Sign in to follow this  
regis9

Carenado in X-Plane

9 hours ago, Paul Deluca said:

I came close Avgas: I was expecting a new generation airliner like the Mitsubishi MRJ.  France 89 had it perfect.   Good guess!!!!!!!.

Let's hope we get to enjoy it on XP too. Considering what they have been doing so far, it's likely but they have lots of planes to bring still from their FSX/P3D lineup.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

Question: I have the Carenado SAAB S340 and during start-up, the instructions indicate holding the start switch and then, "...when Ng has ceased to accelerate and ITT below 175C" advance the condition lever to start. Since XPL does not allow me to see wto parts of the panel at the same time, in this case the O/H panel where the start switch is, and the pedestal where the condition lever is located, moving the condition lever is a bit of a guess using my joystick. I found that if I set the condition levers to the Start position BEFORE engaging the starter, and then guessing the Ng is no longer accelerating, the engines start up OK. Of course, I also wait a few seconds after pressing the Start button to add the ignition.

I am wondering if anyone else has another procedure they follow?

Thanks

Denny Knepper, Newville, PA

N

19 hours ago, Ralf Maylin said:

I use a saved view for the overhead panel so changing the view takes a second. 

Some clarification please: I could not find a menu command for saving a view. Do you mean a screenshot? Or something else? The saved view would have to be "live" in order to hold the start button left or right while, simultaneously, moving the condition lever to the start position. Are you able to do that with the method you suggested?

Thanks for expanding on the information. I'm a bit dense. 🙄

Topcat, you can save a set of quick views with the numeric keypad.

Move the camera to whatever instrument cluster or flight control you want a close look at. Then save that view by hitting Ctrl + (number) on the keypad.

You can then recall that view with the number key. Hit the key again and it returns to the previous view. It's not a sudden jump; there is a brief swing of the camera back and forth that helps it feel a little more realistic.

The quick views on the numeric keypad are saved with each individual aircraft, so it can be a different set of views for each plane. The quick views can also be assigned to switches and buttons on your flight controls, if you have some to spare for these custom views. 

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I arrange the views for all of my airplanes the same way. Overhead, pedestral, left, right and so on. Once you have done that for your aircraft it’s so easy and comfortable navigating thru your views.

• Like 1

Thanks all. I am aware of this feature and have used it. I was just wondering if there is a way to have more than one "live" view (i.e. you can press buttons, turn knobs, etc.) while still viewing the original view. FSX and P3D allows opening several windows which X_Plane does not. The instructions for the S340 indicate holding the start switch in the on position a few seconds and then, while doing so, moving the condition lever to the Start position. That cannot be done when you switch to the pedestal view since the start switch returns to the center position as soon as you move the mouse. That resulted in the engines spooling down and not starting when I added the fuel.

I did find that if I place the condition levers in the Start position prior to pressing the start switch, the engines will start without issue. I realize that in the real world that may cause a fire in the engine due to the fuel pooling before the turbine starts spinning, but it seems to work. Part of the problem is the Carenado instructions (which never will win any awards) are taken from the actual aircraft and assume two pilots: one holds the start switch and the other then places the condition lever into Start after a few seconds of the engine spooling. As with a lot of Carenado's instructions, I usually have to modify some things for flight simulation. 

Thanks again!

1 hour ago, topcat_1952 said:

Thanks all. I am aware of this feature and have used it. I was just wondering if there is a way to have more than one "live" view (i.e. you can press buttons, turn knobs, etc.) while still viewing the original view. FSX and P3D allows opening several windows which X_Plane does not.

No, X-Plane doesn't allow "picture in picture" views except in a very limited situation like the GPS pop-ups, and it took a while for that to make it into the sim.

The design philosophy of X-Plane has always been to keep the simulation as seamless as possible, looking like you're operating a real plane from the cockpit with quick views for closeups, and not a bunch of pop-up overlays that you wouldn't see in real life. 

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

7 hours ago, topcat_1952 said:

Thanks all. I am aware of this feature and have used it. I was just wondering if there is a way to have more than one "live" view (i.e. you can press buttons, turn knobs, etc.) while still viewing the original view. FSX and P3D allows opening several windows which X_Plane does not. The instructions for the S340 indicate holding the start switch in the on position a few seconds and then, while doing so, moving the condition lever to the Start position. That cannot be done when you switch to the pedestal view since the start switch returns to the center position as soon as you move the mouse. That resulted in the engines spooling down and not starting when I added the fuel.

I did find that if I place the condition levers in the Start position prior to pressing the start switch, the engines will start without issue. I realize that in the real world that may cause a fire in the engine due to the fuel pooling before the turbine starts spinning, but it seems to work. Part of the problem is the Carenado instructions (which never will win any awards) are taken from the actual aircraft and assume two pilots: one holds the start switch and the other then places the condition lever into Start after a few seconds of the engine spooling. As with a lot of Carenado's instructions, I usually have to modify some things for flight simulation. 

