Sign in to follow this  
regis9

Carenado in X-Plane

You're welcome.  Make a backup of the plane on disk to if you have to. ,just in case🙂

Edited by Paul Deluca

"The only thing you need to watch out for is the version of the sim the plane is made for. ONLY get the version with only 'XP11' in the title. Everything else was made for XP10 and at best includes a minor compatibility patch for an older version of XP11. Given the massive changes made to XP11 during its run you can expect flight model abnormalities or even gauges that don't work as intended. There is no discount/upgrade path for owners of the older versions to move to the new XP11 native version- you need to pay the full price. "

Uh oh! I just bought the Cessna Skymaster for XP11. I didn't see if it's for 10 or 11. I just assumed, like an word not allowed, that it was for XP11. I can't find out 'til Christmas. That's when I get to open up my present, my wife said. Til then, no Xp 11. I'm just messing with the demo right now. Does anyone have it running in XP11? No issues, I hope. 

7 minutes ago, Joe N Lorraine said:

Uh oh! I just bought the Cessna Skymaster for XP11. I didn't see if it's for 10 or 11. I just assumed, like an word not allowed, that it was for XP11. I can't find out 'til Christmas. That's when I get to open up my present, my wife said. Til then, no Xp 11. I'm just messing with the demo right now. Does anyone have it running in XP11? No issues, I hope. 

The Carenado Skymaster is an XP10 model, not updated for XP11. Since it's a piston engine plane, it might still fly reasonably well in XP11. It's the turboprops that needed the most work for v11.

I don't have this model, but you could check in the Carenado forum over at the .org to see if anyone is having problems with it. 

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

2 hours ago, Paraffin said:

The Carenado Skymaster is an XP10 model, not updated for XP11

Thanks. I just went back and checked to make sure that I didn't screw up. It doesn't say, anywhere, that it's for XP10. They really should put that there. Maybe it's because it works in both. I hope so, anyway. I'll check at Carenado. Thanks, again.

2 hours ago, Joe N Lorraine said:

Thanks. I just went back and checked to make sure that I didn't screw up. It doesn't say, anywhere, that it's for XP10. They really should put that there. Maybe it's because it works in both. I hope so, anyway. I'll check at Carenado. Thanks, again.

Did you buy it from Carenado directly, or from the .org store? The Carenado site is explicit about it being for XP10 ("Only for X-Plane 10.5x):

https://www.carenado.com/sitecarenado/product/c337h-skymaster-hd-series-xplane/

If you bought it from the .org store, under the Requirements tab they say "X-Plane 10 or X-Plane 11":

https://store.x-plane.org/C337-Skymaster-HD-Series_p_182.html#tab-4

This is confusing if not downright fraudulent (IMO), because while it may "work" in XP11, it's not guaranteed to perform to specs in that version. Carenado makes this more clear on their own sales site, not listing any XP11 compatibility at all.

This difference between how Carenado and the .org store lists system requirements for the same model has existed for a while now, and I don't know why Carenado doesn't clear it up. 

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I  had this same issue with the PA-44 Seminole and the C210 Centurion. Once I pasted in the registration number and activated, then reloaded the aircraft, the people sticking out of the airplanes were gone. I think its Carenado's way of making sure you are using a legitimate, licensed aircraft. 

They have lot's of little cool features that they are missing in p3d like dimming panel lights,domelights on swivel that move and actually move the light with them ect

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

My Carenado C90B King Air was clearly for X-Plane 11. I sent an email to Carenado support last weekend but no answer yet. I'm starting to be not only disappointed with the Carenado support, but also with what seems to be a clear scam using the discount to sell products that are not valid for what they claim to be. Very bad Carenado! 

Edited by juanpmar

Joe N Lorraine

I'd been waiting for the 337 Skymaster (favorite aircraft next to the 58 Baron), B58 Baron and, Bonanza V35 to get their XPv11 or XPv12 HD upgrade pass and wasn't going to pay the kind of bucks they're (he) is asking. But when they went on sale 50% off, meh... what the heck.

Flown all three in 11.26r2 and 11.30b7 without any discernible issues. Now I've not done full testing in a lot of situations but have only flow around for an hour or so in each. The only thing I've noticed is no switch flipping with a scroll wheel. There were minor texture gaps here and then. On the Bonanza V35 I was getting a repeating starting sound but think it was pilot error given the switch didn't spring back.

