG 737 NGX\Aircraft folder rename file HP-1526CMP.ini to HP1526CMP.ini.
  4. Delete any related truncated .ini files in the Aircraft folder so they won't appear in the NGX CDU menu.
  5. Copy the renamed file to the backup folder.

This is a bit more involved but will mean you can load the aircraft as normal and not have to remember to select the correct aircraft options every time.

Edited by kevinh

On 12/3/2018 at 11:27 PM, kevinh said:

If you delete the state.cfg file as I mentioned there will still be a problem with this livery as described in the post above. In the short term the simplest workaround is each time you load the Copa livery load the aircraft options for HP-1526CMP from the CDU. It won't change the ATC id for FSX but that isn't very important.

A semi-permanent workaround involves changing the tail number for the Copa livery to HP1526CMP (i.e. delete the hyphen). This makes it 9 character long and the NGX will be happy.

1. Delete the state.cfg file for the 737-800NGX WL (if there is one)
  2. In FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\PMDG 737-800NGX WL edit aircraft.cfg, replace HP-1526CMP with HP1526CMP
  3. In FSX\PMDG\PMDG 737 NGX\Aircraft folder rename file HP-1526CMP.ini to HP1526CMP.ini.
  4. Delete any related truncated .ini files in the Aircraft folder so they won't appear in the NGX CDU menu.
  5. Copy the renamed file to the backup folder.

This is a bit more involved but will mean you can load the aircraft as normal and not have to remember to select the correct aircraft options every time.

Thanks for the solutions, I'll probably leave it as is since there's no 100% fix for this.

-Angelo Busato