Thanks again!

Helps when you have a throttle quadrant and the CH one isnt bad for the price , i just use the prop and mixture levers and the throttle i use for speed brakes and helicopter collective

On 4/11/2019 at 12:19 PM, Longranger said:

I like it. I like especially the fact, that they really made a complete new Baron 58. This goes far beyond a simple upgrade. They have fixed many of the graphics bugs of the old version, the completely new sounds. I was just waiting for the Reality Expansion Pack from SimCoders to make a final comparison but in my opinion even the new B58 by itself was worth the money. In my opinion Carenados, or I should say Thrandas , best upgrade so far. You only see the difference in the lack of fine features in the textures. Although I would guess that the costs between such an upgrade a completely new plane (or more precise a new FSX/P3D conversion) is more or less the same.

they came out with one XP11, just wondering if it is a new one or only the one for xp10 which was upgraded and polished ??

Cheers

Yair

On 2/23/2019 at 8:56 AM, JGregory said:

We decided early on to model the Saab (as much as possible) as you would get it fresh from the factory  The "A" model was not produced with an FMS, and certainly not a GNS530 or GTN750.  Carenado has modeled a "B" model.  There are differences between the "A" and "B" as to what came out of the factory and what was installed as aftermarket equipment.  

We have pictures of "A" models with a GNS530 installed as aftermarket equipment, so our model does conform to real world possibilities.  

The airlines that use our product for training have not requested that we add an FMS into the "A" model.

When we do a "B" or "WT" version we will include the appropriate equipment

About 20 years ago i spent 3 years and approx 2000 hours in the B & B+. The B+ were purchased new and didn't have an fms, no tcas....just a very basic trimble gps that was used for "direct to" only. Interestingly the B models were leased from the USA and came with tcas (no fms) which at the time was not a Canadian requirement however we were told not to hold any USA airports as an alternate. We operated them from Winnipeg north into the arctic doing sked service onto 4000' of gravel off an ndb approach. Rankin (6000' paved) had a vor/dme approach then and Churchill had everything including an ils to one runway and 10,000' of pavement. After I left they were operated into one place with 3400' of gravel and quite an interesting slope to it (I'd flown n there in the HS748 before I moved to the saab. I really like having the GTN750 available in the Carenado product. I bought the LES product but have had problems with it and have parked it till they get the next patch/update out which hopefully will not be to far in the future. About 5 years ago my employer put me through the full initial course at Flight Safety to be the subject matter expert on the aircraft as I was the only person then in the office that had flown it....I really enjoyed coming back to the aircraft. To me it's a real great pilot's machine. I have found the Carenado version very good using it on X-P 11. I haven't used it on P3d.

20 hours ago, N1125Y said:

they came out with one XP11, just wondering if it is a new one or only the one for xp10 which was upgraded and polished ??

That depends. From Caranados side it is the old plane but Thrandas changed everything. They corrected multiple errors i8n the graphics model added effects changed the complete backround engine, replaced the sound effects and changed them to FMOD. For alll tzhese changes they had to started a whole new conversion process.Ahnd the result was really a new plane.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Longranger said:

That depends. From Caranados side it is the old plane but Thrandas changed everything. They corrected multiple errors i8n the graphics model added effects changed the complete backround engine, replaced the sound effects and changed them to FMOD. For alll tzhese changes they had to started a whole new conversion process.Ahnd the result was really a new plane.

..... tnx for the intel ...

I'm working on an instrument Panel for the B58 right now experimenting with the Stock one, but I think I'll give Carenado a shoot  

On 2/23/2019 at 3:00 PM, avgaskoolaid said:

Thanks, I didn't know that. I've edited my post. 

Great review thnx.

Daft question ....  if the SAAB never had an auto throttle,  why is a vnav button on the mcp ?

Without an AT it would be dangerous to use a vnav mode as it would require manual control of throttle or run into the danger of stalling or overspeed.

However, I am guessing that the carenado has a better fms in XP11 than in P3D ? I have it for P3D but have to use the GTN, which I don't like, and have recently installed XP11 to use in addition to P3D.

Given the fact that the XP11 fms allows for airways and calc of TOC and TOD, this surely means the XP11 version is much more realistic?

To be honest it is this ability to use the fms that is foremost in my mind, now I am trying to decide which to go for in XP11. 

I think I will go for the Carenado and use it with the fms, until the LES release a v2... if they ever do.

And of course visually it appears to be better, with librain and more shiny stuff - together with fmod sounds, with the only downside being a slightly less realistic flight model. But given I'm coming from the P3D version, I'm guessing it will seem significantly better in the flight modelling department ?

Edited by Gabe777