Otherwise .. the value is approaching what I paid for. I'd still like to see these three done in XP v11+ quality and features. (HD or 4k textures)

Finally Carenado support answered to a second e-mail. Installing the Microsoft Visual C ++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64) solved the problem. I had installed other Microsoft Visual C ++ like the ones from 2013, 2015 and 2017 but not the one from 2010. Carenado also proposed the installation of other Microsoft Visual C ++ in case the 2010 one didn´t work, like the ones from 2005 and 2008. I hope it helps others with the same SASL problem. Thanks for the help, especially to Paul.

Edited by juanpmar

No problem Juan. I went through the same thing with visual c. I tried the newest one, and my sim rejected it. So i used an old one from their site  BINGO!!!! I was in business.Happy to see that Carenado was able to help you in this case. Happy Flying!!!!!

On 12/6/2018 at 1:42 PM, avgaskoolaid said:

Carenado planes in XPlane aren't really 100% 'Carenado' planes- the model and textures are ported over but then the systems, sounds, and flight dynamics of the plane is essentially built from the ground up by a small company called Thranda. They are actually a pretty good developer and also port Just Flight's products and make planes independently, most notably the Quest Kodiak which is regarded very well. 

Thranda's work on everything besides the textures and model makes Carenado's planes in XPlane far better than their P3D counterparts. For example, I bought the Beechcraft 1900D when it first came out for FSX and used it in both FSX and P3D. I could keep the throttle at 100% from takeoff to touchdown with no negative effects. As soon as I moved to XPlane I bought the XP10 version of the 1900D. I was surprised when I followed the exact same procedures as in FSX/P3D and ended up with an engine fire 5 minutes after takeoff. Turns out that the Thranda version of the planes requires you to pay attention to the engines. 

That said, the B1900D has some inaccuracies and isn't among the best of the best Carenado ports. Their more recent ports, such as the Citation, AeroCommander, and Dornier 228 are far better but unfortunately aren't on sale. 

I don't own the C208, but $18 for the B1900D is a steal and I recommend that you get it. For the regular price, it's a little expensive for what you get, but for the sale price it's a no brainer. Don't expect something like the Majestic Q400 or LES Saab 340, expect a relatively good aircraft that you can fly from point A to point B with reasonable accuracy and minimal bugs. Also, I've painted/ported over a boatload of liveries for the plane that you can find by searching my username on x-plane.org, with a few more WIP. 

The only thing you need to watch out for is the version of the sim the plane is made for. ONLY get the version with only 'XP11' in the title. Everything else was made for XP10 and at best includes a minor compatibility patch for an older version of XP11. Given the massive changes made to XP11 during its run you can expect flight model abnormalities or even gauges that don't work as intended. There is no discount/upgrade path for owners of the older versions to move to the new XP11 native version- you need to pay the full price. 

..tnx for the the very useful hints, I was wondering if I should stay away from whatever had been initially design for XP10 & you confirmed my thoughts, better stay away and look for xp11 Birds 

• Like 1

On 12/12/2018 at 6:12 PM, Tacyon said:

Joe N Lorraine

I'd been waiting for the 337 Skymaster (favorite aircraft next to the 58 Baron), B58 Baron and, Bonanza V35 to get their XPv11 or XPv12 HD upgrade pass and wasn't going to pay the kind of bucks they're (he) is asking. But when they went on sale 50% off, meh... what the heck.

Flown all three in 11.26r2 and 11.30b7 without any discernible issues. Now I've not done full testing in a lot of situations but have only flow around for an hour or so in each. The only thing I've noticed is no switch flipping with a scroll wheel. There were minor texture gaps here and then. On the Bonanza V35 I was getting a repeating starting sound but think it was pilot error given the switch didn't spring back.

Otherwise .. the value is approaching what I paid for. I'd still like to see these three done in XP v11+ quality and features. (HD or 4k textures)

..did you fly VR with the B58 ? 

I wish too to see the B58 "Re-Build" from ground up, but since LR came with stock one, I do't think Carenado will put any affords & allocate resources